Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Mr Klaviator, if you're ever over this part of the world for a visit, then feel free to look me up, you can ride my car-tyre-equipped X8 250ie.

Not to sway anybody one way or the other, but here goes........

1. Handling: It needs a little bit more steering input on the bars to stay down, the sqr tyre has a very slight tendency to keep the bike upright.
2. Braking:improved.
3. Dynamics: The bike has less tendency to "tramtrack", and has more straight-line directional stability.
4. Lean angle: I have scraped both the centre-stand on one side and the stock muffler on the other while chasing friends on more suitable equipment.

Most importantly to me, I have now done 5500km on the tyre in 6 months, and it looks like new. Normally in my conditions (high heat in summer, lots of gravel, constant highway with abrasive surfacing), that means I'd be fitting my 3rd tyre by now........at the same price as my 145/70R12 Hankook car tyre.

Finally. It's not really that big a deal gentlemen, I rekn just ride the things, argue physics with college boys for a giggle if you must, but just ride.
Thanks for the offer although I doubt I'll be able to take you up on it. I have visited your country in the past but that was when my rich Uncle Sam was paying me to travel around the world.

It's good to see some one else riding their scooter like it's a sportbike

And I agree with you. It's not that big of a deal. It's not like anyone is being forced to put car tires on their bike.

PS. I have a MOTORCYCLE tire on the back of my Scooter. What does that make me?

Ride more and argue less

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #17
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
This topic has been extensively discussed in other parts of ADV. Has anyone seen a scooter running a car tire?
burgmanusa.com

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Back to the OP video. That car tire is on a Softail, not exactly the best handling motorcycle ever made. Might just be the perfect bike for a car tire. Uh, or maybe not? Anyway I have been wondering if trailer tires might be better for scooters. They have similar diameters and some even seem to have a slightly rounded profile, I'll find some pics. There are some "creepy ass cracker" cheap trailer tires out there so obviously you would want to avoid those.

This is a 10 inch Loadstar trailer tile.

andoulli screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 06:18 AM
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,352
If there is a trailer tire that is designed to deliver power/torque to propel a vehicle, then I would be incline to try it.

From what I know, trailer tires are not necessarily less expensive than car tires, do not last as long as car tires.. miss the purpose of getting a rear tire that's cheaper and longer lasting than moto tires.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
If there is a trailer tire that is designed to deliver power/torque to propel a vehicle, then I would be incline to try it.

From what I know, trailer tires are not necessarily less expensive than car tires, do not last as long as car tires.. miss the purpose of getting a rear tire that's cheaper and longer lasting than moto tires.
You make a number of good points. I'm not a member, nor will I ever be a member of the dark side. On the other hand CVT drives seem almost perfect for trailer tires in the measured way they transmit power, and the words power and torque are not often used in connection with smaller scoots. All this for those who might be inclined to experiment, again that would not be me. I want the best, safest, sportiest tire I can get for my two wheel vehicles.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I want the best, safest, sportiest tire I can get for my two wheel vehicles.
Not likely to find yourself the best, safest, sportiest tire; if you are not willing to experiment and try them all.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Not likely to find yourself the best, safest, sportiest tire; if you are not willing to experiment and try them all.
No, I'm willing to try different tires made to be mounted on my FJR or Silverwing, that kind of experimenting is fine with me. I'm not willing to experiment with dark side rubber, I'll leave that to those willing to take the risks.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
No, I'm willing to try different tires made to be mounted on my FJR or Silverwing, that kind of experimenting is fine with me. I'm not willing to experiment with dark side rubber, I'll leave that to those willing to take the risks.
I think you're missing the point of conducting experiments.

Yet you suggest those who are willing to experiment to try something that's not designed for powered vehicle; IMO trailer tires are far more dangerous than car tires mounted on motorcycles or scooters.

At least car tires are designed for heavier load with greater power output vehicles than motorcycles or scooters.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
The performance of any bike will always be limited by it's weakest link. In many cases that would be the nut that connects the seat to the handlebar.

Most bikes are also limited around curves by their clearance. I have yet to own a street legal bike that didn't start scraping stuff before the tires ran out of traction. It seems that most darksiders are on bikes that don't have really great cornering clearance so the car tire won't be a limiting factor anyway. I don't think that a car tire will have much affect on braking. The biggest problem I see with car tires is that it will change the way the bike feels. I talked to a darksider this weekend. He had a car tire on his cruiser. He said that the tire did feel weird but after a few weeks he got used to it and then it felt fine.

Let's face it, if you ride a lot it's a PITA and also expensive to constantly be getting new tires. How many of you run other than really sticky sport tires. If you do, you are compromising "safety" for economy.

I'm not planning on becoming a darksider myself but I'm not ready to critisize them when I have never tried it myself. If I owned a cruiser that I put a lot of miles on, I might try it.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
The performance of any bike will always be limited by it's weakest link. In many cases that would be the nut that connects the seat to the handlebar.
AKA, rider or operator.

"Not willing to try" hardly constitute as a factor that car tires can not outperform moto tires when mounted on motorcycles or scooters.

You don't have to ride conservatively when you have a car tire mounted on your 2-wheeled vehicle.

Just as any new tires mounted on your bike, take the time to learn how it behaves, handles and its limitations.

Honestly, how often does anyone scrap pegs or center stands on their bike regardless of type of tires mounted?

On my car tire mounted Burgman 650, I did it once about every other week.

On my regular moto tires CBR or Ninja, nearly never, because body positioning can compensate a lot of bike lean, and I don't like to spend money on replacing pegs.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
I think you're missing the point of conducting experiments.

I fail to see the humor here?

Yet you suggest those who are willing to experiment to try something that's not designed for powered vehicle; IMO trailer tires are far more dangerous than car tires mounted on motorcycles or scooters.

I'm not suggesting anyone do anything, just offering trailer tires as a possibility, especially smaller scooters. If you think a 15 hp scooter could over power a trailer tire, fine, that may well be the case. Like I said you made a number of good points, you want to continue to ignore that, that's fine as well.

At least car tires are designed for heavier load with greater power output vehicles than motorcycles or scooters.
I'm done.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
Cat0020
El cheapo

I make good point most of times with my posts, if not all of the time.

But regardless how many good points I make, closed-minded people will be that, of course you're done.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
I make good point most of times with my posts, if not all of the time.

But regardless how many good points I make, closed-minded people will be that, of course you're done.

Now that was funny there, I see what ya did.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
This topic has been extensively discussed in other parts of ADV. Has anyone seen a scooter running a car tire?
Yeah, I've got one in my garage. Last car tire I used went 35,000 miles. (and still had tread left.) I am going to change it and try out a tire that has a crazy long tread life warranty of 80,000 miles. Using the car tire is like riding the scoot with a scooter tire squared off from wear. No big deal really, easy to get used to. You might notice the need for more turn input than the stock tire requires but after a while you don't even notice really. We humans are amazingly adept at adapting. It lasted about 6X as long as stock and was every bit as good at traction for turning/stopping, plus better in the dirt and wet conditions. The car tire is made in ways so that it can handle a whole lot more than I could EVER demand of it.

I pioneered the use of a car tire on the Honda Reflex way back in 2008. That was about the time when Silverwings and 650 Burgmans started going darkside too though I was not aware of that then.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I've been running car tires on the back of my Valkyrie for a decade. I've made dozens of these videos because I wanted to know what was happening back there.

The Valkyrie doesn't handle any worse than it does with a bike tire. A new bike tire handles better until it flat spots, which on the Valkyrie takes a few weeks. After that the car tire handles better for the next 20,000 miles. The other difference is car tires don't delaminate and blow apart like Valkyrie bike tires have been known to do.

I may switch back to a bike tire next year because the Koreans are finally selling tires that don't cost $400.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote