Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #46
SpectreNCSU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12

Eureka Solitaire. Runs $85 or so, weighs under 3 lbs. Well made.

SpectreNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #47
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post

If someone wants a nice cottage industry, I bet you could do quite well making replacement pole kits for popular tent models that make the poles pack significantly shorter, by adding two (or even three) sections to the replacement pole.
Ebay, you'll find replacement tent poles with shorter sections in aluminium (~400mm long) for around $25 each (including postage). Generally, you'll need to buy some of the spare joining tube and do some cutting, but it's an option. Considering it - but I just don't do enough camping to make it worth while.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #48
FireStrings85 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
This seems like one of the better deals I'm seeing for a fairly sophisticated tent that has good reviews. Do you know the dimensions of what it packs down to? Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3doug View Post
REI half dome 2 plus
FireStrings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #49
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
No question the Redverz is big in both space weight and packed size...I could careless if someone is snickering....that's their problem. Its tool like anything else, it works great for some jobs not so much for others. I find it very useful and comfortable whether I'm at a campground our out in the woods.

I look at some of the bivy setups that many rave about and can't see myself sleeping in what looks like a coffin to me. A bit to claustrophobic for that.

Anyway if someone makes themselves feel superior by ragging on the type of tent or the bike someone ownes I think they have the problem.....
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
I look at some of the bivy setups that many rave about and can't see myself sleeping in what looks like a coffin to me. A bit to claustrophobic for that.
Do you sleep in a sleeping bag when you camp?

A bivy is really just a waterproof bag cover. If you want to test the concept then good condition usgi gortex bivies can be had on eBay for under $30. I prefer to pair them with a small tarp like a 5x8 siltarp etc over the head area so I don't have to close it up all the way if I don't want to. Plus its a place to sit and store stuff nearby.

With such a setup I feel like I'm on the opposite end of claustrophobia. It's very open and airy. Personally I feel claustrophobic in a traditional tent.

Sent from my HTC using magic.

veriest1 screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 12:56 PM
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #51
ELM0T0L0C0
Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer: 184
As many have said it all depends. I mostly am a rider first, camper seconds. Depending on where I am going and temperature it is either my nemo gogo or my Hennessey hammock.
The gogo packs tiny, no poles because of the air beams and pitches in about 60 seconds. The hammock is so comfortable if the temp is above 40 or so packs a little bigger than the go go but you can camp anywhere there are a couple of trees.
http://www.nemoequipment.com/wordpre...723_1_zoom.jpg

http://www.bikepacking.net/wp/wp-con...ultralight.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

2006 TE610, 2005 DR650, 2006 CRF450X, 2003 SV1000, 1977 XS650s
ELM0T0L0C0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #52
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Do you sleep in a sleeping bag when you camp?

A bivy is really just a waterproof bag cover. If you want to test the concept then good condition usgi gortex bivies can be had on eBay for under $30. I prefer to pair them with a small tarp like a 5x8 siltarp etc over the head area so I don't have to close it up all the way if I don't want to. Plus its a place to sit and store stuff nearby.

With such a setup I feel like I'm on the opposite end of claustrophobia. It's very open and airy. Personally I feel claustrophobic in a traditional tent.

I use a sleeping bag but not a mummy style....to confining...most of the time I open it up and use it like a blanket with my nemo pad underneath,,,
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #53
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I use a sleeping bag but not a mummy style....to confining...most of the time I open it up and use it like a blanket with my nemo pad underneath,,,
I hear ya. Probably wouldn't work for you without a really big one. The usgi bivies are pretty roomy. I can fit my neo air in there with me comfortably.

Since you use your bag as a blanket anyway have you tried dedicated backpacking quilts? They're pretty amazing and save weight/space. I'm using the old style golite ultra 20 from tears ago. It's a true 30 degree quilt that weighs 19 ounces.

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #54
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Oh,
In all seriousness, I'm impressed that you managed to get the Goldwing in and loaded up. I hadn't realised that the porch was that large in them. You can also quite legitimately ignore the snickers because you 'rough it' in a Hammock at other times.
SORRY...i mis represented! the goldwing would not fit in the tent in any direction. The vstrom is the current bike that fits in the tent.