ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
NHKTM990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
All in with the orange crush!

Hey all, I just popped on a 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R! Here's my story:
Been a motorcyclist for all of my adult life, in fact my first vehicle purchased was a Kawi 750. I've always had jap bikes and most were fun but nothing fancy. My last bike, that I will part with Saturday was a Suzuki DR650. That bike, to date has been the most fun ride I have ever had. It goes absolutely everywhere, is light, easy to wrench and loves the dirt. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger bike but not lose dirt capability as I live in the beautiful white mountains of NH.
I had my sites set on a yamaha Super Tenere. Demo-ed one at bike week, read all the forums, and yamaha has a good rep. for quality. All set to move on one and for price comparison, I checked a dealership that also sells KTM's. I noticed they had a leftover KTM 990 ADVr and talked to the owner at Ken's Yamaha in Norway Me. He was easy to deal with, and seemed honest and fair (my only two requirments of any dealer). I told him I was pretty set on the Super T but I would take a look as I was now curious. I certainly knew about KTM's, had seen plenty of Tough One footage on the net, but never had a euro bike. So I headed over to his shop for a look.
I walked in with my wife and daughter, who both are at best lukewarm on things that go vrooom, and scanned the small showroom. Yammies were all on the left, Orange Crush on the right. At first all I could see was a line of orange fendered dirt bikes and wondered where the 990 was. Then, there, at the end of the line was the Adventure R.
Without exaggerating, I stopped in my tracks, gasped and chocked out a "there it is", to my wife. I was in one word, stunned. Later that night, my wife said she could tell as soon as I saw the ADVr that it was "the one." I staggered towards it, probably tripping over my own feet and just starred. It was SO BIG, so sexy, so prupose built. It was like when you meet a pro athelete among us mere mortals. On TV they are playing against other giants like themselves, but when you meet one in person your like, "WTF look at the size of that guy!". Everything about the KTM said, strength, agility, confidence, and of course adventure.
I consider myself a pretty good horse trader. Ken came out and greeted me, and I really dont remember what I said other than, "I'll take it". Before I saw it, I was wondering about seat height, design features, wind protection, etc. Once I saw it I was like, "who gives a shit about comfort, I WANT TO BE THAT GUY ON THE KTM!". Ken even had to remind me that I came over for a test ride! I did take it out for a spin, which only confirmed even more that I had to have it once the LC8 rumbled to life. I was immediately transformed from a dirt biker to an adventure touring Pari-Dakar racing Indiana Jones Tomb Raiding swashbuckler !
I did, at my wife's urging, take one last look at the Super T over in the Yamaha section. She suggested I take another test ride on it for an immediate comparison. While standing in front of the bike, I glanced over at the KTM which now was resting proudly on it's kickstand outside in the parking lot. It was as if the KTM, like a teammate after you make varsity, was saying, "Buddy, why are you indoors, you want to be outside with the team playing in the mud, getting dirty, bruised and beat up, and having the time of your life!" And I knew right then that it would be the KTM 990 Adventure R, and yes, I did want to play outside.
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
devildogg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
welcome aboard I just purchased my second KTM Adventure, because I thought I could live without one and sold the first one, can't wait to go pick up the second one , you wont regret your decision

And thanks for the morning read

devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Great read and congrats. So lets see some pictures!!!

I too am a new 950 owner (finally). I have always wanted a big bike capable of comfortable loaded up touring that can still be ridden like a dirt bike and it seems the KTM works pretty well. An inmate on here gave me a great deal on his 04. It was high millage (68K) and he said it used some oil. Well it turns out the balancer shaft seal was completely ripped in half so an easy fix and the neutral switch was only finger tight and leaking oil. So far I am really happy with the bike and I was going to do a top end this winter, but it runs great so I may just see how far it will go

Some pictures from a recent ride in Buena Vista, CO scouting for the Westfest ADVrider rally this summer:

COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
crushing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Congrats!

Enjoy your adventures in the future!
crushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKTM990 View Post
Been a motorcyclist for all of my adult life, in fact my first vehicle purchased was a Kawi 750. I've always had jap bikes and most were fun but nothing fancy. My last bike, that I will part with Saturday was a Suzuki DR650. That bike, to date has been the most fun ride I have ever had. It goes absolutely everywhere, is light, easy to wrench and loves the dirt. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger bike but not lose dirt capability as I live in the beautiful white mountains of NH.
I had my sites set on a yamaha Super Tenere. Demo-ed one at bike week, read all the forums, and yamaha has a good rep. for quality. All set to move on one and for price comparison, I checked a dealership that also sells KTM's. I noticed they had a leftover KTM 990 ADVr and talked to the owner at Ken's Yamaha in Norway Me. He was easy to deal with, and seemed honest and fair (my only two requirments of any dealer). I told him I was pretty set on the Super T but I would take a look as I was now curious. I certainly knew about KTM's, had seen plenty of Tough One footage on the net, but never had a euro bike. So I headed over to his shop for a look.
I walked in with my wife and daughter, who both are at best lukewarm on things that go vrooom, and scanned the small showroom. Yammies were all on the left, Orange Crush on the right. At first all I could see was a line of orange fendered dirt bikes and wondered where the 990 was. Then, there, at the end of the line was the Adventure R.
Without exaggerating, I stopped in my tracks, gasped and chocked out a "there it is", to my wife. I was in one word, stunned. Later that night, my wife said she could tell as soon as I saw the ADVr that it was "the one." I staggered towards it, probably tripping over my own feet and just starred. It was SO BIG, so sexy, so prupose built. It was like when you meet a pro athelete among us mere mortals. On TV they are playing against other giants like themselves, but when you meet one in person your like, "WTF look at the size of that guy!". Everything about the KTM said, strength, agility, confidence, and of course adventure.
I consider myself a pretty good horse trader. Ken came out and greeted me, and I really dont remember what I said other than, "I'll take it". Before I saw it, I was wondering about seat height, design features, wind protection, etc. Once I saw it I was like, "who gives a shit about comfort, I WANT TO BE THAT GUY ON THE KTM!". Ken even had to remind me that I came over for a test ride! I did take it out for a spin, which only confirmed even more that I had to have it once the LC8 rumbled to life. I was immediately transformed from a dirt biker to an adventure touring Pari-Dakar racing Indiana Jones Tomb Raiding swashbuckler !
I did, at my wife's urging, take one last look at the Super T over in the Yamaha section. She suggested I take another test ride on it for an immediate comparison. While standing in front of the bike, I glanced over at the KTM which now was resting proudly on it's kickstand outside in the parking lot. It was as if the KTM, like a teammate after you make varsity, was saying, "Buddy, why are you indoors, you want to be outside with the team playing in the mud, getting dirty, bruised and beat up, and having the time of your life!" And I knew right then that it would be the KTM 990 Adventure R, and yes, I did want to play outside.
You made the right decision if you enjoyed the DR650 so much . . . The ST would feel like a Goldwing compared to it. KTM's have the biggest fun factor in the market and will go anywhere the DR went . . . Only, much faster!
'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Dualsport Crazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Congratulations !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKTM990 View Post
Hey NHKTM990 !!!

Welcome aboard
I'm sure you made the right choice & would'nt regret this decision the least bit

I have owned many bikes in the past, but this baby makes me TICK & can't stop smiling everytime I go for a ride till today.

Enjoy your ride....
Dualsport Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
All it took was a test ride on a 990 Adv to move it to the top of my list of the next bike I want to own. It took me two years to get around to purchasing it, but I've had it for three years now and quite enjoy it. I doubt I would enjoy the Yamaha as much.

I'm curious, though. You used the word "agility" to describe the bike. It makes me wonder what else you've been riding.

Anyway, welcome to team orange.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
NHKTM990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
All it took was a test ride on a 990 Adv to move it to the top of my list of the next bike I want to own. It took me two years to get around to purchasing it, but I've had it for three years now and quite enjoy it. I doubt I would enjoy the Yamaha as much.

I'm curious, though. You used the word "agility" to describe the bike. It makes me wonder what else you've been riding.

Anyway, welcome to team orange.
Recently, Ive been riding a DR650, modded out for dirt 70/30. I also have seat time on a triumph tiger, and a host of other road bikes. The KTM felt more like the DR than the Tiger does. It is flicky and light (relatively).
Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Big drink of Orange Koolaide!

AS I read your description of "love at first sight" I felt almost misty eyed like women do sometimes at a wedding, remembering their own. Drifting down memory lane, yikes.

Lots of us can remember that "first" real glance, first handlebar caress, first pause of possibility meeting reality with money in pocket. First touch on the e-button and ensuing twin piston machine rumbling to life. How it feels to sit on top of this "Purpose built" dirt bike Ferrari, aim it in the right direction and pull the trigger.

In the scope of world experience we are but a scarce few who have the privilege of time, money, and opportunity to ride/fly such amazing motorcycles. I can watch F1 racing on TV and marvel at the cars and the men who race them. Then I can push my 990R out of the stable and bring it to life. The neighbours, people down the street, and far down the dirt tracks look at us the same way. Praise God for our freedoms and may we be gracious and generous in all that we do.

IMG_0578
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,316
Kool-Aide

Ooops. You drank the Kool-aid. Pretty soon you'll have this bizarre attraction to KTM orange things. It usually starts with the baseball caps.

Pretty soon you'll be looking for orange cell phone accessories.

After that, you start seeking out orange clothing.

And the obsession culminates with buying orange things that you don't know what to do with that you didn't really need but that you bought because they're orange.

The 12-step program starts not long after this point, but the good thing is that you can ride the bike to the meetings.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
NHKTM990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMbageera View Post
AS I read your description of "love at first sight" I felt almost misty eyed like women do sometimes at a wedding, remembering their own. Drifting down memory lane, yikes.

Lots of us can remember that "first" real glance, first handlebar caress, first pause of possibility meeting reality with money in pocket. First touch on the e-button and ensuing twin piston machine rumbling to life. How it feels to sit on top of this "Purpose built" dirt bike Ferrari, aim it in the right direction and pull the trigger.

In the scope of world experience we are but a scarce few who have the privilege of time, money, and opportunity to ride/fly such amazing motorcycles. I can watch F1 racing on TV and marvel at the cars and the men who race them. Then I can push my 990R out of the stable and bring it to life. The neighbours, people down the street, and far down the dirt tracks look at us the same way. Praise God for our freedoms and may we be gracious and generous in all that we do.

Excellent post, and humility (which my wife will tell you I don't have that gene), is a good place to start any journey. I really feel privileged to be in a position in my life to be able to own a bike that, heretofore, was a only a dream. And yes, the disease is speading already, I had an orange for breakfast!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 298
Similar story. I went to test ride a used GS, but this girl kept winking at me from across the room. Knew before I was out of the dealers lot that it was the one!

Ran a 350 mile break-in loop yesterday, love it even more.

minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Ooops. You drank the Kool-aid. Pretty soon you'll have this bizarre attraction to KTM orange things. It usually starts with the baseball caps.
Don't forget the stickers...

http://www.amazon.com/Funny-KTM-Warn.../dp/B008RB2728

mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
2d2rick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Backwards

I did it backwards. I had tons of t-shirts that were orange, a couple of sweatshirts and a hat. Started out as leftover gear from working for an excavation company, then turned into a habit of buying orange just to get a negative comment from wife. I was open to other bikes when I finally decided start seriously looking. F800GS and Tenere were on the list. I told myself I was going to look at all of them and test ride each bike. Found a 2012 990 on CL, saw it in the garage and new it was mine. So happy after I bought I took it out on Day 2, rode a 100 plus miles on pavement to my family's cabin, took a short break and then went out and promptly crashed it in the mud. It's been on a boat for over a month now though as I have moved to GE. It should be here in 3-4 weeks but not soon enough.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,548
i swore i'd never buy a ktm...

now i'm starting to turn into a collector...