Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #31
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
I doubt Natchflug was talking about my junk when he mentioned the 175 Yamaha. But, even so, I did one and it makes no sense to anyone but me.

Why did I do it ? Because a motorcycle is a living creature to me. They have soul. They talk in a voice only a few lucky ones can hear. Restoring these old bikes is akin to setting on the porch in rocking chairs listening to an old man tell me stories. Respect. Take you hat off when he's talking. Listen to every word he says. You'll learn more about the world and yourself than you can imagine if you'd just shut up long enough to take it all in.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #32
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I view it as an obsessive compulsive disorder. I've brought a good number of K bikes back from the dead. The best part is taking them out for the first ride.

My biggest project was my K75. I started with a bare motor and assembled it out of parts from lord knows how many other years and models of K bikes. It is truly a Frankenbrick. When people ask me what year it is I reply: "About twelve."

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
I can spend hours just looking at these old beauties let alone get them out for a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
We give new life to the rusting hulks and other beasts discarded by the careless mob. We see the splendor that could be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I just can't pass up an orphaned non running vehicle. It's an illness.
I can identify with all these quotes, and have done many of these projects--both motorcycle and automotive--down thru the years. What disturbs me is the realization that for most of my life, I guess I have had the sickness that makes me want to save poor, broken things just to see if they can be made whole again.....which now that I think about it, may be how I've chosen most of the women in my life down thru the years...Yikes! Man, I need to go see my shrink with THIS NEW REVELATION!!!
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
I have brought home, rusted bikes, crashed bikes, burned up bikes, I look at a pile of s*** and see a jewel and I always say this is my last no more but then another finds its way to my garage. I figure I saved a bike ( mostly Guzzi's) from the scrap heap and passed it on to a happy new owner.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #35
dzu
Outstanding

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I doubt Natchflug was talking about my junk when he mentioned the 175 Yamaha. But, even so, I did one and it makes no sense to anyone but me.

Why did I do it ? Because a motorcycle is a living creature to me. They have soul. They talk in a voice only a few lucky ones can hear. Restoring these old bikes is akin to setting on the porch in rocking chairs listening to an old man tell me stories. Respect. Take you hat off when he's talking. Listen to every word he says. You'll learn more about the world and yourself than you can imagine if you'd just shut up long enough to take it all in.
Very Nice Work Love the throw backs...to know where your going have to know where you came from.
dzu is offline   Reply With Quote