User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #29581
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,861
Well, I just had to go for a short ride today just to experience riding in temps of 118F/47.8C. I only rode for about 30 minutes and I certainly don't see riding in temps that high as becoming a habit. It was tough since my normal cutoff is around 100F but it was interesting to experience these kind of temps.

Up for about 45 miles tomorrow - will be finished well before 8 AM though.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #29582
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
I'd mercifully forgotten how badly live tv sucks compared to innerweb feeds.

Enough with the baseball updates already!

M
Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #29583
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,688
$14.99

NBC app for my iPad
Best 15 bucks spent.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #29584
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
cyclingfans and sporthill.tv

both free

M
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #29585
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,838
On Friday a young guy came by me at the park when I was headed back home, he was on an S-Works TT bike, but turning over a big gear. ONce he was out about a football field, I decided he wasn't going fast.
He had gone by while I was getting my legs going again, so I spun the gear up on top, shifted up and got on top of that one. Caught him just at the short jump up to the street level. He saw / heard me and jumped on his pedals. Mashing a good sized gear, a bit too big too. I hung right with hem, and just at the top he tried for a lower gear and ground them.
I didn't need a gear and spun by him, shifted up , took the street exit and spun it up to the big ring middle ofthe block. Hit over thirty when I descended back onto the trail.
This is what I see a lot out here; guys buying and riding the latest fast TT bike, yet knowing next to nothing about how to make those bikes go fast.
I guess most figure you get it into the big gears and just rock and mash. That ain't fast. A rider has to put that initial thousand miles in spinning the small ring and managing the pressure with the rear block. If a rider does that then he can get the big ring spinning and work his way up to the big gears.
And that is the foundation of why roadies think Tri-guys can't ride.

The Tri boys who learn to spin, win. Those who don't get pain and gnashing of teeth.

This is also part of the "old age and treachery" thing.

Today is a self-declared rest day for me.

To feel what a TDF climb is like go find a big hill and use a real GPS tool to measure the grade, I like "Motion-X GPS". Cool iPhone app. Then you get an idea of what a couple mile long 10% grade is like. Of course riding 75 miles and finishing at the top of that would REALLY simulate that.

Club racing or training with a well organized team can give you a great feel for what life in the peleton is like, as well as what spinning along at 35 mph is like. Doing that in the rain on gravel will really let you get a feeling for some of those Spring classics.
A great way to get ready for the tour coverage.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #29586
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
On Friday a young guy came by me at the park when I was headed back home, he was on an S-Works TT bike, but turning over a big gear. ONce he was out about a football field, I decided he wasn't going fast.
He had gone by while I was getting my legs going again, so I spun the gear up on top, shifted up and got on top of that one. Caught him just at the short jump up to the street level. He saw / heard me and jumped on his pedals. Mashing a good sized gear, a bit too big too. I hung right with hem, and just at the top he tried for a lower gear and ground them.
I didn't need a gear and spun by him, shifted up , took the street exit and spun it up to the big ring middle ofthe block. Hit over thirty when I descended back onto the trail.
This is what I see a lot out here; guys buying and riding the latest fast TT bike, yet knowing next to nothing about how to make those bikes go fast.
I guess most figure you get it into the big gears and just rock and mash. That ain't fast. A rider has to put that initial thousand miles in spinning the small ring and managing the pressure with the rear block. If a rider does that then he can get the big ring spinning and work his way up to the big gears.
And that is the foundation of why roadies think Tri-guys can't ride.

The Tri boys who learn to spin, win. Those who don't get pain and gnashing of teeth.
It's hard to believe that any rider, even a relatively new one, wouldn't already understand that. I'll bet that what really happened was something I've both witnessed and done myself. If you're a reasonably fast rider and you have the natural competitive traits that most males possess, you don't want to see someone passing you. But you also don't want them to know that you don't want them passing you, because that would look a bit childish. Incresing your speed by downshifting would be an open admission that you're trying to beat him. You don't want that, so the only thing you can do in that situation is to push harder on the pedals and pretend it has nothing to do with staying ahead of the rider behind you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

By the way, this kind of behavior is something I've seen much more often on mountain bike trails than I have on the road. A mtb rider will be going at a pace he feels comfortable with, but the moment he hears you approaching from behind, he immediately picks up the pace, rather than moving over to let you by.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #29587
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,861
40 miles....hot, damn hot.

Up at 0430, out the door at 0450. Made a quick stop at McD's for a bite to eat and then met a group at a local shop for a 0545 departure. This group is a no-drop, 15 mph group so I generally ride at the rear for about half the ride and once we make the turn home, I go at my own pace. Today, that pace was 24-25 mph. The heat was building and it got pretty miserable for the last five miles which was into the wind. Just over 40 miles total.

Usually, several in the group will try to jump on my wheel when I take off. Two Sunday's ago, the ride leader posted a note after the ride, "Great pace line on Queen Creek today." Yep - that was the same pace line that I dropped after they tried to follow me out.

Today, no one tried to follow me - I guess it was too hot to play. When we got to the regroup, it was 15 minutes before the next rider arrived.

As I arrived at home, the Garmin was reporting 103.4 but it tends to read 3 degrees high so I'll go with an even 100F upon arrival.

I think I'll hide inside for the rest of the day.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #29588
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Finally a day without OT at work let me get a ride in before the temps broke 100. Figured I would stay close to home so I did some climbing up the local canyon. Three hours of fun and I am ready for bed. I think my Tuesday ride is going to be long flattish miles. My legs are toast!

soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #29589
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
We got out in between T storms this weekend, and somwhow stayed mostly dry.

rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #29590
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,363
Trainers

Can someone recommend an inexpensive but sturdy trainer, that I could use on my GT mountain bike. Due to family commitments, I am not am able to get out and actually ride the bike nearly as much as I would like, so early mornings with a trainer might work out better for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Much appreciated.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #29591
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Can someone recommend an inexpensive but sturdy trainer, that I could use on my GT mountain bike. Due to family commitments, I am not am able to get out and actually ride the bike nearly as much as I would like, so early mornings with a trainer might work out better for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Much appreciated.
Doug, there are no really 'bad' trainers these days, but your biggest savings will be to opt for one that uses magnets to provide resistance, rather than the hydraulic variety, which typically retail for $100 more. In addition to the higher price, hydraulic trainers (with one exception I'm aware of) are notorious for developing leaks when the seals fail. Whichever one you decide on, my advise is to buy used. Lots of people buy trainers and never use them. You'll find hardly used 2nd hand trainers for much less than their original retail price on e-bay.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #29592
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Doug, there are no really 'bad' trainers these days, but your biggest savings will be to opt for one that uses magnets to provide resistance, rather than the hydraulic variety, which typically retail for $100 more. In addition to the higher price, hydraulic trainers (with one exception I'm aware of) are notorious for developing leaks when the seals fail. Whichever one you decide on, my advise is to buy used. Lots of people buy trainers and never use them. You'll find hardly used 2nd hand trainers for much less than their original retail price on e-bay.
Both good points..thanks for the input.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #29593
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Both good points..thanks for the input.
One additional piece of advice: instead of using your regular road tire, buy an inexpensive tire made specifically for trainers. The reason you don't want to use your road tire is because it will quickly wear out on the trainer's rotating drum. Many people keep a cheap spare wheel with the trainer tire mounted on it for just this purpose. When they want to use the trainer, they simply swap rear wheels.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #29594
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Flattish?
I ride flattish.
I bet your ride had fewer warehouse backs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Finally a day without OT at work let me get a ride in before the temps broke 100. Figured I would stay close to home so I did some climbing up the local canyon. Three hours of fun and I am ready for bed. I think my Tuesday ride is going to be long flattish miles. My legs are toast!

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #29595
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

That was some riding. Wow. The next step in my goal is to be able to do two days back to back of good long rides. Then I can start stretching it out a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
We got out in between T storms this weekend, and somehow stayed mostly dry.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: