Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #16501
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,837
I know the Acerbis tank comes with it's own front mounts that use the top motormount bolts - but you still need the stock metal plate for the rear.

Only $210 at justgastanks.com Says for "S" only - but having installed one, I don't think it matters. Heat shield interference?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #16502
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I know the Acerbis tank comes with it's own front mounts that use the top motormount bolts - but you still need the stock metal plate for the rear.

Only $210 at justgastanks.com Says for "S" only - but having installed one, I don't think it matters. Heat shield interference?

and if you call clarke or IMS direct, they will make you a tank to fit your bike of whatever color you want. Since I have blue plastics on my DR350SE, they will make a Yami blue tank! Now I just gotta get the money :(
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #16503
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:

Might have to do with clearance of throttle cables/linkage. Left side on the S model (BST33). Right side on the off-road (TM33)
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #16504
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

You've installed one on a dirt model? Where does the acerbis mount on the front? The picture does not show a bracket going up to the screws below the oil fill. And on that picture, there aren't any screws there. That leads me to believe that it mounts on the rubber circles that my bike is missing, else I could use my street tank.

I think I'm going to get out the dremel and carve a notch into a piece of rubber pipe to make it fit into the heat shield slots.
Or I could actually drill a hole and mount something there.. Oh the possibilities!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for some seriously smelly epoxy/plastic weld to set on the tank now and see how it does. No luck with the water weld stuff. couldn't get it to be workable enough. Mind you, I'm trying to fix a 9"+ split :)
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #16505
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,837
Here's some pics:

DR350 dirt

You can see the threaded boss for the dirt tank mount - and you can see that raised round bit - where a street bike would have a post for a rubber bumper

Here's a hack to put a street tank on a dirt bike (using an acerbis rubber bumper):

Here's a street bike:

You can see no threaded boss, just a raised round bump where the dirt bike had a threaded post - and you can see the post where the rubber bumper should be.

Oh! Oh! And here's both an Acerbis mount - and the street rubber bumper!

And the other side:

And another

Here's the back mount for a street bike - I think that's a Clarke, but Acerbis is similar - plate screwed to plastic tank, attached to original frame bracket - horns hold front of seat.

And here's a gratuitous pic of my DR

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #16506
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Here's some pics:

Here's a hack to put a street tank on a dirt bike (using an acerbis rubber bumper):
There's the money shot! Wait! They're all money shots. Major gratis for the dr350 gas tanks 101 course!

I love mods that aren't permanent. This is excellent.. Now to find some rubber bumpers. Think I'll borrow em off a "donor" bike.

Cheers man, that made my life a while lot easier!

I might print out a pic of your ride and tape it onto mine..
Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #16507
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
My street model, with CV carb, has a wee bit of a choke problem. When I start it cold, the choke knob tends to open by itself and then the engine dies. I have to hold the choke closed until the engine warms up. Any thing I should look for next time I'm in the carb?

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #16508
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
My street model, with CV carb, has a wee bit of a choke problem. When I start it cold, the choke knob tends to open by itself and then the engine dies. I have to hold the choke closed until the engine warms up. Any thing I should look for next time I'm in the carb?
The "choke" is technically an enrichment circuit. The are little ridges on the shaft that hold it in place in the on and half-on positions. The entire assembly can be removed and replaced or maybe repaired. I've seen small zip-ties used around the rubber dust shield to make them snug on the shaft.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #16509
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
basic question

Does the DR faithful have a preferred clutch/brake lever replacement? I've searched and found EMGO, Motion Pro, MSR, Moose, blah blah etc. Forged, cast, snapback, with molded in grips, black, polished...long lists. I'm looking for a simple lever that fits correctly, feels okay, and that will neither break the bank nor the first time I dump the bike. I have sturdy handguards and ride cautiously but hope to only buy new levers once. I have broken (but usable) stockers for spares. Also I've seen some curled up ends, wassup wif dat?
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #16510
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
I'm back! w00t! So excited to have a DR again. Here's the 99 I picked up today:

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #16511
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Does the DR faithful have a preferred clutch/brake lever replacement? I've searched and found EMGO, Motion Pro, MSR, Moose, blah blah etc. Forged, cast, snapback, with molded in grips, black, polished...long lists. I'm looking for a simple lever that fits correctly, feels okay, and that will neither break the bank nor the first time I dump the bike. I have sturdy handguards and ride cautiously but hope to only buy new levers once. I have broken (but usable) stockers for spares. Also I've seen some curled up ends, wassup wif dat?
My new to me 99 also has a broken brake lever. What say you collective?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #16512
parttime rider
in the woods

Oddometer: 40
gas tank

anybody looking for a stock tank? give me a pm its off a 98se.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #16513
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttime rider View Post
anybody looking for a stock tank? give me a pm its off a 98se.
Will that fit a 90 dirt model? I'm still learning my DRs.
So, I'm all about it!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #16514
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
I'm back! w00t! So excited to have a DR again. Here's the 99 I picked up today:

Nice bike,congrats! Enjoy it!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #16515
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
gas tank

Friedom, read the last 2 pages. Excellent lesson in gas tank compatibility, including pics. I sent a pm about the tank btw. Couple hours ago.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote