Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Question GoPro Hero3 settings/placement ideas...

I know these things are super versatile and you can pretty much do whatever and place wherever you want...

Just wanted to see if anyone has any recommended (video) setting for capturing while riding..

And also, where have YOU put one that was awesome:)
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
mikestevens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
i have mine mounted to the right hand side of my helmet. This allows me to keep shooting what i'm looking at versus a mount on the bike. It's cause no change in buffeting.
mikestevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
I have the GoPro Silver. 960/30/W Works well for me for video. It gives very good quality while maintaining battery life.

If you mount your GoPro on your helmet or body you get less of a sense of curves and bike motion since your head is often compensating for these unconsciously. If you mount it on the bike you will get a better sense of the motion of the bike as it carves corners, etc. I have mounting points on the helmet, handlebars, crash bars (gives more of the ground level effect) and on the passenger grab bars (looking forward or backward). The latter 3 mount points are all Ram mounts. Of the three, the handlebars is easiest to use. You get a little wind screen in the pic but that helps give it some perspective. I can also start and stop the camera manually, thereby saving more battery for recording.

I also carry a length of PVC pipe with a Ram mount on it so I can get shots from unusual perspectives (high/low/pan, etc.).

Be careful not to get so hung up on getting that perfect shot that you end up running yourself off the road.
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 838
Let me start by saying I'm anything but an expert and have not mastered whatsoever post editing/processing. I have a H2 and H3 Black. To my eyes you need to shoot at 60fps or motion looks jerky. On the H3 I use 1080/60. Here's an article I've read several times (still trying to understand).

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifflebox View Post
Be careful not to get so hung up on getting that perfect shot that you end up running yourself off the road.
Most importantly!!

I just did my first ride with it yesterday, and I slapped it right on top of the tank (gotta start somewhere!) using one of the adhesive mounts and facing forward. Also, left all of the default settings "as is" - I'll start messing with those for the next ride. Used the WiFi app to see the camera's view through my phone (AWESOME feature) and make sure I was getting a decent angle.

Tank is probably not the best spot (got a lot of vibration) but I can't wait to try other things. Pretty awesome little cameras; no wonder I see these things on everything from bikes to bathtubs.

Helmet mount probably offers great stability (going to do this next), but I DO like the idea of being mounted to the bike and getting a feel for the bike's motion in corners...
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
heres views I was trying out on the pelican, I was having trouble with the go pro battery so I wasnt able to get any rear facing shots or handle bar shots. I need to get out and play with it a little more.

Lots of vibes on the top box but the video really wasnt too ugly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDWY...OGa1sBBza0K7Zg
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Friction275
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I like the top of the helmet mount for a few reasons:

1) It captures the gauges when I'm looking forward so I can see how fast I was actually going since the fisheye lens makes everything look faster than it really was. I also like to record the scenery when I look at something to the sides.

2) I can turn the camera around and record the other bikes and faces behind me if we are riding in a pack.

The only down side to mounting on top of the head is the added neck torque the camera adds on long days even if it's not in the wind.

I also mount a handlebar adapter to the upper engine guards (R1200GS) because I like the perspective of the front beak leaning into turns and the front suspension flexing while I ride. If you look at the left side of my bike you can see the alternate mount on the upper engine guard.

When you start to play with the different modes don't forget about the time lapse picture mode. You can set the camera to take a still image every .5 seconds up to a minute depending on the camera. I use that to save space on longer rides or when I am setting the camera up to take a group picture that I'm in. It's also a cool way to setup a camera for a "survivor man" style riding away picture series.
Friction275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Nice shot. I've been playing with this thing a ton and all the different mounting ideas are really fun to mess with. So far I find myself favoring the 1080x30 and 720x60 (little smoother, less vibrations it seems) settings. The crazy part is the editing AFTER you're done! Any software suggestion? I downloaded the Sony Movie Studio demo version just to see what it's all about, but just curious about what is working for everyone else (as far as editing the footage you took).
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post
Nice shot. I've been playing with this thing a ton and all the different mounting ideas are really fun to mess with. So far I find myself favoring the 1080x30 and 720x60 (little smoother, less vibrations it seems) settings. The crazy part is the editing AFTER you're done! Any software suggestion? I downloaded the Sony Movie Studio demo version just to see what it's all about, but just curious about what is working for everyone else (as far as editing the footage you took).
iMovie (Macintosh). Does image stabilization, editing, transitions, audio, etc., etc. I think Adobe Premiere is roughly an equivalent for the PC but have no experience with it.

Downloading video is faster if you take the micro SD card out of the camera and upload it through a card reader or a SD port on your computer (adapter needed).

Amazon is offering Sandisk 64 GB Class 10 Micro SD cards for $50.47.

rifflebox screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 06:36 AM
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 418
[QUOTE=rifflebox;21839672]iMovie (Macintosh). Does image stabilization, editing, transitions, audio, etc., etc. I think Adobe Premiere is roughly an equivalent for the PC but have no experience with it.QUOTE]

Comparing iMovie to Premier is like a comparing a rock to a Ferrari. Premier is exponentially more powerful. It also has a huge learning curve. For basic stuff and 90% of what any of us need to do, iMovie is perfect. Once you start shooting HD stuff all of the time and want to adjust every little aspect of you movie to produce a truly "production" level peice, then I would look at getting signed up for the adobe cloud access. Thats what I have and it allows me to have premier, after effects, photoshop and all there other software I could ever want for $20 something dollars a month.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I have a GP2 (essentially the same as the GP3). While I love the video quality of the GoPro, I hated having the TinkyWinky thing on the top of my helmet dragging my head back at freeway speeds, while relying on the bluetooth remote to activate it sometimes. When it worked and didn't time out. I have since switched to a Contour Roam2 ($200) on the top of the helmet and use the GoPro with suction cup / remote for the "bike shots". The Contour is much lower profile and can be switched on/off in 1 second with a flip of a switch. With gloves. Without the need for an LCD display or bluetooth.

YMMV.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
I have a GoPro 3 Black and the bummer thing for me is with the higher quality video stuff I can't even get the video to play back on my computers. And I didn't think my computers were that slow and old.. Sucks...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote