Oddometer: 54
+1 Baja Designs

another plus 1 for baja designs - the best you can get imho
jameslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #243
Tremblant1
Tremblant1

Oddometer: 13
Dually's from rigid. There bomb proof and they stand by there product. Black dog make the high fender bracket for them as we'll as a few other vendors on here.
And you can get them in marine white to match the bike! Give it a OEM stealth look.
Tremblant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #244
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremblant1 View Post
Dually's from rigid. There bomb proof and they stand by there product. Black dog make the high fender bracket for them as we'll as a few other vendors on here.
And you can get them in marine white to match the bike! Give it a OEM stealth look.
Definitely not going with a dual light set up... I'd like it simple and solo just to keep it clean and straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Ditch the crashbars.

8 inch Baja designs

Make it work so i can copy/paste.

;-)
Crash bars are off, lol... I keep looking at them and thinking that when I do lay this beast down hard that they form a really nice fulcrum right in the middle of the frame and they'll probably destroy that aluminum brace that holds the tanks in tight. I'm cool with scratches... chicks dig scratches. Of course, a part of my brain is screaming to leave them on thinking they will protect them... I'll sleep on it!

I was leaning to the Baja Designs ones myself too... They are a site vendor and I personally know they are tough. A little pricier, but you pay what you get for sometimes (ie. KTM vs BMW ;) )
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #245
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

While I'm on the subject of crash bars... Best place to source CF/Kevlar skid plates? I know there must be a dozen or more places that sell them, but who's got great service and is a vendor?

*Edit: For the time being I'll run the plastic stocks ones. So far all I read is they hold up well in most everything. I think the logical side of my brain is winning the battle over the crash bars with the illogical side, lol! The just stick out too far, try to catch my brake lines, are clunky, super PITA for servicing the bike and in a dirt high side I can only see them twisting things and breaking things that would otherwise be fine.

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 09:26 PM
Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #246
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
single row mount solution...

http://petriemotorsports.wordpress.c...990s-and-690s/

If you have questions I'd recommend calling the guys at Dualsport wharehouse. Some folks I've talked to said Craig is unfortunately running into unforeseen delays in getting moved and may be offline a while longer.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #247
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
single row mount solution...

http://petriemotorsports.wordpress.c...990s-and-690s/

If you have questions I'd recommend calling the guys at Dualsport wharehouse. Some folks I've talked to said Craig is unfortunately running into unforeseen delays in getting moved and may be offline a while longer.
Unfortunately none of those configurations are with a high fender. I need to mount it above the fender, as in I'll have to cut the mesh out. Those don't solve my dilemma. I think Baja has a kit for my needs. Just need to contact them Monday, cheers!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #248
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Unfortunately none of those configurations are with a high fender. I need to mount it above the fender, as in I'll have to cut the mesh out. Those don't solve my dilemma. I think Baja has a kit for my needs. Just need to contact them Monday, cheers!
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us.../baja-designs/

Like this? But Baja probly still the better bet at the moment since Craig is moving...

Good luck with the continuing mods.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #249
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us.../baja-designs/

Like this? But Baja probly still the better bet at the moment since Craig is moving...

Good luck with the continuing mods.
Yep, that's the light alright, but I don't have high cross over crash or crash guards at all, lol! I will probably just be ordering the light itself with some wiring goodies (switch etc) and make some brackets to mount on the main head piece behind the headlight. I should be able to make some brackets from 2mm aluminum plate that use the same bolt locations as the stock KTM LED spots. Maybe. If not, there's plenty of room there if a guy gets creative, :) The 10" LED's are just a bit too wide for me I think, the 8" looks perfect!

THIS is what I'm after... :) (Just the 8" though, not the other two squadrons.)

Courtesy of: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879123
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #250
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Suspension... I need more of it.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #251
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

The hardest 60kms of it's life... So far.

Today was a freaking great day! Finally got to hang it out with a couple friends on their 200's today on some pretty damn challenging terrain. Lots of loose scree climbs, mondo rocky descents, 6000ft of altitude at times on single track with a gnarly looking fall on either side and a whole bunch of mud to play in. The 990 held her own and I only had one small off all day which was a result of my poor judgement on where I placed the front wheel to come out of a creek and up the 5 foot bank. I coulda kicked myself, but took it like a champ and laughed about it, haha!

Started the day at noon as they wanted to run some single track before I got there and I was fine with that. I wanted a fairly mellow ride, but it sure didn't turn out that way. I let them lead and choked on their 2 smoke all the way and when they turned off onto a trail I know very well I asked if they were sure they wanted to go down it... the reply was yes and so I said to carry on! We've had major rainfall and flooding in our area and I wasn't sure what to expect... The next 57.8kms of a loop we made was very entertaining!

It was a day full of 6000ft ascents, rocky scree climbs and descents, muddy madness, shotgun sounding bangs from boulders on the skid plate, log jumping, maneuvering the bike under fallen trees and in general just a lot of fun... I really, really, REALLY am gagging for more suspension and stiffer suspension now! No one had any big moments even though there was plenty of opportunity and no one even got mad, :) I love days like today... I am so tired I will post pics tomorrow though. Except for this one... She's got some beauty marks now and I need to find some flush mount signals... ;) And tires... Put a hole in the sidewall of the Scout either today or yesterday. Luckily, no puncture.

For those familiar with McLean Creek, that's the tight little single track on the south side of 5 corners. Yes, we sure did that!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #252
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Weld86/CJDesigns

Just a short quick shout out to both CJ and Weld86. Without two crucial pieces of gear on this bike, yesterday would have been a nightmare, lol! Did a going over on the bike today with a fairly decent wash job, although the flash in the photos makes it look like I never washed it at all, :( I want to thank all of the vendors who've helped this build along and all of the great help the OC has been too! This bike's nearly where I want it to be... so close!

Here's some indications of why I put this skid pan on... This is from ONE ride off road, haha! (Ok, ok... depending on what you call off road, it's been down some pretty rough forestry roads and rocky gravel stuff... I mean OFF road though) My only complaint, and it's not really a complaint as there's not much to do about it, is that I would soften the lower leading edge on the skid pan... If it was a bit rounder it would make mounting and carrying inertia over fallen logs much easier. I learned to just blip it harder on the second blip when going up and over (blip throttle to bring front end up, second blip when front tire touches obstacle, presto!) and hang on for the ride cause if you don't get up enough it catches that hard edge and will stop you hard enough to make your baby makers seek refuge in your gut, ;) Yes, I know it's not a 250, but anything can be ridden most anywhere if you just have the patience and cohones.

Took all the paint off this side lip on a few slides on boulders... If this was stock my case would be busted and a whole bunch of parts would be scattered on that rocky stretch.

Lol... there were a few times the other riders asked if I had broken something and I just yelled ahead that everything was fine... it's just the sound a rock makes when hitting a 5mm thick piece of Al, I wonder how long the powder coating will last?

This one almost bucked me off... A decent sized dent right near the corner. I swear this skid pan is bullet proof!

No hits on the relocator...

BUT! If I hadn't have relocated the sidestand I can freaking GUARANTEE that I would have done extensive and MAJOR damage to the case! The pan shows a few scrapes, but at the top there is a sizeable dent right where it would have contacted the sidestand...

Furthermore, this is what it did to the sidestand, lol!!!

Both of the mods are insanely well worth almost any cost less than a new set of cases or an ignition. I HIGHLY recommend dealing with CJ as he's got great customer service (even through the middle of a move he had my stuff to me when I got back to Canada!!!) and great products! He's a bit busy at the moment due to a move of his shop, but it will be worth the wait, I promise!

Thanks again Craig!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #253
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,308
You maniac!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #254
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Well... Today was a fun 2-up ride to a nearby lake for a friendly visit. Nothing spectacular, no hill climbs, no rock strewn battlefields, just a bit of highway loaded to nines. The 990 again makes me think it will do anything anyone asks of it, lol! It also reminded me that I hate riding with a passenger, haha! Not that she was a bad passenger, I'm just greedy and like my bike for myself, ;)

Got home and pulled out the 908's to get ready to mount tires tomorrow morning as I'm off to Kookanoosa for the weekend with a buddy to ride some kick arse terrain and low and behold I did find that dent I mentioned earlier. Front rim, right side... Not too bad. Sucked up a few spokes and I may try to drift it a bit back into shape with a 2X4 and a 10lb'r when I have the tire off. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's dented... What surprises me is that it took this long, haha! 7000kms and here's the first one. Decent stock rims, but yet another reason for me to bank a bit of coin for a good set of skinnies from Woody's. Unfortunately, though, now I need TWO sets... One for the 990 and one for the 450, ha! Frig... I need to win the lottery or something!

Dent... Not bad, but if not addressed now it will get out of shape quickly. I was running 30psi in the front as it was a really rocky section that I ride fast, but it didn't prevent it... Probably stopped me from getting a total blowout though, haha!

I haven't looked at the rear rim yet but I'm pretty sure where that cut in the sidewall is on the Heidenau Scout will be a matching dent in the rim. Meh... stuff like this happens when you get off the pavement. I just can't believe I didn't suffer a puncture let alone TWO punctures. I should have been changing tubes all weekend and didn't! Must be someone looking out for me upstairs, ;)

My OBDI adapter cable came in so I may also load up that powertrips map and give it a whirl. It's still REALLY snatchy on tight, slow single track and I'll be spending a lot of time in that stuff over the weekend. Fuel mileage is still fine at 39-41mpg normal riding/25-30mpg off road. Hopefully I don't lose a ton of mileage, but as long as the ride is smooth I don't care. Only things I'm waiting on now are a shorty screen so I don't have a guillotine staring me in the face all the time on the trails and some bits (top secret related to fuel range!).

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #255
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Played with some maps...

Tried the PowerTrips for Wings map and I think it's too lean in the bottom end. Stalled it twice setting off from a light and it's been at least 10 years since I've stalled anything at a light. I'm going to plug into it now and try the PowerTrips Akra map, :)

Decided to not touch the dent in my front rim. Without a proper press I'd be doing more harm to it just beating it into shape. It's really not that bad as I think I must have hit the rock square. The rim at the spot is a bit bent on both sides outwards. but not enough to make me worry. I just tightened the spokes and mounted up the 908's and I'll ride it all weekend in Kookanoosa. It's not even bent enough to make the wheel feel out of balance so I'm fine with it.

908's on! And then I took my 50% TKC to mount it on my old Dakar for my buddy who's coming with this weekend, :)

I will get some GoPro vids and tons of photos from Kook as it's an amazing place to ride... Sandy, rocky, trees, in eneral an uber off road playground!

Cheers!