Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #181
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,211
I was curious about the weight difference between my bike & the Full Circle Ninja. I removed the skid pan, engine guards, tail rack & passenger peg mounts so I could make a more direct comparison & see where the extra weight is. His weighed 388 with 3 gallons of fuel, with the fluff removed mine is 420 with 5.4 gallons. Minus 2.4 gallons of fuel it's 404.6 lbs.
The difference (16.4 lbs) is not as bad as I feared. From what I've read the stock muffler is easily 10lbs of that. I feel better now

I am looking harder at making my own engine guards, I think I can save 7-8lbs there, the skid pan is 5lbs total with the brackets, I might do something different with the front mounts, but the pan itself is very well designed to work with the stock muffler.

Yesterday's ride completely convinced me the bike is a keeper, so I need to make it more presentable. I'd rather ride, but I'm going to have to strip it to paint/powdercoat. I hate to make it too pretty though knowing it will get some trail rash.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #182
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
It doesn't look That bad Get rid of the red frame and you will have a whole new bike. maybe a gunmetal frame and accents over silver (early 950 adv) or keep the blue metallic.. The fairing might be easy to vinyl wrap in some sort of matte finish

Muffler is definitely an anchor but its indestructible and quiet

How much does your light and fairing weigh? how much wind blast do you get at 85mph? could you stand up going that fast?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #183
4play
Next?

Yeah, the muffler is heavy, but it's quiet, it's spark arrestor legal & it's tough as all get out. It's also very low on the bike so the weight is not going to make much difference & it's not like I need anymore power . I'm pretty set on black for the tank, possibly with some lettering or something, the frame I'm thinking charcoal or black.

The fairing cuts the wind off the chest just right forhwy cruising without blocking too much IMHO, it deflects just enough over the head that the visor on my offroad helmet was not trying to yank my head off. I didn't try to stand at 85mph but I was cruising some of the two track at 50-60 standing comfortably. I didn't weigh it, but it weighs less than my Trail Tech 8" racelight & puts out more light.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #184
4play
Next?

Yeah, the maroon frame has to go

Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #185
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Yeah, the maroon frame has to go
Ooooh I reckon the blue/black makes for a damn fine looking bike.

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #186
4play
Next?

Wanted to get the Saddle bags fitted before I stripped the bike down for paint so they can be painted to match as well.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #187
4play
Next?

Nearly naked, getting ready for paint or powder coat, undecided..

Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #188
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
I would go with paint, powder coating is nice and all..but very brittle and if it gets a crack, water will get in and it will rust.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #189
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
I got some good feedback in THIS thread regarding paint or powder coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Sand blasting, or "media blasting" is the way to go, but when you call around where ever you live, make sure the provider of the blasting service where you drop it off understands it's "motorcycle sheet metal".

Some 'blasters see more trailer and truck frames, and throw all they have it, with no worries. You want someone that has the finesse and experience with sheet metal, you want it cleaned up and bare, but not distorted. I have worked with some blaster guys that were not familiar or comfortable on lighter sheetmetal, and were good enough to tell me before I dropped something off.

Powder coating, again- great idea, but on parts that may need some bodywork, a little bondo here or there to cover a dent, or some filler over rust cratering, etc., conventional primer and automotive paint is really the ticket, no so much as powder coating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Powder coating is good for hubs, cases, hard parts - not frames or bodywork. You can still buy Dupont Centari over there, is outstanding for frames and tanks, etc.

Powdercoating is very hard but still chips. The problem is that you cannot sand it smooth and re-shoot it, and it is virtually impossible to remove. So once you go down that road it is a complete dead end, no turning back. A lot of people make that mistake on frames. Really bad idea.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #190
4play
Next?

Powder coating is more durable than paint. My 6 yr old KTM frame with 300 hrs of serious off roading is in remarkable shape. I've done some welding adding a headstay etc. it sands down & touches up with spray paint just fine.
For this one, I'm going with paint mostly because I can do it myself.
Now I'm debating, gloss black, satin black or charcoal?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #191
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 242
I think the easiest one to clean will be something glossy, but the mat black looks the best, but cleaning is a nightmare :-) No matter what shade you go with, as long as it is black :-) It is going to look amazing
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #192
4play
Next?

After studying the SW engine guards in more detail, confident I could do it better, I decided JD & others are right. They've been crash tested they provide good coverage for not only the engine but the sides of the radiators. I might be able to shave a few lbs, but I won't improve on the coverage. They go back on until I get really, really bored.
I'm going with satin black on the frame, engine guards & tail/saddlebag rack.Should be able to start reassembly Weds.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #193
4play
Next?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #194
4play
Next?

It's black

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #195
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,706
That's gonna look good.Now it just needs Suzuki blue body work.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote