User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Oldbutslow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Shoei J-Cruise Helmet:

Hey Guys: Anybody have any experience with the new Shoei J-Cruise helmet? Thanks, BK
Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I have one. Love it. Fits just like my Neotec, but much more open eyeport. Very comfortable. Ventilation is good but not excellent. Visor comes lower than most open face / shielded helmets, which reduces the turbulence and blustery feel on unfaired bikes. The sunshield works great, just like other Shoei helmets. The little spoiler at the bottom of the shield actually helps. The bottom of the shield locks in place with little detents at the bottom corner. Nice.

I've had a J-Wing (the J-cruise's predecessor), and HJC FS-3, and now this. The J-Cruise is easily the best. Pricey, yes, but this is the only open face helmet I've been able to wear on my DR650 (with small windscreen) at 70mph without feeling like I'm in a wind tunnel trying to breathe. Also works great on the RT with the barn door fairing - much cooler in hot weather than a flip-up or full face helmet. I could actually tour with this helmet on any bike.

Chin safety is a personal issue. This one is probably just a couple of clicks lower than most flip-fronts. It's my "grab and go" helmet on the RT now, and even on the DR650 sometimes.

Questions?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Oldbutslow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
After years of full-face helmets, I bought a cheap 3/4 and absolutely love it for tooling around town. In regards of riding, I'm a minimalist when it comes to wind-protection and the size of the bike's screen. As you might notice by my signature, I'm back to basics with a standard SV. That all leads to taking a high-end 3/4 on the road and living with the ventilation, noise, and weather issues that a trip would bring. As you probably know, small irritants become huge issues when your thousands of miles away. My question is if the J-Cruise is up to the task of a trip. Please keep in mind that the SV actually gives me a very serene bubble of air going down the road. Thanks for all of your comments! ,BK
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
pjciii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
i bought the j-cruise while on a road trip from GA to MN and back over memorial day 2013. i just got tired of the pressure from the scorpion 3/4 exo200 on my forehead. while the shoei j-cruise is the most comfortable 3/4 i have ever owned there are still some downsides. 1st the price, there are not enough new technological advances to warrent the price they are asking. this is a 275 to 325 helmet at best. they did not break any new ground with this helmet. 2nd, you still need a pinlock inner shield to keep fogging down. they haven't even been able to coat the shield. so once you buy it you still have to spend more money. 3rd is the helmet flexes strangly when you turn your head like they just cut off the chin guard on a full face and put it on the market. hard the describe but you will know it when you feel it.

bottom line: i love this helmet with those 2 huge drawbacks. good ventilation, no shield buffeting, inner dropdown sun shield, very comfortable lining and its oval head design. i have the shoei Qwest for my full face but the price is right for even the drawbacks of that helmet.
patrick
pjciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
i bought the j-cruise while on a road trip from GA to MN and back over memorial day 2013. i just got tired of the pressure from the scorpion 3/4 exo200[...] in the market. hard the describe but you will know it when you feel it. [...]
patrick
I completely agree with #1 and #2. The shield is huge and well made, but at this price point a pinlock insert should have been included. Stupid to require purchase of a $30 accessory that is included in the $100 more expensive NeoTec flip-front. Also - replacement shields are pricey, but I guess it should be expected for such a complex 3D shield.

I have not noticed #3. I'm sure it's real, but I have not found this to be a problem for myself. Perhaps it's a function of how deep the face shield is with regard to how the 3/4 helmet is constructed? I agree that the helmet feels like a truncated full face helmet with a large, complex locking face shield replacing the chin bar.