Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #436
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
It's lighter than a 1200GS.

Finally got my springs ordered!!

Ten days out for custom springs, going out to the desert over Labor Day weekend, gonna get this latest round of mods done by then.

.76kg fork springs and an 18.9kg spring for the rear Ohlins. I'll take out the 15w fork oil and swap over to ATF.

It's been something I can ride as soft as it is, but if I want to pick up the pace it's too porpoise like.

We had originally planned to use this bike for our Death Valley trip and push it out the door, but I've come to really like this bike and it fills a good two-up niche in the stable...I'd really like to have a new Stelvio, but this is working for now.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #437
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Last episode we had dropped a cylinder and rode home 100 miles on one lung.

Old coil:

New high output Dyna coil, runs great again!! :

Changing from a 2.89 FD to a 3.20 FD:

New rear spring, ended up with an 18.2 kg. I'm having a hard time finding a spanner wrench that fits the Ohlins collars, gonna have to modify one I got at Cycle Gear so I can cinch down the preload:

Just to remind me that it's a BMW the shock bolt broke off in the swingarm..."they all do that".

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #438
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Those little things are a pisser. Especially on the model you have where you have to drill out the bolt through the other side. but the can help you drill straight if you have a long enough drill bit.

Still love your build and the bike. Thanks for all of your help and input on my build.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #439
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Labor Day Desert Ride

Hay Rob:

Check out all the washouts in Death Valley before heading to the desert. You didn't mention which desert you will be heading to.

You got some good intel for all of us last year about the Goler Wash washout. DV, very recently, got some major down pours and just about all the roads are washed out or impassable. Can't figure out exactly where all these washouts are but some are on paved roads.

We probably need to start a new thread with some updates on road conditions in the desert.

We need to go on a ride together one of these days on these Beemer GS's. Our Bumble Bees are running great and we are doing lots of riding in our local mountains.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #440
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Hay Rob:

Check out all the washouts in Death Valley before heading to the desert. You didn't mention which desert you will be heading to.

You got some good intel for all of us last year about the Goler Wash washout. DV, very recently, got some major down pours and just about all the roads are washed out or impassable. Can't figure out exactly where all these washouts are but some are on paved roads.

We probably need to start a new thread with some updates on road conditions in the desert.

We need to go on a ride together one of these days on these Beemer GS's. Our Bumble Bees are running great and we are doing lots of riding in our local mountains.

Yup, the North Pass got hammered pretty good.

If you've never ridden this road it's a little hard to imagine where the road is supposed to be:

Anyways...got the bike all back together and running good with the new coil.

Had to modify a heli-coil kit to repair the swingarm threads, just went super slow and didn't break in drill bits in the thing...that would have really been a nightmare. Took about 5 hours total to carefully repair.

The rest of the current mods are pretty mundane, no pictures.

Swapped a final drive from an 850R onto her, went from a 2.89 gear to a 3.20. Don't even have to feather the clutch to come up my driveway. I rarely used 6th gear with the stock FD as it felt like it was lugging, should be about perfect now.

Rear spring is now an 18.2 and the front springs are upgraded to a .76, feels good around town. Hard to tell until I hit some sweet jumps.

Back to wrenchin'...

Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #441
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,076
uh, what is that, and why are there BFG T/A KO's on it?
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #442
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,454
EdZilla?

Nice pics of trail conditions and shock mount repair!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #443
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
uh, what is that, and why are there BFG T/A KO's on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
EdZilla?

One of the rarest Edsels ever built, 1958 Bermuda 9 passenger wagon.

The front suspension was junk, even if I poured $1000 into the front suspension alone it wouldn't have been safe. Just too rusty. The car should have been junked/smashed/crushed, it's that bad, but I like it and I'm gonna save it in a Mexican 1,000 sort of resto-mod buildup.

I'm posting a few build pictures over at www.panamintvalley.com , but you have to be signed in to see pictures there.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #444
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,076
That's even cooler than the GS.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #445
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
That's even cooler than the GS.
Maybe. Rob does some pretty cool stuff.

I want to see that wagon sliding around a corner on a dirt road with a big plume of dust behind it.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #446
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,582
I'd drop that body on a 4WD truck frame.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #447
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yup, the North Pass got hammered pretty good.

I knew you would have some great information and pics on the washouts. I started a new thread for DV road conditions so we can all know the conditions as things change. Hope you don't mind if I use your washout pics? I couldn't figure out how to get them off the DV facebook site.

Here is a link to the new thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post22117575

Thanks Rob. The wagon project is lookin' good already.

2on2off screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 05:20 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #448
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
All of the So Cal deserts are getting hammered with thunderstorms and flash floods all this week. I am listening to massive lightning and thunder right now as I type this. It is maybe 10 miles away. I hope it heads this way..
I love a good storm once in a while.

Anyone heading to any desert anytime soon in So Cal {aside from killer heat} should really check conditions. I have been getting at least 2 EAS warnings everyday for 5 days now.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #449
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I was thinking gasser wagon when I saw that front end- sweet ride. Have you thought about a mounted spare coil on the bike? Setup for plug and play for either cyl would be a sweet CYA move. Did the same on my old rock crawler with coils, fuel pumps and ignition modules.
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #450
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuzz View Post
I was thinking gasser wagon when I saw that front end- sweet ride. Have you thought about a mounted spare coil on the bike? Setup for plug and play for either cyl would be a sweet CYA move. Did the same on my old rock crawler with coils, fuel pumps and ignition modules.

Good idea!! It was a stock Sportster coil and those aren't reliable on a stock Sportster, but they're only $14. The Dyna high output coil is supposed to be pretty reliable, might get a stock Harley coil for a spare though.

Took it out over the weekend. Love the new suspension, need to dial in a little more pre-load on the back, front is perfect and planted, bottomed out the back a couple of times.