Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #1561
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I just can not get rid of the calf ridge.
The calf ridge just means that the hammock is stretched too tight. Just keep loosening it, little by little, till it finally goes away, and set it there in the future.
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1562
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
The calf ridge just means that the hammock is stretched too tight. Just keep loosening it, little by little, till it finally goes away, and set it there in the future.

I've tried and tried and I can't reach any higher to get enough sag to keep my ass off the ground

Bought a bridge and really digg'n it And got in on the Woot deal and my 11'6" came today, gotta try it out.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #1563
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,185
Quote:
I've tried and tried and I can't reach any higher to get enough sag to keep my ass off the ground

Bought a bridge and really digg'n it And got in on the Woot deal and my 11'6" came today, gotta try it out.
That's what a structural ridgeline is for. Instead of reaching higher to hang your straps, you just shorten the ridgeline.....

... But a bridge hammock is a good way to solve it as well.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #1564
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
That's what a structural ridgeline is for. Instead of reaching higher to hang your straps, you just shorten the ridgeline.....

... But a bridge hammock is a good way to solve it as well.

Yes I know but at 6'3" in a 10' hammock there ain't much movement before you become a banana..................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1565
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Yes I know but at 6'3" in a 10' hammock there ain't much movement before you become a banana..................
I'm only 5'11" and find an 11' hammock more comfortable.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #1566
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
This one ? Opinions?

Hi all,

Having read this thread with interest I bought a cheapy hammock and slept out this weekend at a local campsite.

Just used an old waterproof poncho as a tarp. No rain expected.

Found it really comfortable so Id like to invest in a type that is completely encloseable etc. no need for mosquito net etc here in th UK. More trouble with Poxy rain.

I found this one on eBay and like the look of it. I intend to use with a large tarp for more rain protection. I have a modular sleeping bag which I intend to use in the hammock so I don't need any sleeping pads or cushioning.. I know hammocks are very individual things to get but I'd just like your opinions on this.

http://bit.ly/1aQeJVc

thanks

SP
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #1567
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,768
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...48705608,d.dmg
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1568
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Ah.

Ah.......I see a problem there...... I think the youtube guy may be right about the tree tie straps running the water into the hammock. I wonder if I put a carabiner ring on with end of the hammock and then ie the straps to that and then onto the tree. Also use a fly tarp? Like the idea of the fully enclosed and liveable space ( so to speak) for reading. Watching movies etc. anyone know of a similar alternative maybe. Need to be careful of the shipping costs from the states thou. Got really stung on the Kermit chair. Nearly as much as the chair!!

http://youtu.be/QXvLAdullOQ

Thanks

SP
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #1569
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSBIKER View Post
Ah.......I see a problem there...... I think the youtube guy may be right about the tree tie straps running the water into the hammock. I wonder if I put a carabiner ring on with end of the hammock and then ie the straps to that and then onto the tree. Also use a fly tarp? Like the idea of the fully enclosed and liveable space ( so to speak) for reading. Watching movies etc. anyone know of a similar alternative maybe. Need to be careful of the shipping costs from the states thou. Got really stung on the Kermit chair. Nearly as much as the chair!!

Thanks

SP
Pretty sure there s a dealer in the UK who sells Warbonnet hammocks. A blackbird or Ridge runner is fully enclosed with netting, and I believe the Blackbird xlc and the ridge runner have a sock with will enclose the hammock for privacy. Still need a separate tarp for the weather though.

link
Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1570
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:

Thanks

SP

Try
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

or
http://www.dream-hammock.com/DangerBird.html

or
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/hammocks-accessories/

and for as much information as you can get
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #1571
jmdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I've had a Warbonnet Blackbird since early 2010. With some back issues, it has allowed me to go camping again without the hassle of air mattresses. Even with sleeping gear, tarp and underquilt, it is lighter than many tents with sleeping bag and foam or air mattress. I probably use it between 30 and 40 nights a year between weekends and longer trips of up to a week.

My gear and I stay dry and I can rig my tarp to act as a leanto type shelter giving me plenty of room for gear.
jmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #1572
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Like the idea of the fully enclosed and liveable space ( so to speak) for reading. Watching movies etc. anyone know of a similar alternative maybe. Need to be careful of the shipping costs from the states thou. Got really stung on the Kermit chair. Nearly as much as the chair!!
Try UKhammocks, they are the UK source for Warbonnet etc.

I'd suggest you start with something inexpensive to see if hanging works for you. With the right full sized tarp you will have dry and comfortable camp.

Me? I'd like the WBBB XLC and a Superfly tarp...already have the Hammock Gear top and bottom quilts.

Law Dawg (ret) screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 02:56 PM
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #1573
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Some pic's of my Clark:

I replaced the suspension with REI strap and carbineer:

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #1574
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
Some pic's of my Clark:

I replaced the suspension with REI strap and carbineer:
So even with the rain cover you still need an under quilt? I just got a Lawson, which is also a bridge hammock. Wouldn't the form fitting rain cover trap the heat negating the need for an UQ? I'm new and trying to decide if just a pad will suffice or I'm going need to get a UQ.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #1575
jmdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
A pad can work fine down into the 30's or below. Depending on your size you might want to check out the wing mod on Hammock forums. Generally most guys need a little extra width at the shoulders. The thing that many people don't realize is that you want a pad or something when the temp is below 70 or so.

I have used ensulite pads, shooting mats, wool blankets, and underquilts for bottom insulation.

The only time that I use the waterproof storm shield is in high wind and cold situations and pounding rain. In the wind it makes a great windbreaker and with a good underquilt will let you stay comfortable into the teens. In pounding rains, the wind can blow the rain under the tarp with enough force for it to bounce into the bottom of the hammock.
jmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote