Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #2236
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
Most likely the mpg will drop a bit. Don't touch the TPS unless utterly necessary. It's a sensitive thing
Thanks, will keep that in mind.
Will be interesting to see TB ballance. On my Aprilia v2 they say they run smoother with a little more favoring the rear cylinder.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #2237
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Have you thought about running a Windows emulator on your Mac?Whether this will work or not might be a question for Tom or Alain...
I use VirtualBox (GNU license - free - supported by Oracle Software). Works great. Of course, you still need a Win OS and that ususally isn't free.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #2238
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Hi all,
Hooked it up again to the laptop after work and found 2 error codes.
PO113 Inlet air temp sensor open curcuit or short curcuit to battery, and PO413 Secondary air injection system short curcuit to ground or open curcuit.
I dont know what to do with these. The bike seems to run fine.
Tb ballance was out a touch but didnt get time to adjust. TPS when hot read 6.3 - 6.3
Bike is 06, stock except Akra`s. Akra map downloaded.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #2239
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
First error is the sensor in the airbox cover. Usually people disconnect it to completely remove the cover and work on TB's. That causes the error. No big deal, reconnect it and erase the error.

the second is the SAS and probably happened the same, once was disconnected the ignition flipped on and the ecu got confused. If you don't have the stock cans the SAS is pretty much useless.

Ride on

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #2240
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Ahh, thank you.

Oh one more thing. I have SAS plates that I will fit one day soon. Should I just un tick the SAS box and fit the plates, or do I need to solder in a resistor as well.

And while I`m at it (last thing) I read that I should not adjust the TB ballance using the TuneECU instead I should use gauges (which I do have)
Is this the common wisdom?

Cheers.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #2241
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I read that I should not adjust the TB ballance using the TuneECU instead I should use gauges (which I do have)
Is this the common wisdom?Cheers.
It seems to me even if gauges are more accurate then the bikes MAP sensors, you should use the MAP sensors anyways since that's how the ECU controls the bike. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #2242
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,851
The MAP sensors are often not matched exactly. You can read the voltages when the engine is stopped and then try to balance and adjust for this difference.

I've found using the MAP sensors to balance is very frustrating. TuneECU only updates the display every 1/2 second or so. Also, the values jump all over the place. I can balance with an electronic gage in 2 minutes and know it is right on. I've spent a half hour with the MAP sensors and couldn't tell if it was balanced or not.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #2243
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
I'm using 2 stock map sensors connected to an innovate LM-2. dead accurate. its just that you cannot use tuneecu to display these values real time, that means its useless for balancing. lots of other good features though!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #2244
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Just ordered everything to build the cable. Still looking for the perfect MAP for a '12 990R w/ a CPR Filter, Leo Vince cans. Will most likely be removing SAS and everything else.

Thanks,

Laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #2245
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
Just ordered everything to build the cable. Still looking for the perfect MAP for a '12 990R w/ a CPR Filter, Leo Vince cans. Will most likely be removing SAS and everything else.

Thanks,

Laramie
That's where I'm at.
I just installed the Rottweiler air filter system on my 2012 SMT 990.
I had already removed the 2nd butterflies, and disabled the SAS as well as installed the block off plates.
I also remapped it for the Acro pipes. I forget exactly which map.

I have the Leo pipes on my bike and it was running very strong everywhere with no issues at all. After I installed the Rottweiler intake it still runs great but it seems like it may have just a bit less power now. I would assume that it is probably a bit lean now with the new intake system.

My question is, could anyone suggest a map or two to try for my set up? The only maps I know of seem to be for an exhaust only upgrade and not the exhaust and intake upgrade.

I am in a remote location and don’t have access to a tuner.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #2246
furndog
at least it's orange

Oddometer: 204
Get one of Kev's maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
My question is, could anyone suggest a map or two to try for my set up? The only maps I know of seem to be for an exhaust only upgrade and not the exhaust and intake upgrade.

Go to the Aussie SMT site and get one of Kev's maps he has several for exactly what you are looking for. I've used his maps on my SMT all with great results.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #2247
petdav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
re: smt site

Anyone know if I can safely install an smt map on a 2012 adv abs standard w/wings?
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #2248
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Going through other bikes maps into a different model ECU can be a very expensive thing. Stick to ADV model maps and their iterations.

Also 990Adv 06-08 are not compatible, only 09 onwards.

Take some time and read this thread, many of your questions are already answered!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #2249
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 975
Your opinion...?

What is the most likely root cause of the ~5000 rpm/~70mph vibration? Ignition curves, tb imbalance, or just something elementally resonant about the engine and chain? Adjusting the latter seems to alleviate it a little. I have noticed it more since installing the 2012/13 R map. My tb's were balanced according to the map sensors, but I haven't tried swapping or checking them for offset.
On using gauges...I was always a fan of analog gauges when tuning Italian twins. They were especially indicative of maladjusted throttle cables as one gauge would rise as the other fell until the adjustment was perfect. Are digitals that much better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The MAP sensors are often not matched exactly. You can read the voltages when the engine is stopped and then try to balance and adjust for this difference.

I've found using the MAP sensors to balance is very frustrating. TuneECU only updates the display every 1/2 second or so. Also, the values jump all over the place. I can balance with an electronic gage in 2 minutes and know it is right on. I've spent a half hour with the MAP sensors and couldn't tell if it was balanced or not.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #2250
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Adjusting Throttle Cables?

When I select "adjust throttle cables", I can see the software it moves the throttle bodies to it's home position then, it prompts you to turn off the ignition. But, how exactly do you adjust the cables?