Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #226
HondaBlue
n00b

Oddometer: 5
It gets worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Dalton View Post
Really easy to do. From memory, you need a couple of litres of 10w/40 oil. If you buy this from ebay you will get at least two oil changes from it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-SH-3...item41671a2913
Warm the engine up, remove the sump plug and drain the oil, unscrew the filter and screw the new one on, put fresh oil in it and check with the distick (do not screw it in), run the engine for a couple of minutes and then recheck and top up. Job done.
Thanks Steve, i just phoned up and now the service is going to cost me 300+ , i will definitely do the oil and oil filter myself and thanks for the link, although it gets worse now, Its the 12K service, so its new belt,rollers and sliders they say, is this all true ??...is it possible to holding out until say 16K or do they really need doing at 12k...i can't do the roller and belt as i don't have those skills....but would be happy if you guys can confirm that im not getting ripped off.

Cheers
Mike
HondaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #227
HondaBlue
n00b

Oddometer: 5
One other thing

Just one other thing Steve, is the oil filter easy to get to ??...many panels to remove or difficult screws to undo to get to it ?

Just like to know before i have a crack at it,

many thanks!

Mike
HondaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #228
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Oddometer: 20
Oil filter easy to get to - no panels need removing. I changed my belt and rollers at about 12,000 miles. Didn't change the sliders though. I think I paid around 100 for a genuine Honda belt and rollers. I only changed them beause the rollers were sticking and making it sluggish on pull away. I suppose if it's okay and money's tight you could leave it a bit longer. At 12,000 miles I think the plug and air filter will need changing too. Whereabouts in London are you - do you have any independent motorcycle repair places nearby?
Steve_Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #229
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBlue View Post
Thanks Steve, i just phoned up and now the service is going to cost me 300+ , i will definitely do the oil and oil filter myself and thanks for the link, although it gets worse now, Its the 12K service, so its new belt,rollers and sliders they say, is this all true ??...is it possible to holding out until say 16K or do they really need doing at 12k...i can't do the roller and belt as i don't have those skills....but would be happy if you guys can confirm that im not getting ripped off.

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike,

A service, brake fluid change, MOT and belt and roller replacement cost me 203 incl VAT at Metropolis motorcycles in Barnet, N.London.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #230
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
Hi Mike,

A service, brake fluid change, MOT and belt and roller replacement cost me 203 incl VAT at Metropolis motorcycles in Barnet, N.London.

Blimey, they must have been working for next to nothing! Assuming genuine parts were used, Belt and rollers cost me 95. Oil and filter must be another 25. MOT is nearly 35. If it was a 12000 service there's the air filter and spark plug - at least another 20 and say a fiver for brake fluid. I make that lot 180 if you were doing it yourself, buying the parts and paying for an MOT.

If they are only charging 23 labour for all that I'd get down there a bit quick!
Steve_Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #231
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Dalton View Post
Blimey, they must have been working for next to nothing! Assuming genuine parts were used, Belt and rollers cost me 95. Oil and filter must be another 25. MOT is nearly 35. If it was a 12000 service there's the air filter and spark plug - at least another 20 and say a fiver for brake fluid. I make that lot 180 if you were doing it yourself, buying the parts and paying for an MOT.

If they are only charging 23 labour for all that I'd get down there a bit quick!
No air filter or plug in that service. Definitely genuine parts and also worn parts returned in a plastic bag.
They are good value and friendly.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #232
zippy500
n00b

Oddometer: 1
hi all,

for those who have replaced the belt, can I ask what you torqued the crank nut up to?

Was looking at changing the variator to one of these while I was at it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-SH-3...item416205539f

any thoughts on these?

Thanks
zippy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #233
Taipan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Hi All
Anyone got a download link for the workshop manual for a Sh300?
Many thanks
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #234
Taipan
Adventurer

Hi All
Trying to fit a new sidelight bulb too my Sh300 but cant get the central panel off? The manual says,

"Position Lights Bulb
1. Remove the front shield(1):
unfasten the top screws (2), disconnect
the two expansions pins (3) and remove
the shield by disconnecting the bottom
tabs(4). "

But I cant see any expansion pins?? Anyone taken this panel off?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #235
Taipan
Adventurer

Boing! Tried again last night but cant see how to release where the panel is fixed at the midway points? Must be missing something obvious here, beside a brain that is!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #236
Taipan
Adventurer

For the benefit of the archives, I managed it last night. The little push clips grip the panel very tightly. i had to wiggle a screwdriver in and prise the panel out each side. I managed to do this without breaking anything despite the stupid designs best efforts. The little clips dropped down into the abyss behind the radiator. I put the front wheel up on the kerb and bounced it about and they both fell out of the grid bit! I reluctantly refitted them. Still I now have two sidelights working so it was worth it. Crap design by Honda though.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #237
SAVVAS
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi everybody and greetings from Athens Greece.
I have read the posts here for a while but i managed to enter the forum just the other day.

In order to help the fellow owners who like to do service by themseves i 'll show some videos of our foum, i hope they 'll help you.

PS : Forgive any spelling problems.....

Changing the front brake pads and cleaning the pistons of the brake caliper :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heggkhJXvxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXvUBg6wfPg

I hope they will help you.
SAVVAS is offline   Reply With Quote