Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #226
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Jager, Now for the important stuff....... Hows the fishing in the creeks after all this rain? I will be heading that way in the next few weeks to pick up a trials bike I purchased from an inmate during the winter and would like to fish a little on the way back I am all ears for a report
I suspect the fishing is fecked. Certainly for now, perhaps for the whole year.

The creeks and rivers just got a world class enema, reminiscent of 1995 flooding. The water is still ripping right now, and the temps now in the 35+ range are now going to melt the snow to join with what the rain dropped.

I might be way out to lunch, but I think a lot of redds just got torn out and/or silted up. My plan at the moment is to look to fishing around our place in Montana, look to the creeks and rivers around Missoula. I hope I'm wrong on the fishing for the Elk, Bull, etc this year, but I doubt it.

Not to mention the fact that so many of the FSRs into those locations have multiple washouts and bridges out anyways.

Depressing...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #227
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
High Water

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. Around here the Bow might be fishable in August if we are lucky! Might have to take the long way home on US2 and check out the Flathead or Kootenai although I always wanted to fish the Blackfoot its a little out of the way. Any suggestions of small streams in the Libby area
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #228
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Just heard some fish expert on the radio today say that the Bow probably lost 50% of it's fish stock. However there are gravel bars aplenty now and that should improve spawning. It will take years to recover though.

Also your usual spots are probably not so good anymore. A lot of terrain has moved and so have the holes.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #229
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Well that's not what I wanted to hear.
I know... I was looking forward to another year of 19" westslope cutties all day long on the local rivers and streams...

Quote:
Around here the Bow might be fishable in August if we are lucky! Might have to take the long way home on US2 and check out the Flathead or Kootenai although I always wanted to fish the Blackfoot its a little out of the way. Any suggestions of small streams in the Libby area
Can't help you there - I don't spend a lot of time around Libby, other than riding through.

I'd suggest the Thompson River and the Clark Fork. If you're getting further east, I'd be thinking of the streams just outside of Missoula.

Best bet is to contact the boys at Lakestream in Whitefish, and Grizzly Hackle in Missoula. They both have websites and are happy to dispense information.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #230
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Thumb Bow River

I would not write it off so quick it survived 95 and 05 and fished well those years. We may have lost a year class but its part of nature and tends to bounce back quickly, as for the old spots thats the beauty of the Bow it tends to change a lot every year between the flooding and the ice scouring which makes it seem like a new river every spring/summer. Looking forward to getting out and seeing the changes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #231
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Thumb Nice Cutty

Nice cutty hope there's still a few up in frenchmans creek
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #232
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,875
So.

Nobody's been on the Grey Creek Pass lately?
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #233
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
News from my Forestry guy after they flew the area yesterday is Redding/Gray Creek is closed at 3km due to washout. And at that particular point, if it is washed out, it might be REALLY washed out.

Nothing beyond that on how pressing the District feels fixing the washout is i.e. will they put that at the top of the priority list and fix it immediately, or is it somewhere down near the bottom or ignored again like last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Nobody's been on the Grey Creek Pass lately?
We cancelled our ride over to see if it was open last week after reading this. Knowing how long these things take to get repaired, I doubt it will be open for quite awhile.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #234
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Thumb It's open, IT'S OPEN!!

Just got back from having lunch in Marysville at Buddha. Slight delay on the way over while I waited for the washout [N49 36.948 W116 36.091] to be fixed. A machine showed up just as I was about to turn back. There was an ATV track around the missing road but I didn't want to chance it solo.
Some rough spots and some loose gravel with a bit of depth. Active logging on the west side up to 4km. I did not check out the powerline road at all.

250senuf screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:51 AM Reason: add GPS point info
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #235
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
From Last Thursday. The easy part on the east side about 50 km west of the junction with St. Mary's road. It was all good with a few soft sections where the repairs had been done.
Thnx for posting that. Really nice country back there. I suspect one day that route will be paved Gotta see it before that ever happens.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #236
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
I suspect one day that route will be paved Gotta see it before that ever happens.
I doubt that it will ever be paved. They barely maintain it now.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #237
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Darn missed it yesterday....or the rain clouds did it for me. Looked ugly up there. Got wet on the longer way around instead and couldn't bribe my way first on the ferry, was parked before my friend came on shift and that made me miss Meadow Creek-Trout Lake.

But I asked about road conditions at the Greys Creek store and they said it was good.Better info there than some roads up north where I was told not to take "that" bike and did anyway.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #238
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

2nd Annual Lunch in Marysville

Just to see for myself I rode over and back today. Some parts of the road are better, some are worse than this time last year. Averages out to being the same.

Met two riders heading west a few kms east of the summit. The lady was on a VStrom 650 without a front brake. . The coupling/splitter for the dual calipers had lossened and spilled the juice. Saw no sign of them on my return so I'm assuming it ended well. Having to go down the east side without a front brake would have been WAY uglier. The first 12km east from the summit was the worst of the ride.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #239
Jäger
Osons

If I'd known you were heading over I would have met you half way.

Rode a little further up the St Maries instead to see if I could get into any decent walk 'n wade flyfishing. The river is still ripping along pretty good lower down.