User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
overlandr OP
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,799
Anyone using the Samsung Galaxy Player 5 (or Galaxy S WiFi 5.0)?

I am interested in anyone ACTUALLY using the Samsung Galaxy Player 5 as their main android GPS? Screen? Water ingress/case? CPU? Older OS (2.3) ?

At its price, it could be good for those needing a cheaper android GPS platform (without the GSM phone bit) dedicated to GPS use.

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I have one.
Perhaps I am doing it wrong, I have tried to use it as a GPS but it does not really work.
I saved maps for offline use, but once away from wifi it balks and give you error messages about data connection.
None of the search, direction or navigation functions will work.

You can see your location on the map via the GPS, and you can see the road details of the maps that you have saved.
It only seems to work as a moving map.

It also takes forever to save the maps and you have to save a bunch of them to cover any reasonable amount of area.

It takes about 5-10 mins or so per map to download on wifi and depending on the road density one map just covers 1 or 2 towns, maybe 20-30 square miles. Citys may take a few maps to cover.

The closest I have got to get it to work is to get it started on a route while on wifi then it will route you on it, but as I recall it balks if you get off route and it needs to re-route.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
I've been using a Galaxy Player 4.5 for about 8 months now. I keep it in a RAM aquabox (without the cover except when raining). I run CoPilot for navigation most of the time (on-board maps etc.), but I have an assortment of other Android GPS apps, depending on what I am doing with it. Some of them you just have to cache the maps before heading out.. The only problem is with the power supply. It requires a bit more juice to run, and some USB and car-chargers don't put out enough. I bought a heavy-duty charger (can't remember the brand) and it has been fine since. Visibility is OK, better than my HTC phone, but still not quite 'outdoor' friendly. It has been dropped, rained on, and used heavily on my KLR in the dirt and dust as well as on the road. Never had any durability issues (yet!). Sometimes I can work it with gloves on, but usually requires taking them off. Overall, I'm very happy with the setup and plan to continue using it for the foreseeable future. I really like the versatility of Android with a plethora of apps to meet whatever needs you have. Much more flexible than the 'other' dedicated GPS units! And a heck of a lot less expensive!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
overlandr OP
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
I've been using a Galaxy Player 4.5 for about 8 months now.
I've heard of the 4 and 5 but not the 4.5 ; is it a new model?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I've heard of the 4 and 5 but not the 4.5 ; is it a new model?
Sorry, it was a 4.2.. My bad.