Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
Geolander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
c'mon. you're contributing to the pussification of the American male.

get some of this:

and learn ya some of these:

http://www.scouting.org.za/resources...BasicKnots.pdf

when the revolution comes, you'll be ahead of the others.
George Carlin ;)
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #32
Lamontacycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Cam buckles all the way

What's the purpose of expensive elastic systems other than to give an avenue of loostening up? OK..maybe you want you tent poles and sleeping back to feel good while being cinched. If the equipment you are hauling needs elastic, you probably shouldn't be taking it along.

I make my own cam buckles at a cost of about $2.00 each. Of course this old fart uses the 'family' sewing machine more than the spouse! Favorite is a double loop. Buckle is in the middle and you have two separate straps each with a sewn, or if I'm in a hurry, figure 8 loop. The loops can go around frame members, shocks, racks, anything..one has a free end the other has the cam buckle sewn on it. Use these motorcycling, rafting, horsepacking, hauling stuff in the truck and trailer...bombproof....cheap. The buckles last forever..the sun eventually eats any nylon...cut the buckles off...run through the dishwasher..use over...

If you are worried about padding, a pad can be sewn in below the cam buckle or an old piece of inner tube..No need for a fancy covering over the strap..if you are worried about the strap collect grit, just wash them in the sink..
Lamontacycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #33
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
I use H2W straps and cam buckle straps . Use these for other stuff besides motorcycles . 30 or so years and it is still the best system for my purposes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #34
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I've always used this type
http://www.eadoffroad.com/safari-str...uckle-tie-down

Strong enough to use as a tow strap, and can be adjusted to any length.
Also, this is what Triumph uses to hold new bikes down in the crates. Go by your local Triumph dealer and they would probably just give you some.
At the two Triumph dealers I worked at they just got thrown away, unless I took them
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTomb View Post
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...traps-pkg-of-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cAKNoKwKo

"I buy all my Giant Loop gear from the tremendous guys and gal at Atomic-Moto.com ... You should too! 541-550-0969" (unpaid non-celebrity endorsement)

Giant Loop and Atomic-Moto, great companies making and selling quality products with great service. (Moto motto)

These are nothing but over price Voile Ski Straps.. http://www.amazon.com/Voile-Straps-T...ds=voile+strap you can get them in many lengths... more than on that Amazon listing.

+1 on RokStraps however. They just work better than anything else. I have been strapping crap to backpacks, rafts, kayaks, motorcycles etc for decades.. and they just synch down better. Plus the loop ends make them for versatile than straight cam buckle straps. I have boxes cam straps, voile straps, etc. and all I ever reach for is the RokStraps.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
Squarehead
Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer: 51
OK So why not 1" ratchet straps. I can really compress the soft stuff (only soft stuff on top....), and they have never come loose. I will also use a bungee back up on the load.

Always two methods of securing the load. One breaks you do not lose anything

2004 R1150RS, anybody wanna trade for a 1150GS ???
Squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #37
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontacycle View Post
What's the purpose of expensive elastic systems other than to give an avenue of loostening up? OK..maybe you want you tent poles and sleeping back to feel good while being cinched. If the equipment you are hauling needs elastic, you probably shouldn't be taking it along.

Because compressibles compress, and non-compressibles tend to be very difficult to get enough tension on.

Cheap people, or stubborn people will never know the utility of ROK Straps because they won't try them. Instead they insist on any number of $0.50 dealer straps intended for one time uses.

There is no way I can convince others that their system won't work as well, and I won't try.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
Geolander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontacycle View Post

I make my own cam buckles at a cost of about $2.00 each. Of course this old fart uses the 'family' sewing machine more than the spouse! Favorite is a double loop. Buckle is in the middle and you have two separate straps each with a sewn, or if I'm in a hurry, figure 8 loop. The loops can go around frame members, shocks, racks, anything..one has a free end the other has the cam buckle sewn on it. Use these motorcycling, rafting, horsepacking, hauling stuff in the truck and trailer...bombproof....cheap. The buckles last forever..the sun eventually eats any nylon...cut the buckles off...run through the dishwasher..use over...

If you are worried about padding, a pad can be sewn in below the cam buckle or an old piece of inner tube..No need for a fancy covering over the strap..if you are worried about the strap collect grit, just wash them in the sink..
Got any pictures?

Rok stuff sounds pretty sweet, I wanna get my hands on some though. Gotta track some down locally.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #39
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,264
Nrs straps.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #40
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
My cam buckle straps weren't cheap . I lash down thousands of dollars of equipment on rafts among other things . I have had plastic buckles break over the years . I don't bend metal by pulling them too tight .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #41
Geolander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Nrs straps.
Dude, I really dig your signature quote.

Them townsfolk just don't know any better.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,242
This thread is useless without Andy Strapz . Designed & made by a motorcyclist. Fully awesome. I have the piggyback straps & after tens of thousands of miles use I doubt there's anything better for attaching a roll bag/drybag type thing to the tail rack of a motorcycle.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #43
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
So I know bungee cords are dangerous, unreliable, and malfunction frequently.
Every time I see one of these thread, I read how bad and unreliable bungee cords are. I guess I must be doing it wrong. I find them to be strong, extremely versatile, have a good grip, and they are inexpensive. One must choose a good quality bungee. Not all bungees are created equal.

Here are a few examples of some of the oddball stuff I have hauled secured by bungees.

Motor for my XR650L

Hannigan fairing, purchased about 150 miles from home.

Spare tire.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #44
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSpaz View Post
I use something like this too, they don't seem to come loose. I also have rokstraps, and they are pretty good, I just think that these are a bit simpler and meet the need.