Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #17686
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Changed to a 7" headlight today thanks to inmate Goodcat. I hope this will help light up the road a little better. The deer have been out in full force lately.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #17687
hbmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Changed to a 7" headlight today thanks to inmate Goodcat. I hope this will help light up the road a little better. The deer have been out in full force lately.

Can you please elaborate a bit on the headlight conversion? This interests me immensely. Thanks!
hbmichael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #17688
Doc McCoy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Woohoo ... part of the club. Scrambler sitting in my backyard as of yesterday! Great so far.

Where do you find a bungee net like the one above?
Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #17689
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmichael View Post
Can you please elaborate a bit on the headlight conversion? This interests me immensely. Thanks!
It is pretty much a bolt-on swap since the replacement headlight is also a Triumph unit (Bonneville). The only trouble I had was trying to fit all the wiring inside since the Bonneville unit is shallower . I will let you know how the light works after riding home tonight. I am hoping that it is enough that I dont have to run aux lights anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Woohoo ... part of the club. Scrambler sitting in my backyard as of yesterday! Great so far.

Congrats, I think the net came from Harbor Freight for just a few dollars.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #17690
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Changed to a 7" headlight...

Looks great. IMO it shoulda come with a 7" from the factory.
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #17691
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post

Welcome to the asylum!

Most bike shops have bungee nets, usually in 15" x 15". The H-D accessories catalog lists them in several sizes but still relatively small squares.
My favorite, most useful one is over 20 years old. It is 15" x 30" and has carried more odd stuff for me that I ever imagined, problem is I haven't been able to find another like it. I have found one of similar size but it was very cheaply constructed and did not last long.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #17692
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 301
The view from Hurricane Ridge Saturday morning.

ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #17693
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer: 37
battery tender pigtails on battery?

I assume lots of people have put battery tender pigtails on there battery. I tried to yesterday and almost stripped both screw immediately! I have the Yuasa battery and it has phillips head screws but three different phillips head screw drivers couldn't turn the screws!

Just read an article recently on JIS screwdrivers, is this what I need to turn these screws?

Anyone have any pictures of how they ran their wires? Did you ziptie it to the frame?

Thanks
Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #17694
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post

Wow, beautiful picture, enjoy the day! Wish i wasn't working!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #17695
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
I like the look of the Thrux seat ...I don't like the original ironing board, have tried the bonnie seat (better) am about to try the thrux seat off a mates bike.
Anyone have a thruxton seat for sale in Oz

ferals5 screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 05:19 PM Reason: removed pic ;-)
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #17696
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
I like the look of the Thrux seat ...I don't like the original ironing board, have tried the bonnie seat (better) am about to try the thrux seat off a mates bike.
Anyone have a thruxton seat for sale in Oz
Mine is the Thruxton gel seat and I find it gets better with use.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #17697
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
Wow, beautiful picture, enjoy the day! Wish i wasn't working!
'The most beautiful place on earth. There are many such places.' -Edward Abbey
Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #17698
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Wrench!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
I assume lots of people have put battery tender pigtails on there battery. I tried to yesterday and almost stripped both screw immediately! I have the Yuasa battery and it has phillips head screws but three different phillips head screw drivers couldn't turn the screws!

Just read an article recently on JIS screwdrivers, is this what I need to turn these screws?

Anyone have any pictures of how they ran their wires? Did you ziptie it to the frame?

Thanks

I did not think that JIS sizes ran that large, pretty sure that I have always used either a No. 3 Phillips or a box wrench on the hex (seems like mine have always had hex head screws with a phillips drive as well, it makes it much easier to get the screws started when attaching). I am thinking 10 or 11mm box fits but it has been a while.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #17699
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Any "real" off road scramblers?

I've been a lurker here for years. Been a Scrambler fan for 40 years, old Hondas, converted Sportsters, Dakar style Beemers, you name it, if it looks like a Scrambler or could be one, I like it. For some nice pics of Triumph and other Scramblers, take a look at Bing images and type in what you want to see. www.bing.com. I see some cool looking bikes but none that really appear to be off road worthy. I have always wanted to take any fairly late model Triumph and really make it into a capable off road bike. Enough suspension to handle small jumps, 21" front wheel, real knobbies, off road pegs, real dirt bike bars, 2 into 1 high exhaust, whatever it takes. I have a look in mind but it's far less important than the function. I think if it works well off road it'll look fine. Not trying to make a true MX bike, but one that would be fun on an easy old school MX track or grass track, dirt roads, 2 track, and still work on the street and dirt roads.

The older Triumph Tiger "steamers" kind of fit the mold I want, but I have read of the almost impossibility of cleaning the air filter, stuff integrated into the front sprocket cover, (nonsense, Triumph, on any bike)! When I have ridden DRZs, XRLs and KLRs I kept an extra chain and front sprockets to easily change for on or off road. Tigers seem like a great concept, but they just miss the true off road mark a bit, both in looks and function. The older steamers look pretty cool but I don't think they would really do well off road. My dream bike is a KTM 950 Superenduro, but a used one that's not ragged on is still 8000.00, if you can even find one.

My simple plan is to find a mechanically sound but well used (i.e. ugly), Scrambler, even a Bonneville, and find some long travel forks and front wheel from something old enough to have the skinny fork tubes of the right diameter with 21" front wheel, maybe an older KLR or XRL, whatever works. Probably have to find or make a fork brace. Homeade skid plate? Homeade welded on wide footpegs? ATV bars with barkbusters?

I guess what I want is an older KLR 650 with a bigger motor and a cool factor. I modded the heck out of an 02 KLR doing all mentioned above and had it working exactly like I wanted, but had to sell it. Despite the great function after the mods, the KLR lacked soul. It lacked power, or even really, torque. Everyone else had one. It was fun to ride but boring as heck to look at. Even with an expensive modded 715cc motor it was still slow. I rode one with the 715 kit and wasn't impressed.

I know someone else has already done this to a Scrambler. I just can't seem to find any pics. I'm not above copying what has been done, in fact I'd prefer it. Others ideas would save money and time. Anyone have any pics or articles of such a thing already done? I'm looking for function over form, but both would be a bonus.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #17700
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I did not think that JIS sizes ran that large, pretty sure that I have always used either a No. 3 Phillips or a box wrench on the hex (seems like mine have always had hex head screws with a phillips drive as well, it makes it much easier to get the screws started when attaching). I am thinking 10 or 11mm box fits but it has been a while.

Bruce
Fire escape, thank you, I'll try a box wrench or socket set when i get home tomorrow. It's annoying to pop off the seat every time I want to charge the battery.

Anyone have a picture of how to run the battery tender leads on the bike? Just zip tie to the frame somewhere?