Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #3826
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post

Here is the original split. What you cant see is the side towards the cylinder is about twice as long and really warped.

t

I would say that was most likely caused by the stress of bending the pipe. With the many expansion and contractions of the pipe it just finished it off.

How many miles on that bike ?

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #3827
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog rider View Post
t

i would say that was most likely caused by the stress of bending the pipe. With the many expansion and contractions of the pipe it just finished it off.

How many miles on that bike ?

Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #3828
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
I made a shield today out of an aluminun baking tray. Took a short 20 mile ride, it seems to keep a lot of heat away from the seat and inner right leg. We'll see how well it holds up-

That's along the lines I was thinking except extending it, removing the deflector at the reservoir so the air can dump out past my leg.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #3829
Roostre
Discombobulated

Thumb VHT paint test...

Managed to get a XB12 Buell Race tune loaded after loading Virtual PC and XP Mode to get my old software to work again. Repainted the front header and cycle baked the paint as per the directions.

We then headed off for a two-up canyon strafing run that was quite an adventure. The bike runs crap on the low end now. Part throttle bucking and spitting crap is back. Top end runs a little better than before. Paint stayed intact this time. Now I just need to sort out the bucking and snorting again.

We even got in a little off road on the cut over that dumps into Jeremy Ranch golf course. My wife is a sport.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #3830
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 263
Is that really going to help?

Quote:
I made a shield today out of an aluminun baking tray. Took a short 20 mile ride, it seems to keep a lot of heat away from the seat and inner right leg. We'll see how well it holds up-

My issue is that what you've put in there is still metal and will still conduct heat. Is that really helpful? I liked the idea of the blanket for the very reason that it didn't conduct heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
I saw a heat shielding from special ops I am going to get for under the sear plus a mod for bring more air up under the seat I going to try,
Good luck with that. I also think they have the best product available. The trick is what's available? It's basically one guy doing it at home and he has a real job. So, he's not really too efficient at returning calls, filling orders, etc. Not even emails. I was trying a while back but gave up in frustration.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #3831
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Managed to get a XB12 Buell Race tune loaded after loading Virtual PC and XP Mode to get my old software to work again. Repainted the front header and cycle baked the paint as per the directions.

We then headed off for a two-up canyon strafing run that was quite an adventure. The bike runs crap on the low end now. Part throttle bucking and spitting crap is back. Top end runs a little better than before. Paint stayed intact this time. Now I just need to sort out the bucking and snorting again.

We even got in a little off road on the cut over that dumps into Jeremy Ranch golf course. My wife is a sport.

What exhaust are you running? I did a little Megalog Viewer data log tuning to sort out some low-end funkiness, decel popping, and stalling at idle while warming up. Seemed to clear up a lot of weirdness with how my Jardine runs.

For the sake of pics, here are a bunch from my trip to Texas:

arches

tire repair

ship rock

monument valley

zion np

st. george utah - popped the belt

nevada desert

misc pics

unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #3832
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,751
Those are some pretty cool pics. I would hate to be able to ride such scenic areas, it might take away from my concentration.

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3833
Roostre
Discombobulated

Awesome pics "lucky1"!
My bike has a Drummer muffler.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #3834
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
My issue is that what you've put in there is still metal and will still conduct heat. Is that really helpful? I liked the idea of the blanket for the very reason that it didn't conduct heat.

Similar to the thermal shield that one can purchase, the aluminum shield that I cobbed up is more to prevent airflow from that opening from going into the cavity under the seat, not so much to prevent radiated heat. I wouldn't expect the aluminum shield to radiate very much heat to the seat bottom, the dead airspace between them would help to insulate and prevent that. I haven't had a chance to take an extended ride yet, but on several local 20-30 mile rides in 85* temps, both the seat and my right leg have yet to get as warm as before. Time and longer distance rides will tell.

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #3835
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My bike has a Drummer muffler.
Might have something you can use, check your PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #3836
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Similar to the thermal shield that one can purchase, the aluminum shield that I cobbed up is more to prevent airflow from that opening from going into the cavity under the seat, not so much to prevent radiated heat. I wouldn't expect the aluminum shield to radiate very much heat to the seat bottom, the dead airspace between them would help to insulate and prevent that. I haven't had a chance to take an extended ride yet, but on several local 20-30 mile rides in 85* temps, both the seat and my right leg have yet to get as warm as before. Time and longer distance rides will tell.
Based on my experience, you're on the right track. I sealed off that opening on my bike using adhesive-backed HVAC aluminum tape. It has very little insulation value, but it does reflect radiated heat and more importantly it stops the hot air off the engine from flowing out of that frame opening, where it heats the bottom of the seat AND it blows out of the gap between the bottom of the seat and the top of the frame rail. That air tends to blow against your inner right thigh which can get very hot very quickly.

The only debate is whether sealing off that opening appreciably restricts the airflow around the rear cylinder head and whether that could eventually lead to detrimental effects, like rocker cover gasket failure. The more I think about it, the more I think not. If closing the frame opening does appreciably raise the temp of the rear head, it'll just make the fan come on sooner (fan operation is controlled based on rear cylinder head temperature). Once the fan comes on, most of the airflow past the rear head gets sucked through the fan and exhausted out past the shock body, at which point it doesn't matter whether that frame opening is sealed off or not.

Hugh
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #3837
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
Might have something you can use, check your PM.
Just back from a test spin- bike has never been smoother!!

If you ever tour this way again i owe ya a beer or three...
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #3838
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Smooth running Ulysses pleases the moto gods.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #3839
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 309
Here is my heat shield made from leftover Reflectix which is basically a foil lined bubble wrap used for radiant barrier and water resistant insulation

ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #3840
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Based on my experience, you're on the right track. I sealed off that opening on my bike using adhesive-backed HVAC aluminum tape. It has very little insulation value, but it does reflect radiated heat and more importantly it stops the hot air off the engine from flowing out of that frame opening, where it heats the bottom of the seat AND it blows out of the gap between the bottom of the seat and the top of the frame rail. That air tends to blow against your inner right thigh which can get very hot very quickly.

The only debate is whether sealing off that opening appreciably restricts the airflow around the rear cylinder head and whether that could eventually lead to detrimental effects, like rocker cover gasket failure. The more I think about it, the more I think not. If closing the frame opening does appreciably raise the temp of the rear head, it'll just make the fan come on sooner (fan operation is controlled based on rear cylinder head temperature). Once the fan comes on, most of the airflow past the rear head gets sucked through the fan and exhausted out past the shock body, at which point it doesn't matter whether that frame opening is sealed off or not.

Hugh

UPDATE on the heat shield-

Rode a few hundred miles yesterday, everything from triple digits on the highway, to a little 1st gear single track. What a difference, it was 85* - 90*, and I had zero heat on the seat or right leg. The cooling fan seemed to cycle normally, I didn't notice it coming on more often than before, or any extended running. It seems like a winner for now.

A couple of pics from the CT hills-

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote