User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Trials bike suspension setup...school me

I've been watching a lot of indoor/outdoor competition videos lately, and noticed that most of the pro's have their bikes on the springy/mushy side. Am I correct with this observation? Yet, I would think less compression and faster rebound (this is what I am observing) would absorb too much of the energy the legs/knees are generating to hop the bike around.

Am I thinking on the right track?
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,532
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
If there bikes were set mushy you would see only two inches or so at the rear fender. What those guys have, is incredible timing. Watch Bou, his suspension barely moves ever. And yet he pulls off crazy cool moves!
Biggest thing is you want the front and back to move together. Try pushing down in the center of your seat. (while off and just standing) Does one end not move with the other? You want it fluid movement at both ends.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,179
IMO, the pros are operating at such a higer level than any of us that how they have their bikes set up has little bearing on what we do.

My theory is; just put the anodized master cylinder cover on and some trick colored chain adjusters and ride!

Seriously, most trials bikes are no different than most dirt bikes sold today and they have too soft of springs for anyone over 180-190.
Don't make the common mistake (in all diciplines of bikerdom) of trying to adjust total sag with pre-load. Get with your dealer and get the right springs for your weight or buy a BYOB Beta and it will come that way!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
IMO, the pros are operating at such a higer level than any of us that how they have their bikes set up has little bearing on what we do.

My theory is; just put the anodized master cylinder cover on and some trick colored chain adjusters and ride!

Seriously, most trials bikes are no different than most dirt bikes sold today and they have too soft of springs for anyone over 180-190.
Don't make the common mistake (in all diciplines of bikerdom) of trying to adjust total sag with pre-load. Get with your dealer and get the right springs for your weight or buy a BYOB Beta and it will come that way!
^^^^^^ This^^^^^^

I was always told not to worry about the suspension as a beginner. But I will tell you, it makes a HUGE difference if it is sprung correctly, makes it much better to ride.

I am about 200lbs, so pretty much all bikes are sprung WAY to light for me.

As far as dampening goes? Just ride. Even our local top level guys ride stock suspension.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
^^^^^^ This^^^^^^

I was always told not to worry about the suspension as a beginner. But I will tell you, it makes a HUGE difference if it is sprung correctly, makes it much better to ride.

I am about 200lbs, so pretty much all bikes are sprung WAY to light for me.

As far as dampening goes? Just ride. Even our local top level guys ride stock suspension.
Having the correct spring rate and setting the right sag is a must. I am just wondering how these top level riders set their clickers. I bought my gasgas last year, and I have yet to touch the clickers....the settings work well for me but want to start playing with them to see if hopping the wheels get easier or harder.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,901
Hopping is all about technique and really doesn't have that much to do with suspension setup. Brakes are a different story. If your brakes don't work properly, it's going to be tough to hop.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
val4215
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
OK, so for another noob out here. What are the proper sag settings. (same as any other bike 30mm± 5 mm static, 100mm± 5mm race)?
val4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
about 1/3 of the travel is the typical race sag starting point. Static sag is around 5mm to 10mm depending on linkage slop.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Don't get all obsessed about bike setup.
Spend your time riding, work on timing, using your clutch and brakes together. Ride, ride and then ride some more. Learn what the motorcycle does when you move around on it. Work on balance and multitasking with all of the controls at once. Seat time, or in this case, foot peg time is what matters. Ride circles in your driveway, double blip over a 2x4, learn how to make everything automatic to you.
That is what it takes.
Nodabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Hopping is all about technique and really doesn't have that much to do with suspension setup. Brakes are a different story. If your brakes don't work properly, it's going to be tough to hop.
Yes & no. Of course technique is important, but to say suspension setup doesn't have that much to do with it is leaving half the equation out.

If a rider weighs 159 lbs & gets on a bike set up for a 230 lb rider, how well can he hop? And vice versa. Suspension certainly has a definite effect on hopping.

But I agree with you on brakes. If they don't work properly, you're hosed.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
Don't get all obsessed about bike setup.
Obsessed is one thing, having the bike ride how it is supposed to is another....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Huzband
Team Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Obsessed is one thing, having the bike ride how it is supposed to is another....
This +1.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 695
So, not to hijack, but I am one of those guys outside the "normal" trials rider range, i have gone with stiffer springs in almost every dirt bike I have owned, the rear shock on my gasgas feels too soft, (like I can bottom it in static practice) I have jacked up the preload all that I feel I can, but I have no idea where to even look for stiffer springs. Dont get me wrong it is not a deal breaker, and it is nowhere near the top of my list, I just got a new front tire and have a rear on order. I am having illegal amounts of fun learning trials, but I wonder if it could be better.
PS the GasGas is a 94, so I bet that complicates things a bit.
PPS what I really need is talent, but I can't find anywhere to buy that even online,
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Huzband
Team Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF706 View Post
PPS what I really need is talent, but I can't find anywhere to buy that even online,
Ryan Young sells talent, but only to those who are in the DNA Club.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344