ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #3826
Hog Rider
The Professor
 
Hog Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Fenner Windfarm N.Y.
Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post

Here is the original split. What you cant see is the side towards the cylinder is about twice as long and really warped.


t

I would say that was most likely caused by the stress of bending the pipe. With the many expansion and contractions of the pipe it just finished it off.

How many miles on that bike ?
__________________

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..



http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #3827
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog rider View Post
t

i would say that was most likely caused by the stress of bending the pipe. With the many expansion and contractions of the pipe it just finished it off.

How many miles on that bike ?

33k
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #3828
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
I made a shield today out of an aluminun baking tray. Took a short 20 mile ride, it seems to keep a lot of heat away from the seat and inner right leg. We'll see how well it holds up-


That's along the lines I was thinking except extending it, removing the deflector at the reservoir so the air can dump out past my leg.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #3829
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb VHT paint test...

Managed to get a XB12 Buell Race tune loaded after loading Virtual PC and XP Mode to get my old software to work again. Repainted the front header and cycle baked the paint as per the directions.

We then headed off for a two-up canyon strafing run that was quite an adventure. The bike runs crap on the low end now. Part throttle bucking and spitting crap is back. Top end runs a little better than before. Paint stayed intact this time. Now I just need to sort out the bucking and snorting again.

We even got in a little off road on the cut over that dumps into Jeremy Ranch golf course. My wife is a sport.

Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #3830
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides
 
GhostRiderFC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Oddometer: 263
Is that really going to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
I made a shield today out of an aluminun baking tray. Took a short 20 mile ride, it seems to keep a lot of heat away from the seat and inner right leg. We'll see how well it holds up-

My issue is that what you've put in there is still metal and will still conduct heat. Is that really helpful? I liked the idea of the blanket for the very reason that it didn't conduct heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
I saw a heat shielding from special ops I am going to get for under the sear plus a mod for bring more air up under the seat I going to try,
Good luck with that. I also think they have the best product available. The trick is what's available? It's basically one guy doing it at home and he has a real job. So, he's not really too efficient at returning calls, filling orders, etc. Not even emails. I was trying a while back but gave up in frustration.
__________________
"Be Safe Out There."

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #3831
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
unlucky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Everett WA
Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Managed to get a XB12 Buell Race tune loaded after loading Virtual PC and XP Mode to get my old software to work again. Repainted the front header and cycle baked the paint as per the directions.

We then headed off for a two-up canyon strafing run that was quite an adventure. The bike runs crap on the low end now. Part throttle bucking and spitting crap is back. Top end runs a little better than before. Paint stayed intact this time. Now I just need to sort out the bucking and snorting again.

We even got in a little off road on the cut over that dumps into Jeremy Ranch golf course. My wife is a sport.

What exhaust are you running? I did a little Megalog Viewer data log tuning to sort out some low-end funkiness, decel popping, and stalling at idle while warming up. Seemed to clear up a lot of weirdness with how my Jardine runs.

For the sake of pics, here are a bunch from my trip to Texas:

arches




tire repair


ship rock




monument valley



zion np





st. george utah - popped the belt




nevada desert








misc pics














__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses
1976 Yamaha DT175
1978 Honda XL175
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #3832
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chad_NC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lillington, NC
Oddometer: 3,751
Those are some pretty cool pics. I would hate to be able to ride such scenic areas, it might take away from my concentration.


You got this via Crapatalk
__________________
Chad
09 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
09 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3833
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,042
Awesome pics "lucky1"!
My bike has a Drummer muffler.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #3834
hdxbones
Adventurer
 
hdxbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: CT
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
My issue is that what you've put in there is still metal and will still conduct heat. Is that really helpful? I liked the idea of the blanket for the very reason that it didn't conduct heat.



Similar to the thermal shield that one can purchase, the aluminum shield that I cobbed up is more to prevent airflow from that opening from going into the cavity under the seat, not so much to prevent radiated heat. I wouldn't expect the aluminum shield to radiate very much heat to the seat bottom, the dead airspace between them would help to insulate and prevent that. I haven't had a chance to take an extended ride yet, but on several local 20-30 mile rides in 85* temps, both the seat and my right leg have yet to get as warm as before. Time and longer distance rides will tell.
__________________
'11 Road Glide
'09 Ulysses

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #3835
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
unlucky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Everett WA
Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
My bike has a Drummer muffler.
Might have something you can use, check your PM.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses
1976 Yamaha DT175
1978 Honda XL175
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #3836
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
Similar to the thermal shield that one can purchase, the aluminum shield that I cobbed up is more to prevent airflow from that opening from going into the cavity under the seat, not so much to prevent radiated heat. I wouldn't expect the aluminum shield to radiate very much heat to the seat bottom, the dead airspace between them would help to insulate and prevent that. I haven't had a chance to take an extended ride yet, but on several local 20-30 mile rides in 85* temps, both the seat and my right leg have yet to get as warm as before. Time and longer distance rides will tell.
Based on my experience, you're on the right track. I sealed off that opening on my bike using adhesive-backed HVAC aluminum tape. It has very little insulation value, but it does reflect radiated heat and more importantly it stops the hot air off the engine from flowing out of that frame opening, where it heats the bottom of the seat AND it blows out of the gap between the bottom of the seat and the top of the frame rail. That air tends to blow against your inner right thigh which can get very hot very quickly.

The only debate is whether sealing off that opening appreciably restricts the airflow around the rear cylinder head and whether that could eventually lead to detrimental effects, like rocker cover gasket failure. The more I think about it, the more I think not. If closing the frame opening does appreciably raise the temp of the rear head, it'll just make the fan come on sooner (fan operation is controlled based on rear cylinder head temperature). Once the fan comes on, most of the airflow past the rear head gets sucked through the fan and exhausted out past the shock body, at which point it doesn't matter whether that frame opening is sealed off or not.

Hugh
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #3837
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
Might have something you can use, check your PM.
Just back from a test spin- bike has never been smoother!!

If you ever tour this way again i owe ya a beer or three...
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #3838
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
unlucky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Everett WA
Oddometer: 230
Smooth running Ulysses pleases the moto gods.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses
1976 Yamaha DT175
1978 Honda XL175
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #3839
ERD
Custom Rider
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Oddometer: 309
Here is my heat shield made from leftover Reflectix which is basically a foil lined bubble wrap used for radiant barrier and water resistant insulation












ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #3840
hdxbones
Adventurer
 
hdxbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: CT
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Based on my experience, you're on the right track. I sealed off that opening on my bike using adhesive-backed HVAC aluminum tape. It has very little insulation value, but it does reflect radiated heat and more importantly it stops the hot air off the engine from flowing out of that frame opening, where it heats the bottom of the seat AND it blows out of the gap between the bottom of the seat and the top of the frame rail. That air tends to blow against your inner right thigh which can get very hot very quickly.

The only debate is whether sealing off that opening appreciably restricts the airflow around the rear cylinder head and whether that could eventually lead to detrimental effects, like rocker cover gasket failure. The more I think about it, the more I think not. If closing the frame opening does appreciably raise the temp of the rear head, it'll just make the fan come on sooner (fan operation is controlled based on rear cylinder head temperature). Once the fan comes on, most of the airflow past the rear head gets sucked through the fan and exhausted out past the shock body, at which point it doesn't matter whether that frame opening is sealed off or not.

Hugh


UPDATE on the heat shield-

Rode a few hundred miles yesterday, everything from triple digits on the highway, to a little 1st gear single track. What a difference, it was 85* - 90*, and I had zero heat on the seat or right leg. The cooling fan seemed to cycle normally, I didn't notice it coming on more often than before, or any extended running. It seems like a winner for now.

A couple of pics from the CT hills-




__________________
'11 Road Glide
'09 Ulysses

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014