Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #1516
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
So I guess that leads to 2 questions....

Do you make any special concessions/plans if you are pretty sure you'll get rained on?

What is the size of your total hammock kit compared to an average 1-2 person tent?

One reason I'm interested in the hammocks is it looked like a simple setup/takedown and minimal size. But in the last few pages, it seems like it's not exactly a minimalist setup. Pretty sure my tent packs smaller than the examples of what I'm seeing here.

Thanks again.

Cord
If you know it will rain, you need a good tarp for sure. Nothing diamond shaped. Something like the Warbonnett SuperFly that has a hexagonal shape (with doors) will give you great coverage and keep you dry.

The setups aren't necessarily smaller or lighter than other minimalist tent setups. My minimal "summer" setup (hammock, tarp, suspensions, stakes) would fit in an adult shoebox. I'd say setup time for the hammock and tarp is around 10 minutes once you get used to how things work and if you pack it up right for easy rehanging. Probably about the same for a tent, maybe less.

Honestly, it's so much more comfortable than tent camping for me I don't care how pack sizes or setup time compare. It literally is no comparison for me. I actually sleep better in a hammock than I do in my own bed now that i've learned to hang correctly. I've never gotten good sleep on the ground while tent camping, even when car camping and bringing a full size air mattress. Many hangers share the same reasoning.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #1517
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Many hangers share the same reasoning.

I'm trying to make my kit as small and light as possible, but it's the comfort that keeps me trying. I wouldn't care if the whole kit was a bit larger or heavier.

I don't sleep better than in my bed cause I'm normally a stomach/side/back sleeper (aka: tosser and turner). In the hammock I can only be a side/back sleeper. But in the hammock I also tend to wake up less often to change position.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #1518
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
hurts you?

It hurts me too.

7 compressed discs, one knee transplant (and the other one needs it) and neck problems. It is nearly impossible for me to get up off the ground in the average 2-3 man tent. And as far as sleeping goes, at the minimum, I need a cot and a good mattress. Add all that together and it's twice the volume and three times the weight of my Warbonnet, OMW tarp and a "door mat" to keep my feet dry when getting in and out of the hammock. I have one of those $1,000 high density foam mattresses in my bedroom. The hammock is infinitely more comfortable.

I have a JRB underquilt and a zero degree top quilt (can't remember where I got it). Together that pack as small as the 5 degree synthetic bag I have, are equally as warm (the coldest I've slept recently was 22 degrees). All together, hammock, tarp, mat, top and bottom quilts pack smaller than the Black Diamond tent, footprint, fly, Snugpack bag, Exped mat and the separate tarp that I traveled with before. The hammock rig is lighter too.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #1519
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Of course comfort is my main reason for enjoying hammock campng but the beauty of hammock camping (besides not laying on the ground) is that it is very easy to get everything setup then packed away in the rain without any of your sleeping gear getting wet. Just hang a ridgeline and toss the tarp over/ push a few stakes in the ground and you have instant shelter. then you can take your time setting up the rest of your camp.... hammock /underquilts/pads sleeping bag etc all under the shelter and off the ground..... if it has been raining then you're off the already wet ground

A large tarp doesnt take up that much room when folded up and ive found a 12x12 to be ideal for all the different conditions i've come across. ( I keep the tarp in its own waterproof bag in case i have to put it away wet)

the tarp is the first thing up and the last thing down when i am camping.

Its so easy to setup i've actually used it during trailside lunch stops on hot days when there was no other shade around (none of my riding buddies complained) literally less than 5 minutes to set up or take down and the shade was priceless!
Racerman27410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #1520
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post

At the end of the day with no tarp and no quilts, this setup couldn't be easier.

From packed to napping in about 2 minutes.

Thanks, Boon Booni.

If it was that simple, I'd be all over it. I'm starting to get the feeling though that if I plan correctly I can still minimize the amount of stuff and still get what I want out of it.

My plan at this point is to go with a HH with an upgraded tarp, sleeping bag + Exped 9 (want the air mat and the bag in case I go to the ground bivy style). I'm hoping to do a couple shakedown weekend rides this summer to prep for my bigger trip in Sep.

Thanks for the input.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #1521
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Thanks to everyone for the input on size vs convenience vs comfort etc.

Maybe what I'll do is throw my game plan out there for look for feedback from those that have been there....

This September I plan to do the UTBDR and the COBDR in a loop in about 12-14 days. My luggage will consist of a Giant Loop Coyote (30L) and the additional 12L dry bag to attach to it. Hence, you get why I need to be careful with what I pack.

We'll be doing a mix of wild camping, perhaps standard campgrounds and the occasional hotel if we're just too tired to set up camp or really need a shower.

As mentioned in the above post, if I'm a confident hammock user by that point, I'd probably go with:

HH Asym classic with larger the rainfly
Exped 9 downmat
5 degree C (41 Fahrenheit) down bag

The rest will be the usual kit for 2 weeks on the road.

I don't have any concerns with hammock use in the COBDR route as there should be trees a plenty. Same for northern UT. But for south and central UT/Moab, I'm a bit concerned there.....but going to the ground once or twice in 14 days shouldn't be a big deal.

Does anyone have feedback on that setup or using a hammock in Moab?

All positive or constructive feedback is welcome.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #1522
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
hurts you?
Yep.Sleeping on a mat or air mat makes my back and shoulders hurt.I'd to fat for cots.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #1523
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
As long as you have the Exped mat you can go to ground tying the hammock off between two bikes or one bike and a tree just to keep the bug net elevated and the tarp reasonably tight
Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1524
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817
CordR, as several others have said, a hammock-camping rig isn't really smaller in volume than a good, lightweight tent setup, but it is worlds better in comfort, IMHO.

Something that I really like about packing the hammock is that instead of a couple of bulky items to pack, you have several smaller components that can tuck into more places.

This is the big, big tarp (11'x10') pictured a few posts back.

Silnylon packs down nice 'n' small.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1525
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I don't think so
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #1526
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post

I don't have any concerns with hammock use in the COBDR route as there should be trees a plenty. Same for northern UT. But for south and central UT/Moab, I'm a bit concerned there.....but going to the ground once or twice in 14 days shouldn't be a big deal.

Does anyone have feedback on that setup or using a hammock in Moab?

All positive or constructive feedback is welcome.

C
stretched out the hammock an slept in my bag on top for a few nights as i traversed the four corners Area
No Trees

any solid conclusions on using a bike as a anchor point ? Hook it to a foot peg an run it up across the seat?
BlackHawkChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #1527
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
I've been out of touch with new hammocks but came across the new Clarks 180 Flex and I'm very interested. anyone try one?

http://www.junglehammock.com/product/camo-flex-180/
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #1528
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I've been out of touch with new hammocks but came across the new Clarks 180 Flex and I'm very interested. anyone try one?

http://www.junglehammock.com/product/camo-flex-180/
Wow, hadn't seen that make before. Very interesting with the tent poles. Curious to hear feedback as well.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #1529
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,746
The price tag was enough for me...
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1530
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Great thread! I'm going backpacking in the Sierras in a few weeks. I'm now considering losing my tent, sleeping bag pad and folding stool in lieu of a hammock.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote