Oddometer: 1,152
2005 KTM 950 ADV stall, backfire, sputter issue

My third 9xx KTM. Here are the vitals:

Just bought it about two weeks ago.
12,100 miles - appears to be very unmolested
Performed OC Wisdom SAS/cannisterectomy removal
Installed D&D pipes
Rejetted carb with Pro Factory kit
Installed sportingwood's intake and ITG foam filter; this removes airbox entirely
Bike ridden between 600 and 2000 ft
Performed flappendectomy

Rode it last night for first decent distance. Prior, just starting and running around neighborhood - in which it was running very nice. Although it does seem it should pull a little harder from the bottom (stock gearing).

So last night, rode it to downtown Nashville - it was about 94 degrees heading down. Gas could be a little old in it - prior owner rode bike maybe 1,000 miles in 15 months.

For first 15-20 minutes of the ride, performed great.
Then, it began sputtering, hesitating. Oil temperature held at 4 bars most of the ride, 5 when sitting at stop light.
I was required to rev RPMs to keep it going....then it died. Did backfire a few times - from what I recall, did so on decell. Bike seemed to be starving for fuel.

Please provide some direction and advice - thanks a ton!!

I plan to re-check my venting and hoses. Sparkplug wires, battery connections, etc. to start. I've read about the ignition switch contacts.

Fuel pump?? I've researched the vacuum pump to replace the stock electronic. Just ordered from Alternate Cycle. Not sure if thats the issue at hand, but liked the idea.
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
My bike came with the Factory Pro setup. It sucked at 850' elevation and stock paper filter with no prefilter. That setup makes the bike way, way rich. I spent a long time working on it and and a lot of money on the dyno to figure out that the 45 idle jets just won't work. Pyndon convinced me to go out and buy the stock 42 idle jets (I didn't have them) and to start bringing down the jetting. My bike jetting is now fairly close to stock, and it runs perfectly. Current setup:

Idle jets: stock 42s
Float height: stock 3mm
Needles: Factory Pro titanium (stock needles are expensive, so I keep these), stock position at second slot from the end. Might move to the middle position the next time I'm in there.
Main jets: 162, 168 (slightly above stock because I run 990R cams and aftermarket exhaust)
IMS screws: FlexJet 2s out 2 turns

I ride the bike at my elevation and also take it to Denver to ride in the mountains. Therefore, having the bike slightly on the lean side is perfectly fine for me. I would guess that my bike is just about perfect on jetting or very slightly lean, so this is the perfect setup.

You can go to the larger jetting to try and make the most power possible out of the bike. However, this is just inconsistent with how the bike was designed to be set up. I do not agree with the Factory Pro people on this point at all. I want a bike that runs and idles well. I don't think you can get that out of the F.P. setup. FWIW.

Orangecicle screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 05:52 PM
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Check if one of the diaphragm rubbers isn't ripped, or one of the intakes boots isn't leaking air inside.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
My bike came with the Factory Pro setup. It sucked at 850' elevation and stock paper filter with no prefilter. That setup makes the bike way, way rich. I spent a long time working on it and and a lot of money on the dyno to figure out that the 45 idle jets just won't work. Pyndon convinced me to go out and buy the stock 42 idle jets (I didn't have them) and to start bringing down the jetting. My bike jetting is now fairly close to stock, and it runs perfectly. Current setup:

Idle jets: stock 42s
Float height: stock 3mm
Needles: Factory Pro titanium (stock needles are expensive, so I keep these), stock position at second slot from the end. Might move to the middle position the next time I'm in there.
Main jets: 162, 168 (slightly above stock because I run 990R cams and aftermarket exhaust)
IMS screws: FlexJet 2s out 2 turns

I ride the bike at my elevation and also take it to Denver to ride in the mountains. Therefore, having the bike slightly on the lean side is perfectly fine for me. I would guess that my bike is just about perfect on jetting or very slightly lean, so this is the perfect setup.

You can go to the larger jetting to try and make the most power possible out of the bike. However, this is just inconsistent with how the bike was designed to be set up. I do not agree with the Factory Pro people on this point at all. I want a bike that runs and idles well. I don't think you can get that out of the F.P. setup. FWIW.
I've ridden to 14,000 feet, get great power and 40+ mpg out of my Factory Pro jetting. I as well had the same problems you had but later realized the importance of adjusting the float height. Their instructions don't make it so clear and I have found that everyone that's come into my shop with the same complaint didn't lean out the floats.

I'm guessing the problem here is fuel pump, some trash in the jets, or an air leak.
Sporting Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,574
Fp?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
teambft OP
teambft

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!

Too embarrassed to even say this....but my initial re-teardown has led me to believe I didnt have the carbs all the way down and in their boots. Will get the tank off tonight and confirm.

ARRRRGH - and I've been riding and wrenching bikes for....hmm over 30 years
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
a.c.s.
Complaining less

Oddometer: 235
Did you check that there's enough gas in the tank?

I ran mine dry when I bought it and had the same problems. The idiot light never indicated low fuel... That makes me an idiot. Didn't realize it until I went to pull the tanks to check out the carbs and the tanks felt very light.

-An Idiot...

Semper Fidelis
a.c.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
The symptoms sound like it is sucking air. That is where I would check first you are likely right that a carb has come loose.

There are two clamps for each carb, make sure they are both seated and clamped.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
Thanks all!!!!!!!!!

Too embarrassed to even say this....but my initial re-teardown has led me to believe I didnt have the carbs all the way down and in their boots. Will get the tank off tonight and confirm.

ARRRRGH - and I've been riding and wrenching bikes for....hmm over 30 years
Happens! Be gentle with the hose clamps, they will strip if you look at them too hard. Back when they raced these things in the Paris Dakar, those guys safety tied the boots.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
teambft OP
teambft

Well, tightened the carbs down to the boots. Rode her tonight and it started again with the same symptoms. Thanks for all the advice - will keep digging.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,271
Is there a fuel filter in the line somewhere?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
teambft OP
teambft

Thanks.......will add that to my list.....
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Well, tightened the carbs down to the boots. Rode her tonight and it started again with the same symptoms. Thanks for all the advice - will keep digging.
Check your ignition switch. I had the exact same issue and thought it was Mexican gas that was causing it. If the problem is more or less constant look in the HOW for the hotwiring tip, set up the wires ahead of time and install it when it starts. if the issue disappears and never recurs it's the switch.

it's an outside possibility, but the ease of testing would put it at the top of my t-shoot list.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
teambft OP
teambft

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
Check your ignition switch. I had the exact same issue and thought it was Mexican gas that was causing it. If the problem is more or less constant look in the HOW for the hotwiring tip, set up the wires ahead of time and install it when it starts. if the issue disappears and never recurs it's the switch.

it's an outside possibility, but the ease of testing would put it at the top of my t-shoot list.

Thanks!! Thats on my list as well - read about it in one of the forums.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:

Are your tanks full? As long as fuel is above carb level it'll feed the carbs. This is a quick way to tell if you have a bad fuel pump... I'm on my 3rd one.

Unless you added a fuel filter, there isn't one on there from the factory besides the strainer screens on the petcocks. Otherwise a plugged up one can cause this.

Since you rejetted, it could be something has gone awry in the carbs. Remote possibilities could be a leaking diaphragm, sticking float needle, overly lean adjusted float.... but these just don't seem likely to me.

Could also be sucking air from one of the smog gear holes in the intakes.

My money's on fuel pump. Hope you get it worked out so you can go ride that thing.