Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #46
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
lame sauce as usual...
Anything that isn't an echo of whatever you say, is "lame." IYO.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #47
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Yet if you never take the risk, how can you claim that it is unsafe for all?
Yeah. How can you KNOW you'll get killed going over Niagara Falls, if you don't ever actually DO it?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #48
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
So you are just stating your opinion.
No. My OPINION, is that a red cycle looks better than a green one.

FACTS are, that various tires are designed with different purposes in mind. A tractor tire won't work well at 80mph. A Michelin won't do so good on your lawn tractor.

And a cycle has different forces than a car; which is why a car tire is blocked off at the bottom, flat, where as a cycle tire has a doughnut profile.

That's not opinion - that's FACT.

And the OPINION of tire engineers interviewed for cycle books (neither the engineers nor the magazines are tire salesmen) is that it's recklessly unsafe - and they say WHY. That takes it out of the realm of "opinion."
Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Christ, why don't you just ride your tires down to the cord? You'd be about as safe and save all kinds of money.

Or, just run a ribbed tractor front tire...never, ever have to change it again.
Because, as I related to before, a reasonable person would not do that as there is quite a bit of evidence to support the notion that riding around on bald tires is a very bad idea and none that a car tire is as unsafe as a bald tire. A ribbed tractor tire on front is just ridiculous and totally lacks merit. (_____________ inflammatory statement removed)
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

bandito2 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 11:02 AM
bandito2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #50
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Sure. Ridiculous is insisting on using safety-related equipment in the manner designed, for the equipment designed.

Really-clever-smarter-than-everyone is saving a few dollars and jury-rigging a TIRE, fer chrissakes, on your ride...because "everyone knows" it "works just as well."

Accident stats related to causes aren't available on free-web searches. I know; I've been looking. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

And I don't need to read ACTUAL grisly accounts to know what my intelligence tells me can happen and is likely to in an accident. And I don't much like accidents; having done a month's stay in hospital thirty years ago when I went down.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure. Ridiculous is insisting on using safety-related equipment in the manner designed, for the equipment designed.

Really-clever-smarter-than-everyone is saving a few dollars and jury-rigging a TIRE, fer chrissakes, on your ride...because "everyone knows" it "works just as well."

Accident stats related to causes aren't available on free-web searches. I know; I've been looking. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

And I don't need to read ACTUAL grisly accounts to know what my intelligence tells me can happen and is likely to in an accident. And I don't much like accidents; having done a month's stay in hospital thirty years ago when I went down.
Ridiculous is suggesting the use of a ribbed tractor tire on a bike. And because it is outside the realm of reasonable.

"Really-clever-smarter-than-everyone" never claimed to be that and is saving MORE than a few dollars on my ride because many informed and experienced riders NOT "everyone" as you sarcastically say do KNOW it first hand that it "works just as well" and even better in some instances.

It may be unfair to say, but there are lots of reports of bike accidents and statistically speaking, the greatest number of them were using standard motorcycle/scooter tires. Accidents are as likely to happen to bike riders regardless of whether they are using a car tire or motorcycle tire and no evidence to even suggest otherwise has been presented and likely because it does not exist. And it likely does not exist because it does not happen, or at least not significantly enough.

I'll venture a guess that when you went down 30 years ago that you were not using a car tire. So your statement regarding that would at best have no meaning in this discussion and at worst would be contradictory to your argument.

You should stop allowing yourself to be knee jerk reactionary and try applying a good dose of logic, not emotion.

And as far as a thing being used in a way that it was not designed or intended to be used but proves to be useful, Aspirin comes to mind as an example. Good for pain and finds beneficial use for cardiac patients and with few negative results. The positives outweigh the negatives by far. And so as it is with a car tire on a bike.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

bandito2 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 11:58 AM
Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,353
It's no use, CaseyJones has no intelligence to participate in a logical debate, nor to understand the scientific way to conduct experiments.

Most, if not all of his 'FACTS' have nothing to do with topic of application of car tire on a 2-wheel vehicle.

It's like telling someone the earth is round, when all they can comprehend is flat; just let those like him stay in the comfort of their beliefs.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #53
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
No. My OPINION, is that a red cycle looks better than a green one.

FACTS are, that various tires are designed with different purposes in mind. A tractor tire won't work well at 80mph. A Michelin won't do so good on your lawn tractor.

And a cycle has different forces than a car; which is why a car tire is blocked off at the bottom, flat, where as a cycle tire has a doughnut profile.

That's not opinion - that's FACT.

And the OPINION of tire engineers interviewed for cycle books (neither the engineers nor the magazines are tire salesmen) is that it's recklessly unsafe - and they say WHY. That takes it out of the realm of "opinion."
Fact is that tires designed with different purposes in mind does not preclude them from being used successfully in other applications. Such as car tires that have already been used successfully on bikes.

True, different forces at work but in spite of the blocked off bottom, car tires still work on bikes. (in a turn, plenty of tread remains in contact with the pavement. lots of videos show this) And a bike tire, which very often gets squared off from wear, behaves much like a car tire at that point anyway.

The tire engineers still are only SAYING (saying does not make it so) that it is unsafe. And doing nothing more than saying is still an expression of opinion. For your edification an opinion is a thought or belief NOT based on ABSOLUTE certainty or positive (first hand) knowledge but on what SEEMS to be true, valid or probable to one's own mind. Facts are absolute, concrete and provable with indisputable evidence. They have not presented fact, just opinion.

About the only thing darksiders do not have yet are the the numbers in writing from unbiased methodical testing reports. (scientific method) And if and when they do that, I am pretty sure they will confirm what darksiders have already known for quite a while now.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
It's no use, CaseyJones has no intelligence to participate in a logical debate, nor to understand the scientific way to conduct experiments.

Most, if not all of his 'FACTS' have nothing to do with topic of application of car tire on a 2-wheel vehicle.

It's like telling someone the earth is round, when all they can comprehend is flat; just let those like him stay in the comfort of their beliefs.

But...But...But, he read it on the internet, so it must be true.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #55
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,497
So if I buy a Burgman, does that mean I can't use Pledge to clean off the bugs?
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #56
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

TheReaper!, I'm sorry for for the temporary takeover of the thread with the darkside discussion. It just kind of grabbed me and ran.

That's a very nice bike you have there and you stole it. I'm keeping an eye out for a good used 400 to take the place of a Reflex and a Silverwing but probably not able to actually get until next year. Still have have your harem of Big Rucks?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #57
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
But...But...But, he read it on the internet, so it must be true.

A good summary of the argument for using tires not designed for the vehicle.

You read about sixteen loud posters who insisted they were right and had lots of profane names for anyone who questioned...so it must be true.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #58
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
So if I buy a Burgman, does that mean I can't use Pledge to clean off the bugs?
If you use Pledge...you (probably) farkle up the finish. What's the downside?

If you WRECK because of your jury-rigged TIRE...what's the downside?

I know what the downside is. Spent a month in the hospital after wiping out...not a tire failure or any motorcycle failure at all. But a wreck is a wreck; and trauma and traction are what they are.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #59
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Fact is that tires designed with different purposes in mind does not preclude them from being used successfully in other applications. Such as car tires that have already been used successfully on bikes.
Okay, then...why doesn't one tire company CLEAN UP by making those CAR TIRES available in motorcycle-rim sizes? Why doesn't any cycle company offer those tires as "long-life" tires as OEM? Jeez...they'd have the market all to themselves.

Unless...there's another reason.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #60
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:

Your inability to use inductive and deductive reasoning; or to perceive the parameters a product is engineered around...suggest what YOU are.

Short-bus material. Actually...a potential future Darwin Award recipient.