ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #31
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
DRTBYK,

Reposting my question. Posted in wrong thread. Sorry.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=127

Thanks.

Jon
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #32
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Routing in BaseCamp v4.2.x

Several folks have asked about routing in BaseCamp. Well, it's not your old MapSource any more. BaseCamp offers many iterations of the single MapSource routing algorithm. In fact the new BaseCamp is using the same routing algorithm as the current GPS units are using.

It is important that you understand BaseCamps Routing Activity profiles and how they effect Along-road routing calculations. Then there are the variabilities related to how you can modify the Activity.

Mac-BC:

Win-BC:

Also, keep in mind that these "activities" are really PROFILES in BaseCamp. They record/store how BaseCamp is configured so switching between Activities can change the Map Product displayed in BaseCamp as well as any of the other settings.

I find that setting the Motorcycle Activity to the variables seen in the Mac-BC screenshot above gives me the same routing as I was use to with MapSource and my older GPS units (example below).

If I want to use smaller (type 3) roads I created a custom Activity based upon Motorcycling:

Here is a complex (multipoint) route I created using the above "Moto-Backroads" settings. It has nine points (including the Start/End). I created it using my Custom Profile in BaseCamp and then made a duplicate of it and changed the duplicate to Direct Routing. Now I transferred both to the Montana. I transfer Direct routes to the Montana if I think I might need to edit them on the unit - otherwise I just send the Along-road route.

Here are the screen shots of the two routes:

BaseCamp:

Here is the Direct Route:

Here is the Direct Route calculated using my custom routing profile on the Montana which I have configured to be the same as my custom profile in BaseCamp:

Hope this helps a bit.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Dan, your observations of how routing activities work is appreciated. Equally interesting (to me) was the small differences shown in your post for the user interface panels in the Windows BC and Mac BC products. Examples include Edit->Options (Win BC) versus Preferences (Win Mac), an Activity Profile tab with two tabs for General and Routing (Win BC) versus the General and Routing "tabs" being separate (Mac BC), to the subtle differences in the way Road Type Avoidances and Feature Type Avoidances are presented (sequences). I know there are more significant functional and workflow differences between the two products.

Hopefully the Garmin BaseCamp development team will start working on making the Win BC and Mac BC products more closely align. Providing this consistency between the two products would make it easier to document/explain, for end users, how to use the programs. I would think some of these user interface items should be relatively easy to fix (i.e, not require significant coding changes). I guess that I should send another suggestion to the BaseCamp development team (like they do not have enough on their plate).
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #34
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
BaseCamp v4.2.1

Great post, Dan. I wish I could have gotten that chunk of wisdom a few days ago! It would have significantly reduced my learning curve.

I've a question for you: When I did a route in Mapsource, it would post the mileage and travel time in the user tabs:

Is there a way to get this besides right clicking on the route and pulling up Properties?

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #35
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Dan, your observations of how routing activities work is appreciated. Equally interesting (to me) was the small differences shown in your post for the user interface panels in the Windows BC and Mac BC products. Examples include Edit->Options (Win BC) versus Preferences (Win Mac), an Activity Profile tab with two tabs for General and Routing (Win BC) versus the General and Routing "tabs" being separate (Mac BC), to the subtle differences in the way Road Type Avoidances and Feature Type Avoidances are presented (sequences). I know there are more significant functional and workflow differences between the two products.

Hopefully the Garmin BaseCamp development team will start working on making the Win BC and Mac BC products more closely align. Providing this consistency between the two products would make it easier to document/explain, for end users, how to use the programs. I would think some of these user interface items should be relatively easy to fix (i.e, not require significant coding changes). I guess that I should send another suggestion to the BaseCamp development team (like they do not have enough on their plate).
Thanks Bill. I must admit I am Mac biassed. Working with both Windows and Mac, there is a "simplicity" to the Mac-BC interface once you have acquainted yourself with the features. If there are going to be UI/workflow changes I cast my vote for the Mac implementation.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #36
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
DRTBYK,

I experienced the same issue in BC if I use a direct route to create my route for an upcoming ride. I am trying to understand your statement of using custom profile that translated your direct route to an actual true route.

How do I get BC to translate a direct route that does not follow the roads to your end product?

Sorry, this maybe off topic and more of a BC question.

Thanks.

Jon
Jon,

In BaseCamp you can take the Direct Route you imported (received from someone) and edit it so as to make it a "mixed-route". That is, a route that has segments that are routed along-roads and segments that are Direct (not on mapped roads).

To do this first you must make sure that any points in the route that "should be" on roads are truly "on roads". If any need to be moved, move them. Once you have done the above, then select the route in the List and open the properties for that route. Select the first point that is going to be an "on road" segment and change that point to the Driving activity. Continue to do this until you come to the first point that is the Direct route segment. Set that points Activity to Direct. Continue to set each point after this to Direct until you reach the next "on road" segment point. Repeat the above process until you have reached the end. Now recalculate the route. The result should be a "Mixed Travel" route. As long as your GPS supports "not recalculating imported routes" you can transfer the route and it will be just as you had it in BC.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #37
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Great post, Dan. I wish I could have gotten that chunk of wisdom a few days ago! It would have significantly reduced my learning curve.

I've a question for you: When I did a route in Mapsource, it would post the mileage and travel time in the user tabs:

Is there a way to get this besides right clicking on the route and pulling up Properties?

Mike
Since you're using the Windows-BC there are three ways to see that info:
  1. Right-click on the Route and select "Open" or double-click on the route, then select Route Direction - the info is at the top of the list.
  2. Use Trip Planner.
  3. Swap the Data-Map panes and then filter the data view to Route (see below).

Example - Swapping Data-Map views:

If you were using Mac-BC, you would only need to select the route and the info would be displayed on the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #38
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
BaseCamp v4.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Since you're using the Windows-BC there are three ways to see that info:
  1. Right-click on the Route and select "Open" or double-click on the route, then select Route Direction - the info is at the top of the list.
  2. Use Trip Planner.
  3. Swap the Data-Map panes and then filter the data view to Route (see below).
Example - Swapping Data-Map views:

If you were using Mac-BC, you would only need to select the route and the info would be displayed on the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen.
You're a scholar and gentleman, sir. Many thanks for the fast/accurate reply!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #39
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Thanks Bill. I must admit I am Mac biassed. Working with both Windows and Mac, there is a "simplicity" to the Mac-BC interface once you have acquainted yourself with the features. If there are going to be UI/workflow changes I cast my vote for the Mac implementation.
I think most people that have to work with both OS's are Mac biased. I was a late comer to Macs but it didn't take long for me to embrace them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #40
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Just an update... The Mac version of 4.2.1 did finally download successfully for me late last night. (For those who were having trouble, give it another try.)
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #41
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,110
Changing track names Windows BC

In lists that share tracks:

Is there a way to change the name of a track in one list without the name automatically changing as well in every list that contains that same track?

I've tried moving the lists to separate folders under My Collection, but I still can't change the name of a track in one list without the name automatically changing in list that contains that track.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post

Is there a way to change the name of a track in one list without the name automatically changing as well in every list that contains that same track?

I've tried moving the lists to separate folders under My Collection, but I still can't change the name of a track in one list without the name automatically changing in list that contains that track.
You can duplicate the track and then the duplicate to whatever list you want to add it. Afterwards, you can rename it.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
You can duplicate the track and then the duplicate to whatever list you want to add it. Afterwards, you can rename it.
Keep in mind that once you create a Duplicate of any data the two objects are no longer the same - so making any changes to one will not effect the other.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #44
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,110
"... so making any changes to one will not effect the other."

That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve ... to be able to make changes to a track without the same change occurring in every list where that track exists.

Thanks, guys. I'll give duplicating a try.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote