She even took a picture for us.

Next up: Elephant Hill.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,852
Elephant Hill

It seemed like the area everyone was worried about Elephant Hill. If you're not familiar with it, it's a formidable obstacle just past the Needles parking area, a set of switch backs that take you over a large rock outcropping. The jeep trail has been tore up over the years so now it's a series of ledges, loose rocks, ruts and drop-offs, just what we like right?

The climb was not without some carnage. Here's a sidecover from a KLX that didn't fare too well.

Simple JB weld fix, the bike was back on the trail in a couple of hours
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
riddare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
canyon land ride

I will have to say I think this is one of the best ride vids. ever posted. Thanks and I enjoyed it. Allan
riddare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Elephant Hill

Enjoy
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Nice Job Chris!

Dion and that poor KLR I wonder at what point he was cussing Magoo for volunteering him..... He did great, the Needles portion of Canyonlands is not only some of the best scenery but riding that makes you work for it.

That was a fun time though
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,059
Rock-Ledges-Sand

My vid...got some new footage to post too.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,239
Lots of great info in this thread! Thanks for sharing. Great vids!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
My vid...got some new footage to post too.
Thanks for postin that Geo. Good job on the vid.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Flint Trail

Here's another:

Flint Trail

Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Once we all got passed Elephant Hill the route took us south towards Ruin Park & Beef Basin. It's a very scenic area but you'll work for the views. Not what I'd call big bike friendly. Bring plenty of water and a friend if you plan on riding this area

Ran into some traffic on the way.

Elephant hill is passable on a larger bike but the real obsticle is Bobby's Hole.

It's a moderately steep hill covered by loose rocks of all sizes. The jeeps tend to churn up this section to the point that it's soft sand and rocks, very loose and tough to follow a line up. The direction we took has you riding up the hill. The pictures don't begin to do this section justice.

Ben made it look easy

This is how the rest of us (who chose to ride up) made it.

Once we passed Bobby's Hill the group split up, half camped out in Ruin park. Hellsickle, Tha Rick Greybeard and Grizgirl met up with the gang who camped that night.

Ruin Park Campsite

The rest of us headed past Lands End and over the Abajo Mtns for a late night run into Blanding where we conned the only resturant in town into staying open. The ride through the Abajos was my favorite of the trip, it's a fast twisty dirt road through the alpine that follows along the western side of the Abajo range. Just off to the west is the Dark Canyon Wilderness area. The view into the DC drainage is very spectacular and worth this ride just to see it.

By this time the sun was starting to go down and we had about 50 miles to Blanding so we turned it up a notch and headed toward town. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures or video of this section, I was too busy enjoying the ride. We ended up riding the last 30 miles in the dark but the hot showers and soft beds were worth it

Elevation Profile

Total mi. for day 1: 157

RideFreak screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 09:25 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Lockhart Basin

Here's a new vid: Lockhart Basin

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Day 2

Day 2's destination was a camp site near the base Temple Mountain in the San Rafael Swell, 180 miles away. Group 1, having spent the night in Ruin Park still had to ride over the Abajo Mountains to pick up Woodenshoe road.
Lands End

The chili eaters, having ridden on into Blanding the night before only had to ride the dirt connector west of Blanding out to the start of Woodenshoe, about 25mi.

Rolling out of the hotel that morning.

If you know where to look Woodenshoe passes some really scenic areas; Arch Canyon, Bears Ears Pass, Natural Bridges National Monument, Dark Canyon Wilderness, Jacob’s Chair and Cataract Canyon. The road eventually comes out at the entrance to Hite Marina, very convenient.

Dark Canyon Drainage

Woodenshoe is a great ride, semi graded dirt, easy to keep a good pace. Following a rain, all bets are off. We fueled up and got a drink at Hite.

Hite

Here's the Narrows, it's where the Colorado river dumps into Lake Powell. This pic was taken in May, normally a time of high volume, this year it's the lowest it's been since they first filled the lake. The boat ramps at Hite end 100s of feet from the water

Another picture from a wetter year.

The Narrows looking north toward Cataract Canyon.

While the rest of us were pounding dirt, Hellsickle and crew decided to loop down to Bullfrog Marina and across Lake Powell. They ran into a minor obsticle, with water levels at historical lows, the ferry can't dock properly.

Ride from Blanding out through Woodenshoe Road, past Hite Marina and through the Maze district of Canyonlands National Park. This video includes the Flint Trail Switchbacks.

Enjoy

The trail pics up just past the Colorado River bridge.

The first 40 miles weaves in between the buttes and crossing the junction to the Dollhouse and Sunset Pass trails.

The sand wanted to reach out and grab ya if you weren't carefull.

We eventually came to the Red Cliffs. The trail gets a little rocky as it climbs the face.

The road follows the cliff line for awhile before heading to the top by way of the Flint Trail switchbacks.

Hans Flat Ranger station.

From that point is a long dusty ride (46mi) across the mesa to Hwy 95.

RideFreak screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 11:22 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
WOW! Black Bear is nothing compared to Elephant Hill.Makes me wish I hadn't sold my XRR
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs

bomose screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 06:53 PM
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Nice vids Cris! My favorite was the wide open stretches before Hite Marina where one cold really open it up.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #30
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Great post Chris. Love your vids and pics.

Here are some more shots of Bobby's Hole.

ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote