Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 131 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #1726
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
You too, huh? I came down with Vertigo for the first time ever a few weeks ago. I go for vestibular rehab on the 27th. Hoping for the best...
Good luck! I have heard of cures anywhere from drugs to ear cleaning to carrying a flask of tequila. The one thing that I have heard is that it's common and it usually goes away.

I had it really bad many years ago when I rode my 50cc in high winds the entire way. It stayed dormant until recently. So I wouldn't worry.

But a backup plan is a good thing. I see the olde phartes at retiree RV parks in their golf carts. I expect that when the day comes I will be there parking my Spyder among the golf carts and trying to pick up the sexy 80 year old chicks ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #1727
ffchick
FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
You too, huh? I came down with Vertigo for the first time ever a few weeks ago. I go for vestibular rehab on the 27th. Hoping for the best...
Save the co-pay and search "epley maneuver" on youtube. That is probably what they'll have you do for vestibular rehab. I cured myself doing the epley maneuver and Bonine (Meclizine HCl, 25mg) to get me through work for a day or two.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #1728
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
My wife had that hit last year & an old Doc in Island Park Idaho showed her the epley maneuver.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #1729
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Rpod and other teardrop

I have had a rpod for the last year and half...i love it since its small and i can tow it anywhere...i still have problems backing up and all that (i know even with something this small)

I am 5'8 and wife is little bit shorter than me...these teardrops are made for shorter people...if ur more than 5'9 cehck out one before u buy one...i fit fine on the bed any taller i will have sleep diagonally
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #1730
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
I'm searching craigslist for a small camper trailer or slide in camper and I'm running across quite a few from companies that are out of business.

Is this an automatic red flag to not buy or worth a look?

Bonaire is the main one that I'm seeing but there are a few others.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #1731
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I'm searching craigslist for a small camper trailer or slide in camper and I'm running across quite a few from companies that are out of business.

Not sure what to say. Was just talking with a bunch of oil field guys (read: everyone lives in a travel trailer) and the number of Craigslist scams is just fawking amazing.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #1732
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:

well...whaddaya looking for specifically??

I have a Kwik-Kamp. (a fold-out camper I kin pull with my bike.)

It's an awesome rig, and has quite a cult type following.
I think it's darn near the best one ever made...but sadly, is long outta business.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #1733
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking to buy an RV and have come across several that are from manufacturers that are no longer in business.

Is parts availability something that is even a consideration with a camper or trailer?

To give an analogy.....I would never buy a SAAB now, company is bankrupt, parts sources are questionable at best just a horrible situation all around for anyone owning one.

Is buying an RV from a defunct manufacturer like buying a SAAB? Or is it a non issue as long as the RV is in good condition?

Is that a little bit clearer?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #1734
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Think this is the right thread. We just bought a Honda Odyssey and discovered Honda has a "hatch tent so you can flip down the seats and sleep inside. Some Odyssey's have a 110V inverter plug in back so you've got a lot of options. They also have a battery manager function so you won't kill it.

Turns out the company also makes other products such as pickup truck bed tents. Doesn't get much lighter than that!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #1735
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking to buy an RV and have come across several that are from manufacturers that are no longer in business.

Is parts availability something that is even a consideration with a camper or trailer?

To give an analogy.....I would never buy a SAAB now, company is bankrupt, parts sources are questionable at best just a horrible situation all around for anyone owning one.

Is buying an RV from a defunct manufacturer like buying a SAAB? Or is it a non issue as long as the RV is in good condition?

Given how killer the deal can be on a used RV versus new, I wouldn't worry. Most RVs are really built from a menu of items all available from the myriad of manufacturers around Elkhart, Indiana. So the fact that the "assembler" is out of business usually isn't a big deal. Just means tracking down your parts might be harder, but in reality with the Internet it's really probably no big deal whatsoever.

Do some brand research on how well built various brands are/were and look for the common problems. Biggest is hidden roof leak issues due to most RVs being built with a lot of wood. There are two kinds of trailers...those who have leaking roofs and those that will. Maintain them well, store in a covered area, and inspect OFTEN, and you'll catch and nip problems before they become significant.

Most of your problems will be with systems that are easy to idenfity and repair like your microwave, AC, etc. And unfortunately most have and are built with the absolute cheapest thing the RV people can find, so there's not much difference in quality level on those systems. The key here in buying used is TRY EVERYTHING. Make the seller show you every system WORKING.

--Donnie
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #1736
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Donnie, Thanks for that response. Was exactly what I'm looking for.

I hear ya on the leaks, that has been the very first thing I have been looking for in my searching.

One more question. What is the general opinion on Lance and S&S campers? They seem to hold their value better than others, is there a reason for this or just my imagination?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #1737
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Like Donnie said. Most RV and trailers are just fiberglass (boat repair stuff) or aluminum sheet. Turn signals and lights tend to be automotive stuff that you can source elsewhere if you can figure out the original source (Ford pickup turn signals used to be popular on several diesel pushers, for instance).

RV stuff like plumbing and electrical tends to be pretty universal and you can get replacements at PPL, Camping World, etc.

The only thing that really sticks in my mind is that some Wanderlodge windshields are getting scarce.

If you can be more specific on what you are looking at we can help you better.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #1738
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Think this is the right thread. We just bought a Honda Odyssey and discovered Honda has a "hatch tent so you can flip down the seats and sleep inside. Some Odyssey's have a 110V inverter plug in back so you've got a lot of options. They also have a battery manager function so you won't kill it.

Turns out the company also makes other products such as pickup truck bed tents. Doesn't get much lighter than that!
Always thought these were a great idea. Who makes them?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #1739
phoenix13
Banned

Oddometer: 307
https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/...gue/index/1/1/

usually if you see something underlined, it'll click you into the web page.
phoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #1740
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,672
my buddy who's a long distance traveler, met this guy the other day back East somewhere. (definately qualifys for this thread)

made his trailer hitch by welding rebar to his swingarm???

hey....kudos for just going out there and doin' it!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: