Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
Question 276c Antenna connect issue

My older 276c was having issues picking up satelites with the stock antenna that is original to the GPS.

I picked up a Glisson external that, when it is working, picks up 12+ satelites where the stock antenna at best did 4-5

To get either to work, I have to repossion the antena (or cable), wait to see if any satelites are found and possibly move it again if none are found (which is normal and I have to try 4-5 positionings).

I'd have to conclude that something on the GPS side is the issue here.

Any words of wisdom about adressing this type of fault?

Sadly I had been planning on send in my 276c to Garmin for a refresh, and see I waited a bit too long... they don't reman these anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,865
Have you ever replaced the internal battery that powers the memory? That stores info on satellites. If the battery goes bad, it takes forever for the unit to power up, find satellites, etc.

Doesn't sound like the classic bad battery issue, but you never know.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Thanks for the reply... I have my 276 hardwired into my bike and it never is off the battery for more than say hours.

Even unplugged it fire up pretty fast.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Thanks for the reply... I have my 276 hardwired into my bike and it never is off the battery for more than say hours.

Even unplugged it fire up pretty fast.
The normal operating battery has nothing to do with the "internal" battery that remembers the date/time sat info.

Even if the GPS stays plugged in and the operating battery good, if the internal battery is bad, when you shut off the GPS for extended periods of time (days to weeks), it forgets all the sat info and has to basically "cold boot" and reinitialize every time.

It's easy to check and see if the date/time when you boot it up is way off. Then you know you have a dead internal battery.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The normal operating battery has nothing to do with the "internal" battery that remembers the date/time sat info.

Even if the GPS stays plugged in and the operating battery good, if the internal battery is bad, when you shut off the GPS for extended periods of time (days to weeks), it forgets all the sat info and has to basically "cold boot" and reinitialize every time.

It's easy to check and see if the date/time when you boot it up is way off. Then you know you have a dead internal battery.
I get it now, and yes the clock has been way wrong in the recent past when starting up....

Off to google internal battery replacement. I'll update once I get this done and test.

Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Old 07-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Internal battery replacement

There is a thread around here that shows you step by step how to replace the internal battery on a 276c.

I think Big Dog put it up, but could be wrong.

Oh, and just a note - you might not want to disconnect the screen to make it easier to work with. The tutorial doesn't talk about this, but if you do you could have big problems.... don't ask me how I know!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
There is a thread around here that shows you step by step how to replace the internal battery on a 276c.

I think Big Dog put it up, but could be wrong.

Oh, and just a note - you might not want to disconnect the screen to make it easier to work with. The tutorial doesn't talk about this, but if you do you could have big problems.... don't ask me how I know!
Thanks!

I have the battery on order, and replaced one on my old 176C years ago!

Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Well, the GPS clock showed the (very) wrong time again today.. good thing I have a new internal battery headed my way

Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
My older 276c was having issues picking up satelites with the stock antenna that is original to the GPS.

I picked up a Glisson external that, when it is working, picks up 12+ satelites where the stock antenna at best did 4-5

To get either to work, I have to repossion the antena (or cable), wait to see if any satelites are found and possibly move it again if none are found (which is normal and I have to try 4-5 positionings).

I'd have to conclude that something on the GPS side is the issue here.

Any words of wisdom about adressing this type of fault?

Sadly I had been planning on send in my 276c to Garmin for a refresh, and see I waited a bit too long... they don't reman these anymore
I experienced the same/similar thing. I had tried to mount the external antenna on my handlebars then on a bracket I made and found that it wouldn't lock on a signal. I found that if I removed the antenna from the bike it worked flawlessly. I now mount the antenna on the top of my front fender and it works great.

My theory is that the Glisson Antenna grounds out or something similar and stops it from locking on the signal.

I didn't know they won't refurb the 276 anymore. Majorly bummed about that one........
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Update:

So I replaced the internal battery which helped, but I still have an issue and am certain that my antenna is not making a proper connection with the GPS unit.

If I move the antenna connector around I can hit a "sweet spot" and will get 7+ satellites right away... ride some more an they drop.

Initially I bent both the external and internal tabs on the GPS unit to tighten up the connection and that worked for one ride... now the problem is back again today.

Has anyone replaced in the GPS unit antenna connection? Does anyone know of any companies repairing/reman'ing 276c's?

Quote:
Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,865
There is a thread in here somewhere about a company that provides some GPS repairs. Don't know if the antenna connection is one of them.

Garmin doesn't sell the parts, but the antenna connector is a standard connector. Looking at Digikey, etc. might give you a source for a similar one.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #12
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
On one of my KTM's I'm using a Glisson with the 276C. At one time I was also thinking the antenna connector on the 276 was bad.

Make sure the antenna connector adapter on the Giisson wire lead is tight. At first it was only hand tight and had proublems, when I use two wrenches to do so. Bingo, now no problems.

Hope this helps.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
On one of my KTM's I'm using a Glisson with the 276C. At one time I was also thinking the antenna connector on the 276 was bad.

Make sure the antenna connector adapter on the Giisson wire lead is tight. At first it was only hand tight and had proublems, when I use two wrenches to do so. Bingo, now no problems.

Hope this helps.
I'll take a look tonight, thanks!

Quote:
Old 05-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 687
I had the same problem with an older Gilsson antennae and Garmin 276C
It was either on their website or I emailed them about it??? The center wire on the Gilsson BNC connecter was slightly smaller than the Garmin hence the intermittent connections. This was a few years ago. I've since sold the 276C. At the time the 276C was the only BNC model they didn't recommend it for. It worked fine on the older 176
Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
I had the same problem with an older Gilsson antennae and Garmin 276C
It was either on their website or I emailed them about it??? The center wire on the Gilsson BNC connecter was slightly smaller than the Garmin hence the intermittent connections. This was a few years ago. I've since sold the 276C. At the time the 276C was the only BNC model they didn't recommend it for. It worked fine on the older 176
I had a Glisson before the one I have now that worked great for years... I will be shimming the internal connection point for the Gisson wire connection to see what that does.

Quote: