Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #16
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
I have had several very nice backpacking-type tents...

...and still own a MSR Velo, but for the last six years have slept in my hammock whenever physically possible.

And during those years I've camped on average 3-4 nights a month, including a 45-day, 650-mile canoe trip last year.

Setting up the hammock in a driving rain is far better than any tent I've seen. I simply tie off my hex-shaped fly to two trees, stake out the sides, then I have a shelter under which to hang the still dry hammock out of the weather.

If I need to get up and go out for whatever, I've got a dry spot to put my shoes, etc. and other gear. There's no crawling into and out of the hammock as with a tent... simply stand up in my shoes and walk. In fact, the only time I have to stoop over at all is to drive in the stakes when setting up. No sleeping on the wet, soggy ground. And, no waiting for hours for it to dry in the morning after a rain or heavy dew, since it's already hanging in the air.

I can usually set up or take down the hammock in less than three minutes. It packs small, requires no tent poles and is a fraction of the weight of the lightest of tents. And my hammock sleeps better than any bed I've ever tried. Worlds ahead of my expensive Exped Downmat on the floor of a tent. What's not to love?

IMO, for motorcycle camping there is nothing better than a hammock (and I've tried many other systems over the years). After a few times in the hammock, I couldn't believe I'd suffered with all the hassles of tents so many years.

My 2¢

Last fall:
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Both tents that I have can be set up protecting from the rain, using just the rain fly and the floor saver. The REI Hoodoo3 and the Redverz Expedition II....

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
KenbNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
this looks promising

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-562-flash-2.aspx

Dry set-up - Integration of the rainfly means your tent is protected during set up, rather than having the inner body get soaked before you can attach a separate flysheet.
KenbNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Married Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I just replaced my rei half dome with the rei half dome plus. My set-up in the rain is to set up the poles and stretch the rain fly over the frame. Next is the footprint to improve the stability and then I can go under the fly and attach the tent, all nice and dry. This procedure works with any tent that attaches to the poles with clips instead of sleeves. Breakdown is just the reverse. I pack my gear, then drop and roll the tent under the protection of the fly. The fly gets packed wet but it'll dry at the next set- up.
Doug
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
If you're carrying a tarp anyway, an 'inner-first' tent is much less of an issue. Having to carry a tarp (and having the hassle of setting one up) specifically to mitigate against the problem, however, is a bit silly
What......
Carry a 9x12-to 12x12 tarp. It'll take a minute to setup but within 1/2 that time you're undercover and one can mount it high enough that the rear of the bike with luggage can be underneath. You'll then have a dry place to slowly put up your tent, change clothes, drink, then prep and eat dinner while sitting in a chair, being dry during the whole ordeal.

The whole time your buddies will be asking where you got the tarp.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Just get a single wall tent and be done with it. There's a reason that mountaineers prefer them in storms. They go up quick, they're warm, and they're super light.

http://www.backcountry.com/single-wall-tents