Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #571
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Are you coming? We will be there with ALL of the bikes!
Ok that settles it...... Pencil whipping time...... Hope I can get the Rekluse back in......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #572
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

In as well. Registered, and will be in the RMRV park from 23-30, bringing these two humble mosquito's.....

Just to verify this..... I have asked several people this, and are not getting a consistent answer. Regarding the OHV sticker. If you have a plated ( street legal) bike, and are traveling say the alpine loop on designated roads. Do you still need the permit. An email to the CO dmv seems to indicate that it is not, as long as you are on a state designated road. On say the Hermosa trail, yes it is needed.....???? I have found that through out the years, even the authority cannot sometimes agree...... :)

Erling
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #573
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,065
Just a THUMBS UP to
http://www.dbzproducts.com

For donating two complete sets of bags and racks
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #574
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
dr200

I plan to bring a DR 200 for this rally. I have fair amount of off road experience; I do alot of single track with lots of sand and roots, but I don't have much mountain climbing and rocky experience. The DR is slow, like 12 horse power. That's fine with me; this trip is for relax and take it easy and see Colorado. I've never been there.

If this rally is anything like what we got here in Texas, I'll be riding solo because the 200 won't be able to keep up with anybody on the highway. Are the trails/roads well marked and easy to find for someone never been there before?

I have a GPS, and will bring lots of paper maps. I plan to get a SPOT also if I can't find any slow people to ride with. I also plan to get saddle bags, so I can carry a tent and lots of survival gears, just in case, I get stranded out there.

73Mustang screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 12:36 PM
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #575
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I plan to bring a DR 200 for this rally. I have fair amount of off road experience; I do alot of single track with lots of sand and roots, but I don't have much mountain climbing and rocky experience. The DR is slow, like 12 horse power. That's fine with me; this trip is for relax and take it easy and see Colorado. I've never been there.

If this rally is anything like what we got here in Texas, I'll be riding solo because the 200 won't be able to keep up with anybody on the highway. Are the trails/roads well marked and easy to find for someone never been there before?

I have a GPS, and will bring lots of paper maps. I plan to get a SPOT also if I can't find any slow people to ride with. I also plan to get saddle bags, so I can carry a tent and lots of survival gears, just in case, I get stranded out there.
A DR200 can be made very happy around Silverton!!
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #576
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 976
The only thing holding back the DR 200 will be air, if it feels really underpowered remove air box cover/door. My wife rides her XT 225 over all the passes and it does just fine...after we added 2 one inch holes to air box panel.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #577
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,065
Quote:

First off it's not a race. If we head out to the same area I'm not leaving anyone I'm with behind. Riding in groups is smart even if you have a SPOT, PLB or the ability to hike out. Because if you don't come back and someone says hey Bob is not back...you will be looked for.

Although we are not leading rides, I'm sure people will tag along and any of the people I have ridden with at RMAR's not one of them would leave you, or just keep going.

However with that said its smart to have a GPS and maps, its smart to have a SPOT type device or a PLB. It's also smart to leave an idea of where you are going with someone at camp, whether that be me or someone this is especially true if you do plan to ride alone. I would hate to find out packing up Sunday to leave that hey anyone seen Bob his tent looks untouched and no bike has been around and get a bunch of shrugs from people...THEN WHAT DO WE DO? I know its hard for Adventure riders to stay to a route...but at least with an idea, maybe even if you also said "man I love mines" and we know you were out in a certain area we could check out structures in that area.

So short answer YES your bike is capable.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #578
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
First off it's not a race. If we head out to the same area I'm not leaving anyone I'm with behind. Riding in groups is smart even if you have a SPOT, PLB or the ability to hike out. Because if you don't come back and someone says hey Bob is not back...you will be looked for.

Although we are not leading rides, I'm sure people will tag along and any of the people I have ridden with at RMAR's not one of them would leave you, or just keep going.

However with that said its smart to have a GPS and maps, its smart to have a SPOT type device or a PLB. It's also smart to leave an idea of where you are going with someone at camp, whether that be me or someone this is especially true if you do plan to ride alone. I would hate to find out packing up Sunday to leave that hey anyone seen Bob his tent looks untouched and no bike has been around and get a bunch of shrugs from people...THEN WHAT DO WE DO? I know its hard for Adventure riders to stay to a route...but at least with an idea, maybe even if you also said "man I love mines" and we know you were out in a certain area we could check out structures in that area.

So short answer YES your bike is capable.
I just don't want to ruin anybody's day because they waste their time waiting on me or because my bike can't make it over the mountain. I know people make alot of effort to get there to ride. Don't want to sit around waiting for the slow guy.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #579
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just don't want to ruin anybody's day because they waste their time waiting on me or because my bike can't make it over the mountain. I know people make alot of effort to get there to ride. Don't want to sit around waiting for the slow guy.
Without turning this into a jetting thread, pm me if you want more info on the 2se. We have one that is rejetted, piped, and open intake.....

Erling
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #580
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:

As others have said, you will not be left behind. Ever.

Plus, there will be many bikes around, if you'd like to try something of mine, you are more than welcome to.

It is an awesome event. Heck, we can maybe even squeeze another 2 or 3 ponies out of that 200 for a 25% increase!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #581
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
You have already

Quote:

You have already been told this, but it ain't a race! You wont be left behind and you will have help if there is trouble, flat or otherwise. And the only place I rode above 50 was on the highway!!! And many places I wished for the KLR 250 that I left at home.

Im not familiar with your bike but was in your shoes last year bringing a KLR 650 from Illinois. I asked and the KLR riders told me to not rejet as the Vacuum Carb on the KLR is very forgiving at altitude. And you will loose about 15% Hp. They were right!! So I geared down, I went up a tooth on the back and was gonna go down a tooth on the front but ordered late and the front sprocket got left out of the package!! But I got along well with it being the KLR is a little high geared in low anyway, that one tooth made a difference.
I had already modified my air box. Just make sure your filter is clean!!

Below 10000 ft it performed as normal above it was a little doggy and not near as snappy in the exhaust note. And I went as high as 13000 ft.

I'll let you know how we do at 14k this year as we are riding Pikes Peak before RMAR.

See ya there.

Jailor8
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #582
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
I plan to bring a DR 200 for this rally. I have fair amount of off road experience; I do alot of single track with lots of sand and roots, but I don't have much mountain climbing and rocky experience.
I'll be on a little CFR230. I may be about 2 HP more. Since you haven't been on rocks, I'm guessing you may have regular inner tubes. Consider putting in heavy duty tubes to help avoid a pinch-flat on the trail.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #583
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
hmm I seem to recall one last year ya slow bastage

Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #584
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
150 registered so far

18 states represented

If you registered in time for the free shirt, be sure to respond to the email requesting your shirt size. If you don't respond, you're an XL.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #585
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, I have a KLX 300, which is a decent powered liquid-cooled trail bike, but it's not street legal. Also, it has a very weak subframe; it's already bent. If I put extra gas and stuff on the back, I'm sure the subframe will break.

I could make the 300 street legal, but don't really want to do all that work and pay taxes, for just one trip.

Y'all think I'll be much happier on a 300 cc then a 200 cc, in the mountains of Colorado?

73Mustang screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 08:05 AM