Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #106
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Really enjoying the thread, keep up the great work!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #107
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Thanks for the interest, it is nice to have a bit of a feedback from time to time :-)
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #108
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

This morning during the coffee brake I mounted the speedo, the light and started to mesure the distances so I can cut the light holding bracket

Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #109
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

And my girlfriend took a couple of photos of my ugly mug on the bike :-)

Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #110
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
This morning during the coffee brake I mounted the speedo, the light and started to mesure the distances so I can cut the light holding bracket
Aesthetically, I think the headlight would look good if it were Lower, as well as closer to the bike. Will those generic mounts slide down the forks a bit? Doesn't need to be far, but center of the headlight lined up with the center of the tank when seen in profile (or the top of the tank, that looks good on some bikes too). Take a look at other factory naked bikes to see what I mean about height placement.

Anyway, just another lurker who thinks you're doing a great job thus-far, especially given your workshop.

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #111
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,189
Nice work, but what about some pictures of the girlfriend on the bike?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #112
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Aesthetically, I think the headlight would look good if it were Lower, as well as closer to the bike. Will those generic mounts slide down the forks a bit? Doesn't need to be far, but center of the headlight lined up with the center of the tank when seen in profile (or the top of the tank, that looks good on some bikes too). Take a look at other factory naked bikes to see what I mean about height placement.

Anyway, just another lurker who thinks you're doing a great job thus-far, especially given your workshop.
Yes, I gave a lot of tought about the headlight position. If I was going on a classic "naked" bike, I would have get a much bigger headlamp 7" and would put it very low, streetfighter style, but since this bike is eventually going to evolve into a fullbloded scrambler, get knobby tyres and higher front fender, I am going to keep the headlight as high as posible, to protect it from the elements. On this bike the function of some parts is put before the aestethics, but I even like the high lamp position :-)

Like this

Thanks for the input
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #113
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Moto View Post
Nice work, but what about some pictures of the girlfriend on the bike?
The girl really liked your remark, so she is getting lubbed up as I type this and is going to put on some fishnets and we are going to put a all night-drunken barbecue-lesbian orgy in the garden, pictures will follow shortly
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #114
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

After lunch, I decided to measure the rear a bit, and to see what can be done about the ugly, gaping whole :-)

There is a big gap from both sides, so maybe I put some toolboxes between the brackets and the bike

I have mixed feelings about the numberplate position, I have too sleep on this one :-)

Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #115
Milosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Question

I love this build. Are you going to go for spoke wheels and knobbies? Are you going to relocate the exhaust for a skidplate?
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #116
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

For the time being I am going to leave this wheels on the bike, and this tyres are brand new and I am going to ride the living hell out of them this summer, 99% of the time this bike is going to be ridden on the road this year. But at the fall, I am going to go and put dualsport oriented tyres or something with bigger knobs for the snow and mud. Regarding the skidplate, it is definitely going on in a couple of days, but it is not going to be a classic skidplate, I am going to put a snow shovel under the bike, I got the inspiration from the yamaha ryoku concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oBsmTcZT-A

and snow shovels are really cheap during the summer in Croatia, so I can get one for around 10 bucks :-)

I am not going to relocate the exhaust at this point because I have no welder, I have no welding skills ( yet, I am working on it as we speak ) and I don't have it in the budget for this bike :-) But, the rear suspension is going to be lifted for another 5 centimeters, so I will get some ground clearance there.

I have to remind myself that this is a build on a budget, and that I must draw some lines and make certain compromises, and let's be honest, I think that this bike will spend more than 90% of its life on the paved roads, and some gravel ones from time to time, but as it is my only bike at the moment, I want it to be a multipurpose wehicle :-)

Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #117
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
The girl really liked your remark, so she is getting lubbed up as I type this and is going to put on some fishnets and we are going to put a all night-drunken barbecue-lesbian orgy in the garden, pictures will follow shortly

Ok, I just landed at the airport here in Zagreb, I'll be right there!

Jokes aside, I am enjoying your build, you are doing an excellent job, keep up the good work!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #118
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

bought a bunch of screws

mounted the exhaust headers

tomatoes are growing nicely :-)

measured the lenghts of throtle, clutch and choke cabels, nex week I am going to have a brand new ones custom made to fit this bike

chain tensioner was a bit rusty so I took care of them

disc ready for sleaning

nice and shiny

done :-)

aposaric screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 08:40 AM
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #119
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

tested a couple of headlamp positions

definitely like the highest position the best

I need a custom radiator water owerflow bottle, so I found two in the storage

And finally, today I started to produce the new wiring loom

Here is the original shematics

I am going too keep the good parts of the original

I measured and labeled everything precisely

90% of connectors are going to be replaced or rebuilt

Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #120
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

I allready sleaned and brushed the stator, and redid the internal wiring and insulation, so I started from the source of the power, the alternator.

Connector is hanging here on hopes and wishes :-) I bet thet a lot of the electrical problems previous owner had came from this little fucker :-)

took it apart and cleaned it a bit. All of the connectors were coroded, so I am going to redo it from scratch

cut, insulate

prepare for a heatchrinking and soldering

juck :-)

I took It all apart and I am getting the boat certified connectors on such mayor places, lights, blinkers and spenders wit low amperage will get simpler connectors. There was a huge resistance in the wires and conectors
so most of the wires will be replaced, and every single connector replaced or repaired and soldered together. I am not going to put a lot of pictures of me soldering, I bet it is not very interesting to watch :-) So iI am going to skip on the borring stuf and continue when the wiring is over :-)

cheers,

andrija