Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #271
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski
I took some sticky bearing grease, put it on a flat rod tip and took her out without issue. I used a good carb spray to clean it then, reinstalled, piece of cake

The bearing grease trick worked for me.

I just purchased a 2004 950 "S" with 30,000 miles on her. I decided to dive in to the bike yesterday to begin an over all check of the bike and do some work. (She is torn down, with all the plastics removed.)

I am glad I have an Oberon slave and spacer ready to go, because when I unscrewed the two bolts and pulled it off.....there was light mineral oil leaking out. (In the 1,000 miles I have ridden the bike in the first week of ownership, the clutch was crap.)

Anyway, I pulled out the jet to check and clean it.......yet, no cleaning required. It was a blank. Now I need to decide if I go with the .03 or .05. I will run down to Apex today and hope they have one in stock.

I also wonder about this advice......especially since my bike has not had a jet in the first 30k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
If so many oil jets are plugged, what are the chances they are plugged again in a short period of time.

I was wondering if the engine should be run for a very short time with the jet out, but the cap on, to flush any particles in the oil passageway.

Warning: this will lower oil pressure in engine so NO riding this way.

What do you think?

jim

Big_John screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 08:39 PM
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #272
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post

The bearing grease trick worked for me.

I just purchased a 2004 950 "S" with 30,000 miles on her. I decided to dive in to the bike yesterday to begin an over all check of the bike and do some work. (She is torn down, with all the plastics removed.)

I am glad I have an Oberon slave and spacer ready to go, because when I unscrewed the two bolts and pulled it off.....there was light mineral oil leaking out. (In the 1,000 miles I have ridden the bike in the first week of ownership, the clutch was crap.)

Anyway, I pulled out the jet to check and clean it.......yet, no cleaning required. It was a blank. Now I need to decide if I go with the .03 or .05. I will run down to Apex today and hope they have one in stock.

I went ahead and ordered a 50 jet and it is on its way.

In the mean time, I reinstalled the 'blank'.......along with a new Oberon Clutch Slave and some of the hot new oil....Royal 10w40 (JASO and Ducati approved http://www.royalmfg.com/pds/MonarchSuperSyn_pds.pdf)...and the bike is purring like a kitten.

I started her up this morning in 34 degree weather and NO CLUTCH CHATTER!!!! Amazing!!!!! I attribute this, 100% to the oil

Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #273
rehto
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I just bought 2007(EUR) Adventure and was going to clean this jet but I'm missing one. Internet tells me that my gearbox should be really clunky and oil pressure low but I can find neutral rather easily when idling and my oil pressure light has never come on during drive. Also, I can stop my rear wheel with my shoe as I run it on stand, 1st gear, clutch engaged.

Has anyone come across any mod or reason why previous owner would have removed the jet altogether?

I'm worried about my oil pressure and will install #60 jet as soon as I receive one but it puzzles me why this machine seems to work just normally without the jet.
rehto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #274
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehto View Post
I just bought 2007(EUR) Adventure and was going to clean this jet but I'm missing one. Internet tells me that my gearbox should be really clunky and oil pressure low but I can find neutral rather easily when idling and my oil pressure light has never come on during drive. Also, I can stop my rear wheel with my shoe as I run it on stand, 1st gear, clutch engaged.

Has anyone come across any mod or reason why previous owner would have removed the jet altogether?

I'm worried about my oil pressure and will install #60 jet as soon as I receive one but it puzzles me why this machine seems to work just normally without the jet.
If you are finding Neutral easy enough I would think that your jet has no blockage.

Once these bikes have gone through some oil changes and the jet has been cleaned there is no where near the debris to clog your jet like it may have just coming from the factory.

Is it possible that you don't realize there is a cap screw you have to remove first to be able to access the jet.

I really can't see anyone wanting to remove this jet as it does aid in cooling your clutch.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #275
NKL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
The jet has to be there, people have problems with a 0.7mm jet, you would be open to a whole new world of issues with no jet just a massive hole.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #276
rehto
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Trust me guys, it's not there. I checked the hole with a mirror and I can see threads for the bolt, inlet hole for the oil, taper and second smaller thread for the jet. I can stick a rod to the hole and it goes deeper than possible if there would be a jet installed.

So please, just give me any ideas why would someone remove this jet and why my engine/gearbox still works. I must say that getting the neutral from 1st is tricky (also when in move) but I get neutral consistently from 2nd. I guess this is somewhat normal with this bike.

Additional clarification: I do have the allen bolt to seal the hole and also there is oil in the whole so it is not completely blocked, just the jet is missing.

rehto screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 06:39 AM
rehto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #277
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I made a mess of my clutch jet. i was careful but it doesn't want to budge. So I tried cleaning it while it's still in there but no luck there either. I've put a few drops of carb cleaner down there and I still can't seem to unclog with a 10 guitar string. I've read all the clutch jet threads but I've run out of ideas. Any tips to help me out??
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #278
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 786
Perhaps get a jewlers drill bit and drill out the blockage. It is going to be a bugger of a job !!
It is so important to use a screw driver that fits very snug into the slot. If you need to get the jet first, file a driver to fit snug, then remove the offender.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #279
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Rossguzzi, those jewellers dril bit look like the right tool for the job but I'm reluctant drill it as if it snaps off I'm f'd. Ill see how i go making up a suitable driver as you suggest. Yeh clearly from the photo I used too short width a bit. That wasn't so clear at the beginning being in such a PITA spot

Mind you gear changes, finding neutral is superb. Well compared to the dr
Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #280
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
Thanks Rossguzzi, those jewellers dril bit look like the right tool for the job but I'm reluctant drill it as if it snaps off I'm f'd. Ill see how i go making up a suitable driver as you suggest. Yeh clearly from the photo I used too short width a bit. That wasn't so clear at the beginning being in such a PITA spot

Mind you gear changes, finding neutral is superb. Well compared to the dr
I use one of these (obviously not the phillips version) with the appropriate box wrench to apply the torque:

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #281
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Cpt. Ron

Got the f'cker out
Red 6mm on left which did the damage, proper 8mm bit on the right slotted into jet

BTW as others have found the top is solid brass no hole. On the bottom of jet you can see hole.

felixblack1 screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 07:34 PM
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #282
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
Thanks Cpt. Ron

Got the f'cker out

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #283
PunkRockMonkey
Captain Underpants

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the help!

Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was desperately trying to find the solution to my clutch pushrod seal leak and was referred to this thread by the superduke forum.

With all of the tips in this thread, I was able to successfully remove the oiler jet for the pushrod (using the flathead screwdriver bit/q-tip approach) and cleaned the jet out with a spot of guitar string and some brake cleaner. Next thing I know, there's no more oil leak behind my slave cylinder! (At least for now.)
Name:  clutch-pushrod-oiler-pinhole.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  36.0 KB
From the look of how tiny that hole is, I'm probably going to invest in a bit larger jet, because that thing is so miniscule, it has to be practically useless!

Thanks again!

Now, it's time to ride!

PunkRockMonkey screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 05:15 PM
PunkRockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #284
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockMonkey View Post
Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was desperately trying to find the solution to my clutch pushrod seal leak and was referred to this thread by the superduke forum.

With all of the tips in this thread, I was able to successfully remove the oiler jet for the pushrod (using the flathead screwdriver bit/q-tip approach) and cleaned the jet out with a spot of guitar string and some brake cleaner. Next thing I know, there's no more oil leak behind my slave cylinder! (At least for now.)
Attachment 322883
From the look of how tiny that hole is, I'm probably going to invest in a bit larger jet, because that thing is so miniscule, it has to be practically useless!

Thanks again!

Now, it's time to ride!
The hole actually looks big to me. What size jet is that. If you go too large, you'll have trouble finding neutral when stopped.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #285
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockMonkey View Post
More oil = more drag. It's supposed to be miniscule. Ask Boatman about his early '04 with no hole in that jet...works perfect, has for years, he rides the crap out of it.

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote