User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #121
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Hey all you CC Removers!
Just following up on this thread, and what was learned in the 800GS Charcoal Canister thread, is anybody foregoing the Uni filter on the line from the fuel tank vent and just extending to run to bottom of the bike as described in the f800riders.org procedure description?

The Uni filter seem unnecessary considering the one way flow of this line.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #122
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Hey all you CC Removers!
Just following up on this thread, and what was learned in the 800GS Charcoal Canister thread, is anybody foregoing the Uni filter on the line from the fuel tank vent and just extending to run to bottom of the bike as described in the f800riders.org procedure description?

The Uni filter seem unnecessary considering the one way flow of this line.
How do you recon that..... The arrow should point inward towards the tank, the line thus venting towards the tank, as fuel is burned. Mind you the CC served as a filter when it was installed. That said many mx bikes run without any filter.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #123
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
I think the valve is a 2-way valve with different settings for vacuum and pressure relief ... so air is drawn back into the tank from this line
(If I'm thinking about the right line....)

On the other hand, on the Eurozone bikes that do not have a CC, I do not believe that there is a filter installed from the factory......
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #124
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
How do you recon that..... The arrow should point inward towards the tank, the line thus venting towards the tank, as fuel is burned. Mind you the CC served as a filter when it was installed. That said many mx bikes run without any filter.
I was under the impression from reading the reference threads that the flow was from the tank towards the charcoal canister and that air coming into the tank came from a valve that was part of the Fuel Pump Assembly.

All that said, there is a lot of noise among all the signal in these threads and I might have misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I think the valve is a 2-way valve with different settings for vacuum and pressure relief ... so air is drawn back into the tank from this line...
I think I missed that. Still, as you mention the Euro bikes just vent to the ground and nobody seems concerned about sucking dust into their fuel tanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #125
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 983
I replaced my vent line running straight to the ground with a Uni filter. I can confirm that my Uni is wet with fuel. Not dripping wet but damp. I thought I smelled some today in 90+ degree heat.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #126
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was under the impression from reading the reference threads that the flow was from the tank towards the charcoal canister and that air coming into the tank came from a valve that was part of the Fuel Pump Assembly.

All that said, there is a lot of noise among all the signal in these threads and I might have misunderstood.

I think I missed that. Still, as you mention the Euro bikes just vent to the ground and nobody seems concerned about sucking dust into their fuel tanks.
When I took mine off I did a little testing with the "one way valve" I found that it would relieve freely towards the tank ( with the arrow) as it should, as fuel is burned. But the other way required about 5 psi to open, unless you applied a slight vacuum against the arrow ( think purge valve opening, and intake vacuum is applied to the CC to combust fumes) then it opened effortless as well. Scratched my head, and just removed the valve. I see no need to resist/restrict air going either way. I thought about the filter because of the fact that I am in the desert southwest, and dust gets in everywhere, but is perhaps overkill. Specially since my 55 hp thumper next to it, has nothing......
I recall Joel mentioning that it is a little porous ball inside the little canister...I am sure you will be fine either way. I do have slight saturation ( oil+dust) around the filter after a couple of years riding it, and just figured that, I'd protect the fuel pump, andinjectors as best as I can..... They don't need any help in failing. They do that fine by them self.....

Erling
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #127
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
When I took mine off I did a little testing with the "one way valve" I found that it would relieve freely towards the tank ( with the arrow) as it should, as fuel is burned. But the other way required about 5 psi to open, unless you applied a slight vacuum against the arrow ( think purge valve opening, and intake vacuum is applied to the CC to combust fumes) then it opened effortless as well. Scratched my head, and just removed the valve. I see no need to resist/restrict air going either way. I thought about the filter because of the fact that I am in the desert southwest, and dust gets in everywhere, but is perhaps overkill. Specially since my 55 hp thumper next to it, has nothing......
I recall Joel mentioning that it is a little porous ball inside the little canister...I am sure you will be fine either way. I do have slight saturation ( oil+dust) around the filter after a couple of years riding it, and just figured that, I'd protect the fuel pump, andinjectors as best as I can..... They don't need any help in failing. They do that fine by them self.....
All sounds like a reasonable approach. Do you have it tucked under the seat near the rear light?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #128
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Wow, this thread is still going strong.

I put the Uni on because I'm in the desert southwest with a lot of dirt. (Same reason I have the 7602 carb filters on my dirtbikes.). I also wonder if enough dust/dirt could accumulate in the hose to plug it?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #129
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All sounds like a reasonable approach. Do you have it tucked under the seat near the rear light?
Correct......

Erling
Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #130
JREDDING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Dumb Question

Does anyone have concern about the fuel tank venting under the seat (as shown in prev post) where fuel vapors could accumulate? Or am i missing something?
JREDDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #131
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREDDING View Post
Does anyone have concern about the fuel tank venting under the seat (as shown in prev post) where fuel vapors could accumulate? Or am i missing something?
IMHO... there is plenty of fresh air venting under the seat to migrate the vapors away. That said, just put the filter, where you feel comfortable. It can go anywhere you feel. I put it under the seat, as the hose was already there, and the dirt impact into the tank is minimal.

Erling
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #132
JREDDING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Question Question for Ebrabaek

I noticed your post about the angle of the valve? DId you move it and have to worry about the angle? I am not 100% understanding the "angle" bit.

I want to remove the long hose that connects to the valve and ran to the CC, install a shorter piece to run to the location shown in your photo, and then install a filter...or do i need to do something else?
JREDDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #133
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREDDING View Post
I noticed your post about the angle of the valve? DId you move it and have to worry about the angle? I am not 100% understanding the "angle" bit.

I want to remove the long hose that connects to the valve and ran to the CC, install a shorter piece to run to the location shown in your photo, and then install a filter...or do i need to do something else?
I am not sure about your question regarding the angle. Please refresh my memory...??? I put another hose....might even have used the hose from the valve ( check valve under the colored plastic 12 inches from the tank) to the CC, and just ran it from the tank....all the way to the filter location. The angle on the filter was set with the zip tie to facilitate proper drainage, in case I bounce around with a full tank, and slush some fuel into the filter. It has happened on steep techno climbs, but then fuel just trickled a few inches underneath.

Erling
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #134
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,457
Laugh

I used one of these .. I could not find the filter...
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #135
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Correct......

I replicated this 2 weeks ago. No fueling issues since. The only issue I had was thinking that the CC was some small canister hidden someplace. It took me a few minutes to realize it was the huge 20oz soda bottle sized black canister in plain freaking view.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote