Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #29821
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
FAT GUYS IN LITTLE SHORTS...

July 4th ride with my brother...He's got over 2k on his Specialized but my Giant is only about to turn 300 miles. He is a hammer...but we managed to meet in the middle and have a good workout and a better time. Lotsa bulshittin' on the road.

For the numbers guys- 33.3 miles averaging 15.9 mph for a bit over 2 hours...made it home before the wind and temp really whipped our tails.

Now it is time for a shower and some beers
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #29822
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Here's some of John's other builds.

This one is in CA:

A group picture:

A velo:

...that tilts:

And, apparantly, a younger John -

k7 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 06:40 PM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #29823
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
This article just posted online also. It's tells a great story.

“People with brain cancer don’t get to quit,” Parker said. “What kind of a message was I sending if I stopped?”

I agree with you on the NoCom - great/fast machine. Have you seen John Morciglio's work?

Pure sex...
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #29824
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I would love to see HR data on Ryan dungy or Poto during moto 2 of a national just to see where their cardio is compared to a pro cyclist.
You'd have to know their LT threshold HR to make sense of their HR data. HR varies between individuals- 170 for me will be different from your 170. And all it shows is how fast the heart is beating, not how much work the person is doing. Factors other than the effort the rider is making will affect HR, like temperture and hydration.

Most of the good MXers and motorcycle road racers train on bicycles quite a bit, and they are pretty fit. Some will dabble in bicycle racing. For example Ben Bostrom's at least a cat 2 and turned in a 2:11 at the Mt Evans hillclimb this year. That's not the same as the top pros who can do 1:50 or so (Tom Danielson did it in 1:43 in 2007), but it's pretty damn good, especially for someome who does not live at altitude. He also probably carries a little more upper body muscle mass than your typical skinny climber.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #29825
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,040
Got out for a ride to the beach again. Went a little further.

Tough one this time. I could not hang onto the tandem that came by at about 23mph on the way back. I sprinted to catch, caught, stayed there for a while then the first underpass, the tandem held the 23. I couldn't do that. Backed off to 18-ish.
I am tired now. Going to go find my ice pack for my back and sort of veg.
Strava goop:

While I was in Newport I stopped and looked for a car. No bike racks on these. I didn't buy one.
Facebook
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 03:36 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #29826
k7
Ancien cyclist

remind you of anyone???

Cracked me up.....

Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #29827
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
hillbillys tend to be crazy.
But really I have a race bike and a trail bike, my fav harescramble series died and the next closest is 2.5hr drive so I quit racing. I would be perfectly happy with selling the race bike and spending that $ on a nice pedal bike. Just another advantage of a road bias pedal bike, fitness goals and motivation. No dirtbike race=more ass time on the couch and no motivation to work out.

sometimes the endorphine rush from a long painful climb on a pedal bike is just as satisfying as a gnarly section of adrenaline filled singletrack on the 2 stroke. Diff rush entirely but still very satisfying
I sold a KTM 450 exc last fall to purchase a (lightly) used Pivot FS 29er. No regrets. I've ridden more miles and gotten in better shape in the last 8 months than the previous decade. Do it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #29828
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866

Re: the third bike from the front. Is that some sort of tandem where the riders (Can we even refer to them as captain and stoker?) sit back to back? Wild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
While I was in Newport I stopped and looked for a car. No bike racks on these. I didn't buy one.

Maybe bungee it to the wing?

TheNedster screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:11 PM
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #29829
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Re: the third bike from the front. Is that some sort of tandem where the riders (Can we even refer to them as captain and stoker?) sit back to back? Wild...
Yep - it's a back-to-back and apparently pretty fast to boot.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #29830
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:

Yep - great concept, but the back drivetrain wants to turn the wrong way, gotta do something interesting, like pedal backwards or cross the chain.

Here's the Flevobike version:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #29831
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
[QUOTE=TheNedster;21793842]

That looks way cool! How much do these things go for?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #29832
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,040
Besides piss poor economy and really poor cargo capacity, the financing options were not that attractive.

Quote:
Maybe bungee it to the wing?
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #29833
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
hmm,... are modern CF bikes that fragile? my mid '90s Kestrel has a fair spattering of rock chips, and hasn't shown any sign of failure,...
I'm gonna file that one under 'nice to have done, but not necessary.'

I know I've ridden my Full Tilt Boogie thru some gravel and its fine.

YMMV

Speaking of which... Just got back from 2:13 of mixed surface roads. Rode the Wed winter loop backwards. Car needed tires and the tire place is just down the road from the Haymarket shop.

Saw ONE car on the gravel sections. He was playing 'rallye driver' and was hauling ass down a twisty, turny dirt road with lots of blind corners. :rolleye I can only imagine what would've happened if I was another car.

M
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #29834
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
You'd have to know their LT threshold HR to make sense of their HR data. HR varies between individuals- 170 for me will be different from your 170. And all it shows is how fast the heart is beating, not how much work the person is doing. Factors other than the effort the rider is making will affect HR, like temperture and hydration.

Most of the good MXers and motorcycle road racers train on bicycles quite a bit, and they are pretty fit. Some will dabble in bicycle racing. For example Ben Bostrom's at least a cat 2 and turned in a 2:11 at the Mt Evans hillclimb this year. That's not the same as the top pros who can do 1:50 or so (Tom Danielson did it in 1:43 in 2007), but it's pretty damn good, especially for someome who does not live at altitude. He also probably carries a little more upper body muscle mass than your typical skinny climber.
Bostrum rode the single speed worlds a few years back and got 3rd.

Fast guy on a bike too!

M
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #29835
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Bostrum rode the single speed worlds a few years back and got 3rd.

Fast guy on a bike too!

M
Troy Bayliss used to train with Axel Merckx. Josh Hayes didn't start winning championships until he started riding bikes and taking fitness seriously. His wife Melissa got him into it when they were dating. Spies and Bostrom have both finished well at the 24hours of Moab. The top MX pros usually ride as well.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: