Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 602
Kevlar is a pretty amazing fabric but a few of the reasons they havent replaced leather include these:

1) Cut strength of kevlar which make it so useful in bullet proof vest is less useful in meeting abrasion resistance requirement of PPE of motorcycle riders;

2) Abrasion resistance of kevlar is achieved through knitting rather than the usual woven arrangement which adds to the bulk - reason why the more effective linings from Draggin Jeans and Halvarson's safety suits are bulkier than the usual woven liners from another kevlar line jeans. Motoport's clothing range fall into this category too i believe.

3) the ad kevlar is 5x stronger than steel is based on same weight of material being used -given kevlar is so light weight, it requires a lot more bulk to achieve the same strength - the ad is very misleading in this way.

4) While sweat wears down leather - kevlar degrade rapidly from UV sources, a protective layer or coating must be applied otherwise they become useless very quickly

5) leather has lower coefficient of friction, meaning they slide better; and

6) leather is better at dissipating heat from sliding friction, meaning less friction burn.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Dang, just use some common sense. Don't confuse strength with abrasion resistance. Kevlar might well be 10X stronger than leather for a given thickness,,,,, doesn't mean that the kevlar will stand up as well to abrasion. In some ways, these gloves may well do some things better than leather. In some things, leather might be better. They are right, leather does deteriorate with repeated wetting and drying cycles. Also, sweat contains salts and that wetting/drying cycle is that much more notable.

Racing organizations tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to safety. Leather has worked great for a long time so they are reluctant to change. Add in the fact that leather is more abration resistant for a given thickness than most if not all comparable materials there isn't any secret why leather is king in racing. Textiles are just starting to creep in some track day organizations and as real life experience are gathered, textiles might get more popular.

Are they guilty of talkin shit and streatching the bubble gum? Yep. So are some others. Doesn't mean that they are shit gloves and doesn't mean that everything they say is BS. Like I said, use some common sense, sift through the chaff and try not to get so bent over small chit.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
busabr1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
All the speedway racers use Kevlar suits in the UK, my friend has a race suit custom made for him and he loves it
busabr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
Bodge OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I can see how I was confused by there clames but in the same sence its almost pointless telling us about some of thoughs facts. Mainly the 10x stronger than leather bit. I probaly was alittle harsh though. They way they talk makes it sound like you can't be more protective than to wear there gear which i feel isnt the case. And PPE is a important subject

Another thought i had is perhaps its easyer to get a tight fit to skin with leather, stopping armer moving around in a off and stopping the metiral from bunching up or causing there own burns by frition.

Ive been reading into "bull it" jeans. Full CE level 2 tested and passed for the hole lot. Apparnly much better than kevlar in everything. Abration tear burst been wet. They dont make any clames to be better than leather but say they will take a 7 second slide which is very good. Not sure what they are made of. They do say that kevlar doesn't like getting wet at all
Bodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Married Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
A noob who's been here a month posts this?

Okay, put that aside. Perhaps before trouncing on a firm for it's claims and the like, one might be better served to do some personal research and gain a little insight before spouting off at the mouth.

Would I wear my 6 year old mesh kevlar suit at the track? No. I have a custom Vanson leather suit for that. Would I wear my Volante for a trip around the world? No, I have other gear for that purpose.

I rode in the mesh kevlar this passed weekend at 109F and in triple digits the entire weekend and was fine since I stayed hydrated. I also wore it to 23F while in Europe with no heated gear and was fine there too.

So while I can agree that some of the claims by Motoport are perhaps a bit of wordsmithing, I think blasting them for it as a very new member of the community is as pointless as me writing this response to such ignorance.
I don't know Bodge, but being a noob to ADVrider doesn't mean he's new to motorcycling. His opinion and questions are just as valid as anyone's. They stand or fall on their own merit, not their post count. Forty two years riding, four months posting. Doug
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Married Man View Post
Forty two years riding, four months posting. Doug
Noob
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Hmmm...I thought there was a rule about noobs starting threads.

let me help:
their claims
sense
those
probably
their
easier
armor
material
their
friction
whole
apparently
abrasion

Fixed.
Just wow.

browneye screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:44 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post

Ive been reading into "bull it" jeans. Full CE level 2 tested and passed for the hole lot. Apparnly much better than kevlar in everything. Abration tear burst been wet. They dont make any clames to be better than leather but say they will take a 7 second slide which is very good. Not sure what they are made of. They do say that kevlar doesn't like getting wet at all
A bit off topic here.

I am all for CE certified clothing. But dont confused the test result from real life results. The time it lasted in the test strictly refers to time under the specificed CE test. While the test results is very useful to compare results between tested products, it does NOT mean you are protected to the same amount of time in real life crash.

In Real Life Crash, every crash dynamics are unique. Depending on the impact speed and abrasiveness of surface, you could either be protected for shorter or longer time than the 7 seconds quoted.

BTW, the new Bull-IT "real life" test is so poorly constructed, it's laughable. They are obviously trying to duplicate the Draggin Jeans' drag a man on the bum test many years ago. While Draggin Jeans test was impressive, the Bull IT version is so obviously flawed. The man being dragged looks like it's being dragged at 20km/hr or less, hardly the condition likely to be experienced by any real crash motorists.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
I believe that a textile can perform better than thin leather gloves for sure. That said, few racers ever put their hands out when they crash, they tend to tuck and slide on their backs where the heavy leather suit does it's work.
I don't know about that. There are plenty of flailing arms in GP crashes - usually not the top racers, but there are definitely plenty of cases I can remember where riders crash with their arms out or hands scraping the pavement during a slide.

Textile gloves do not give the same feel, even if the material is thinner, because they are simply different fabrics. If you have not worn a $250-400 race glove that might not make sense but I've never encountered a textile glove that "feels" like a kangaroo or calf skin palmed racing glove. Additionally, leather molds to the rider's hand size+shape where textile can only stretch to fit which causes constriction.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
I don't know about that. There are plenty of flailing arms in GP crashes - usually not the top racers, but there are definitely plenty of cases I can remember where riders crash with their arms out or hands scraping the pavement during a slide.

Textile gloves do not give the same feel, even if the material is thinner, because they are simply different fabrics. If you have not worn a $250-400 race glove that might not make sense but I've never encountered a textile glove that "feels" like a kangaroo or calf skin palmed racing glove. Additionally, leather molds to the rider's hand size+shape where textile can only stretch to fit which causes constriction.
Your are right in both cases. I've fallen a couple times at the track and lots more playing around on dirt and tarmac and have ruined a few pairs of gloves myself,,,,, leather and textile. If I remember right, Schwantz and Doohan both have had pretty severe hand injuries.

Your comment on how nice leather gloves {suites too} form after time is dead on. While they are not top of the line, I've had a couple pairs of Helds and they literally "fit like a glove". In the case of gloves and suites, buy em slightly tight, soak them on a nice hot day and go for a ride. When you get done with a day's worth of riding they form fit perfectly and that is a drawback to textiles. I wear both, both have their advantages and both have drawbacks.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I have motoport gear, I also have their gloves. The jacket and pants are quality
Products and are a lot cooler than leather in warm weather, overall I think they offer great protection. The gloves on the other hand no pun intended, are down right uncomfortable. I became aware of their gear from several motor officers I know, they all swear by it. Since their wearing it 8-10 hours a day five days a week ill take their recommendations. Several officers have had serious accidents wearing motoport gear, their fellow officers agree they are alive today because of it
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I just ride naked...skin grows back...duh, and it is free.
All the kevlar,carbon, nano, nucleaic...yadayada faaahhhgedaboutit !!

Motoport might be the BEST gear made...IDK, but their claims are ridiculous.
I am a devout leather guy for skin protection. If it is hot you can not beat a good mesh kevlar coat for coolness, but for comfort and feel and good rash protection in comfortable weather I am ALL about leather.

Whoever said in England all the best Speedway guys wear kevlar.....yeah right. Some maybe, "all" NO. And then remember, they ride on DIRT not concrete and asphalt. I wear polyester and nylon in the dirt and so do many flat track guys on short tracks. Just sayin "apples and oranges" here.

Motoport=good synthetic gear
Motoport does NOT = The best choice hands down in all circumstances.

I have been down at 120mph at Laguna Seca in full custom leathers and down at 90mph on a Harley in AZ in jeans and a T-shirt. Healed up from both.