Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
So for those of you that have purchased the Overland Jacket and pants how do you like them? Do they fit true to size? (Street Clothes). Would you buy again or upgrade to the Latitude or Badlands? Any real world opinions would be great...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #47
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
So for those of you that have purchased the Overland Jacket and pants how do you like them? Do they fit true to size? (Street Clothes). Would you buy again or upgrade to the Latitude or Badlands? Any real world opinions would be great...
I'm a little broken up right now so the gear sits hanging in the closet untested.
I would say the jacket fits a little big. I went with large when I usually go XL due to long torso and arms. The pant fit seems true to civies. Layering with long undies and medium weight fleece still gives plenty of movement without being too tight or loose. If you use puffy insulation you might want to go true to size on the jacket. The quality seems top notch and I wouldn't consider an upgrade unless I were doing a mutli-season run where I expected some warm weather. Bought this for a summer Alaska trip with mild temps and lots of water.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #48
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
As some others have asked on here but we haven't heard a reply from anyone that owns the gear and has used it yet how does it work in "HOT" weather. This would be my summer gear also. It's currently 110 degrees here in St. George and while I understand that no gear is comfortable in this heat I can still wear my Rev'it Cayenne with no liners and it flows enough air to not make me to uncomfortable. How does this Klim gear vent? Is it sufficient. I guess I am trying to justify this gear over cost and not having to jump up into the Latitude line. Or should I just pony up and buy the latitude. Or even the badlands.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
My question is whether or not it has the same weird back hump as the traverse that makes you look like you shit your pants because of the back pad? (I know the hump is for covering a fanny pack, but it feels terrible).
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #50
sevenpointsixtwo OP
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
My question is whether or not it has the same weird back hump as the traverse that makes you look like you shit your pants because of the back pad? (I know the hump is for covering a fanny pack, but it feels terrible).
Judging by the video review at Revzilla, it doesn't look like it has too much of this "bulge" on their tester.

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #51
BCJC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I'm a slim 6' 175lbs, tried on the traverse M, and of course the sleeves were too short in a riding position. Now have the overland in a L, and the sleeve lengths is perfect, but the body of the jacket is way baggier than i would like. Definitely not "skinny little euro boy" sizing...

Not alot of faith that the elbow armour will stay put, and those dinky velcro straps are just for looks, cause they ain't gonna hold anything down under stress.

The heft and feel of the jacket is nice, fairly burly. Neck closure keeps wind out well, vents do ok, but i don't live in a hot weather zone.

As mentioned, the sleeve cuffs are tough to get over gauntlet gloves. I have Held Air n Dry's, and its a pita if you are doing town stuff, and having to put on/off often.

Overall, if the jacket is truly waterproof, and will keep some road rash away, i'll be happy. But, it's not quite the magic bullet jacket at $430. imo.
BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #52
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I really like the overland jaclet/pants combo. I'm 5.11, 215 lbs, jacket XL and pants 38 for me. We ride in low temps here in the falls, like 41F so I need some room under the jacket and pant to put some good "winter" mid layer when I need it.

It does not look good as the Latitude, but it 400$ less here in Canada for the set and it do the job very well. It's my first klim and I don't regret it.
Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #53
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpointsixtwo View Post
I've been actively looking for new waterproof riding gear that will cover a range of seasons, conditions, and riding styles. I'm looking for something totally versatile for on/off-road, layering underneath, or venting in the hot, but still staying dry through it all.

So far, my top options have been the Klim Traverse jacket & pant, or the Icon Patrol combo. I like the Icon for the bib/suspenders and features of the jacket, but the Traverse is cheaper (although I would plan to buy the D3O armor and be able to remove it when wearing a pressure suit), and has the gore-tex guarantee. I trust Klim's build quality a bit more than Icon, given what I've heard about longevity of both products.

Some googling has revealed this, though:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Over...ket_p_834.html

No info about it on Klim's site (or anywhere else, apparently), but it's priced between the Traverse and the Latitude; so will it be oriented more towards split pavement and dirt riding, or just an up-featured dirt version of the Traverse? Why so much more expensive? I've heard it may come with armor, but there's no mention of that on the site. It looks like it has a higher collar to keep more weather out of the helmet.

How about touring in the Traverse? I've heard the cut is baggy and will blow me around at highway speeds and not keep the armor in place; but I've also read that some people do it comfortably. The Overland looks like it might vent better with the dual extractor zips on the back vs. the single horizontal on the Traverse.

So, should I wait until this officially releases and consider it as an alternative to the Traverse or the Patrol?

Have you looked at the Olympia AST and XMoto, both are better IMO. Icon does not vent or fit well. Klim as very little abrasion protection due to lightweight material and loose box cut.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #54
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
pants fit with mx boots?

Has anyone used the Overland pants with full mx boots? I wear SG-12's and wondered if the pants would get over them.

Thanks.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #55
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
i have sg 10s and they fit me ok.
medium build. i dont have calves like a samoan...
Thanks for the info. My legs are not very big, so it sounds like it would work.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #56
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
I wonder if I can replace the armor with something better than small, CE level-1 armor ... something like the BMW NP armor.
The armor is perfectly-sized for my frame. The size M jacket fits me perfectly at 6' even, 150 lbs: arm length, torso length and torso width are all spot on. I can ride with just a jersey, a jersey plus wool or insulating layer or a jersey plus pressure suit. For my trip I use the integrated armor, not a pressure suit.

I just lived in the Overland jacket for 3+ weeks. I give it 9 of 10 stars and look forward to using it for a long time. Water-resistance was better than expected while riding through high mountain monsoons.

A few small complaints:
- Water-resistant zippers on the pockets are very sticky and don't seem to be getting less sticky: in particular the breast-pocket can't be opened with one hand while sitting on the bike in the gear. The lower hand pockets also tend to eat the pocket liner, requiring you to take off the jacket and use two hands and a foot to open the zipper.
- Cooling was adequate to 90 degrees and dry (I was in the desert); I think a great 2.0 version would include bicep-area zippered vents.

pic after hard use:
http://instagram.com/p/cUNgMni4cV/
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.

rpet screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 12:07 PM
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #57
atomizer
Be here now

Oddometer: 262
got my jacket

I'm 6'4 and 195 lbs. Pretty darn tall and skinny. I had ordered the Traverse in an XL and it was massive on me. They were out of LG Traverses so I ordered a LG Overland (didn't need the pads, but only option I had).
It just showed up and fits great. Just long enough in the arms and not as baggy around the waist and chest area as the XL Traverse.
The pads feel fine and I'll use them when I'm just riding around town and for small trips.
I took the pads out to see how my pressure suit would fit as I will be using that under the jacket most of the time.
Fit great, even better than the jacket with pads.
I'm leaving on a 3 week Western TAT trip soon and I'll chime back in with a full review when I get back.
Big thanks to Atomic Moto for being very knowledgeable on the phone when I was asking a zillion questions. A
atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #58
tcall52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I recently picked up a new Klim Overland jacket. Haven't worn it yet (too damn hot here in S GA), but was disappointed by how thin the D30 T5 EVO XT shoulder and elbow pads are. Since I really like the jacket, I picked up the 'PRO' version of the above pads. They are considerably thicker (maybe 50%?). Problem solved.

I use a Firstgear mesh jacket in the summer, so I have no intention of wearing the Overland until things cool off a bit. I can't tolerate summer heat in any non-mesh gear. But I really like the look and feel of the Overland. I had narrowed it down between the Overland or the Latitude. Since what I really want is a well-made, waterproof shell-type jacket with decent crash padding, and the biggest difference between the 2 seems to be simply that the Latitude has more pockets, I went with the Overland. Only time will tell if this pans out. If not, I still have the Darien. I usually wear a size L, but with the Klim I had to go with an XL. I am 6' tall and weigh 215.
tcall52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #59
tcall52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Could you post a link to the new pads?
I'd like to add thicker pads.
I'm looking for better knee armor, they're really thin as well.
Thanks.
Here's one of many vendors for the D3O pads:

http://www.klim.com/Motorcycle/D3O-Replacement-Shoulder-Pads-T5-Evo-Pro-Xt-Set-Of-2.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=16823579

I have upgraded the elbow and shoulder pads on the Overland, and will probably also get the PRO back protector as well.
tcall52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #60
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
They both look like they're CE level 1

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...-shoulder-pads
  • CE certified prEN1621-1:2011Level 1 in all conditions
The old pads (st-standard temp) used to be certified ce level 2 to the newer version of en1621 in both hot and cold temperatures but they had this issue with stress cracking in the cold.

The new ones (xt) Are more flexible, but are rated to level 2 in the cold and level 1 in the hot.

Since cracked armor provides none, it's best to use the xt in the cold.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote