User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #29701
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
We got out in between T storms this weekend, and somwhow stayed mostly dry.

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #29702
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Trainers

Can someone recommend an inexpensive but sturdy trainer, that I could use on my GT mountain bike. Due to family commitments, I am not am able to get out and actually ride the bike nearly as much as I would like, so early mornings with a trainer might work out better for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Much appreciated.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #29703
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Can someone recommend an inexpensive but sturdy trainer, that I could use on my GT mountain bike. Due to family commitments, I am not am able to get out and actually ride the bike nearly as much as I would like, so early mornings with a trainer might work out better for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Much appreciated.
Doug, there are no really 'bad' trainers these days, but your biggest savings will be to opt for one that uses magnets to provide resistance, rather than the hydraulic variety, which typically retail for $100 more. In addition to the higher price, hydraulic trainers (with one exception I'm aware of) are notorious for developing leaks when the seals fail. Whichever one you decide on, my advise is to buy used. Lots of people buy trainers and never use them. You'll find hardly used 2nd hand trainers for much less than their original retail price on e-bay.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #29704
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Doug, there are no really 'bad' trainers these days, but your biggest savings will be to opt for one that uses magnets to provide resistance, rather than the hydraulic variety, which typically retail for $100 more. In addition to the higher price, hydraulic trainers (with one exception I'm aware of) are notorious for developing leaks when the seals fail. Whichever one you decide on, my advise is to buy used. Lots of people buy trainers and never use them. You'll find hardly used 2nd hand trainers for much less than their original retail price on e-bay.
Both good points..thanks for the input.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #29705
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Both good points..thanks for the input.
One additional piece of advice: instead of using your regular road tire, buy an inexpensive tire made specifically for trainers. The reason you don't want to use your road tire is because it will quickly wear out on the trainer's rotating drum. Many people keep a cheap spare wheel with the trainer tire mounted on it for just this purpose. When they want to use the trainer, they simply swap rear wheels.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #29706
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,871
Flattish?
I ride flattish.
I bet your ride had fewer warehouse backs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Finally a day without OT at work let me get a ride in before the temps broke 100. Figured I would stay close to home so I did some climbing up the local canyon. Three hours of fun and I am ready for bed. I think my Tuesday ride is going to be long flattish miles. My legs are toast!

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #29707
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,871
That was some riding. Wow. The next step in my goal is to be able to do two days back to back of good long rides. Then I can start stretching it out a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
We got out in between T storms this weekend, and somehow stayed mostly dry.

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #29708
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
How quickly is that potassium made available for use Kbasa? I know some things kick in immediately and some more slowly. Many years ago when I worked heavy construction we took salt tablets daily during the summer. That practice fell out of favor. Is it coming back like out of round chain rings?

One of my pre ride favorites is a peanut butter, bacon and honey sandwich. How would you rate that?
I would think that the potassium is available pretty quickly. The CytoMax guys recommend beginning consumption about 15 minutes prior to riding, then consuming about 5 ounces every 15 minutes. I haven't seen salt tablets, but we all add it or Nuun to our water bottles at every stop. Our rides lately have been in pretty warm weather and everybody's gear is stained with salt stains. I usually wind up with salt deposits on the side of my face, which is kind of freaky.

Looks good. Got some honey for quick energy and the bread and peanut butter for some longer term stuff. The bacon is great as fat is another great long term fuel. I like to have a big plate of hash browns, two eggs and a couple strips of bacon about an hour before I roll. It takes a bit for my body to get those into position for use, so I like to get up early, eat, and then head to the ride start.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #29709
kbasa
Colnago!

And there we go. The last training ride for Death Ride is in the books. We were originally slated for 120 and 13K, but traffic for the Dipsea Double and ridiculous temps curtailed our last climbing excursion, which would have added 7 miles and another 1500 or so feet.

We started about 8 and temps were in the 60s, which was perfect, but as the day wore on, we saw temps in the 90s along the coast, paired with a terrific headwind. In the morning, we went up Mt. Tam, descended down through Muir Woods to the ocean, then back up Panoramic Highway to the junction at Ridgecrest. As we were coming down 1, prior to Panoramic, traffic was all backed up so the Dipsea runners could cross the road. As we started up Panoramic, same thing - cars everywhere. When we got to the top, we elected to climb a bit further, then descend Fairfax Bolinas, which would be clear of traffic.

As we rolled north, we came across a Fire Department scene where there'd been a motorcycle accident. They wouldn't let us through, so we wound up taking a 5 or so mile detour to get around. Ugh. By then, temps were in the mid 90s and the route was pretty much unprotected from headwinds or the sun.

So, this was our last Harden The Fuck Up training ride and we're now into taper time. I'm going to roll a 30 on the way home on Wednesday, probably spin up a 10 or so on Friday and then we're out for a quick 35 on Saturday prior to our send off. It's been a great season and I've managed to accomplish a bunch of things I never, ever thought I'd do. We've climbed all the big bay area climbs: Mt. Hamilton, Mt. Diablo, Mt. Tamalpais. We've climbed most of the roads leading up to Skyline down on the Peninsula: Tunitas Creek, Old La Honda, Page Mill, King Mountain, Pescadero Creek, you name it, we've ridden it. Over in the east bay, we've been all over: The Three Bears, El Toyonal, Pinehurst so many times I've lost count. I've put about 2000 miles on the Colnago and spent about 155 hours on it along the way. I'm not sure what my total climbing has been, but I know it's absolutely ridiculous and probably on the high side of 100K anyway.

July 13th we'll roll out at about 4am and get Death Ride. I'm all about having a 5 pass finisher jersey this year and figure it's doable. I"m just going to need to get my HTFU on and stop whimpering on the big climbs. Here we go.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #29710
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,230
Great job!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #29711
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,770
Great job Kbasa!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #29712
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Great job!!
Thanks. Unusually for me, I'm kind of sore today, so Aleve is my friend.

While Saturday was an epic ride, when I got home we had to go put our cat to sleep, which totally sucked. I could not get to sleep, even though I was physically, emotionally and mentally fried. Ugh.

RIP Indy. It was too soon, buddy.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #29713
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Great job Kbasa!
+1

Can't wait for the Death Ride report. Sounds like your training will really pay off.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #29714
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
cyclingfans and sporthill.tv

both free

M
But what if I want to watch after the stage is complete? I suppose I could wait until I get home and watch the DVR, but I kinda liked having the ToC on in the background on my PC.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #29715
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,230
Sorry to hear about Indy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: