User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
007 rebel OP
Banned

Oddometer: 8
Question crash bars

I have a 12' 650 wee adventure I was wondering if anyone has found replacement crash bars that are better than stock? Ones that can actually take a fall without bending. BTW Im a new member heard this is the place to get some great info. Im thinking this is a awesome site already I hope I placed this question in the right place if not forgive me. Is their some info somewhere to give instructions on posting pics? Thanks
007 rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Welcome.

SW Motech makes a more beefy set of crash bars (I think they also make the cheaper, thinner version that is OEM on the Adventure). The "real" SW Motech bars are shaped differently, thicker, gloss black, and overall are good stuff - and last I checked, Twisted Throttle was selling slightly scratched new old stock ones for $150. I got a set, they are essentially new and very nice. GIVI makes a set which aren't as pretty but are probably as effective. The cat's ass is Altrider, but you're gonna spend a lot.

Re: photos: You need to join a photo hosting site like flikr, photobucket, smugmug. Once a member, you follow the directions on the site to upload images. Upon uploading, you get an http address of your image, which you paste into a reply here using the photo icon in the toolbar above the text area in a "new reply".

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
The Hepco Becker bars follow the same basic lines as the OEM bars. They have a different crossbar, it goes straight across instead of curving down, so they won't work with a skid plate that clamps to it. You need to use a skid plate like the motech or givi. I cant say how they hold up, when my bike takes a nap it rests on the panniers and handguards. Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,771
I did a bit of a search when I bought crashbars for my 2012 Glee. I ended up with the Hepco Beckers because I liked the coverage. It was a tough call between them and the Alt Rider bars. I use the Hyde Racing skid plate.

PS: www.stromtrooper.com is the best Strom site bar none.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 rebel View Post
I have a 12' 650 wee adventure I was wondering if anyone has found replacement crash bars that are better than stock? Ones that can actually take a fall without bending. BTW Im a new member heard this is the place to get some great info. Im thinking this is a awesome site already I hope I placed this question in the right place if not forgive me. Is their some info somewhere to give instructions on posting pics? Thanks
I too, am on the HB's and testing has showed that they can handle a basic drop or low speed wash out (on either side).

My understanding is that, the Suzuki, although called "accessory bars" are also pretty tough. Unless you have heard otherwise, I'd stick with them.

For picture posting instructions look in the ask baldy forum, 1st sticky.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
007 rebel OP
Banned

well as far as the factory bars go on the adventure model they are weak I had one little drop and it bent them against the tank I bent them back out with my hands. the problem I ve been running into is finding bars that fit the adv model the brands mentioned does not say they fit the adv model
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
probably because the ADV has them from the factory. there isn't anything different, afaik, that would make an aftermarket crashbar setup not work on the ADV that does on a non adv. engine bolt is longer to compensate though.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
007 rebel OP
Banned

yes that is what I was thinking someone needs to make some sturdy crash bars for the adv model
Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 rebel View Post
well as far as the factory bars go on the adventure model they are weak I had one little drop and it bent them against the tank I bent them back out with my hands. the problem I ve been running into is finding bars that fit the adv model the brands mentioned does not say they fit the adv model
Well then, I stand corrected, the few posts I've read over on stromtrooper.com have indicated that they are pretty good.

All the aftermarket products for 2012-13 dl650's will work on your adv model. The Givi are cheapest at $150, but folks still seem to like them. Altrider seem to be the most expensive. Most reports of tested drops seem to indicate they all seem to do pretty well.

A key consideration is how they integrate with the skid plate you want to use.

I'd have a look in the stromtrooper 2012-13 forum and see what everyone has been saying.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote