User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #29716
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888

Re: the third bike from the front. Is that some sort of tandem where the riders (Can we even refer to them as captain and stoker?) sit back to back? Wild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
While I was in Newport I stopped and looked for a car. No bike racks on these. I didn't buy one.

Maybe bungee it to the wing?

TheNedster screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 08:11 PM
TheNedster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #29717
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Re: the third bike from the front. Is that some sort of tandem where the riders (Can we even refer to them as captain and stoker?) sit back to back? Wild...
Yep - it's a back-to-back and apparently pretty fast to boot.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #29718
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:

Yep - great concept, but the back drivetrain wants to turn the wrong way, gotta do something interesting, like pedal backwards or cross the chain.

Here's the Flevobike version:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #29719
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
[QUOTE=TheNedster;21793842]

That looks way cool! How much do these things go for?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #29720
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,838
Besides piss poor economy and really poor cargo capacity, the financing options were not that attractive.

Quote:
Maybe bungee it to the wing?
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #29721
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
hmm,... are modern CF bikes that fragile? my mid '90s Kestrel has a fair spattering of rock chips, and hasn't shown any sign of failure,...
I'm gonna file that one under 'nice to have done, but not necessary.'

I know I've ridden my Full Tilt Boogie thru some gravel and its fine.

YMMV

Speaking of which... Just got back from 2:13 of mixed surface roads. Rode the Wed winter loop backwards. Car needed tires and the tire place is just down the road from the Haymarket shop.

Saw ONE car on the gravel sections. He was playing 'rallye driver' and was hauling ass down a twisty, turny dirt road with lots of blind corners. :rolleye I can only imagine what would've happened if I was another car.

M
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #29722
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
You'd have to know their LT threshold HR to make sense of their HR data. HR varies between individuals- 170 for me will be different from your 170. And all it shows is how fast the heart is beating, not how much work the person is doing. Factors other than the effort the rider is making will affect HR, like temperture and hydration.

Most of the good MXers and motorcycle road racers train on bicycles quite a bit, and they are pretty fit. Some will dabble in bicycle racing. For example Ben Bostrom's at least a cat 2 and turned in a 2:11 at the Mt Evans hillclimb this year. That's not the same as the top pros who can do 1:50 or so (Tom Danielson did it in 1:43 in 2007), but it's pretty damn good, especially for someome who does not live at altitude. He also probably carries a little more upper body muscle mass than your typical skinny climber.
Bostrum rode the single speed worlds a few years back and got 3rd.

Fast guy on a bike too!

M
Old 07-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #29723
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Bostrum rode the single speed worlds a few years back and got 3rd.

Fast guy on a bike too!

M
Troy Bayliss used to train with Axel Merckx. Josh Hayes didn't start winning championships until he started riding bikes and taking fitness seriously. His wife Melissa got him into it when they were dating. Spies and Bostrom have both finished well at the 24hours of Moab. The top MX pros usually ride as well.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #29724
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
Spies also has his own elite road team. Elbowz Racing
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #29725
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That looks way cool! How much do these things go for?
I've never priced them before but my guess is that one with nothing too crazy on the bolt-on's would be $4500-$5000.

Hurting today. Wasn't paying attention to my angle of attack relative to the highway and caught my front tire in a groove. Went down on my left side.

Bike handlebar tape is now a little ratty and I've got quite a bit of rash on my left knee, shoulder, three knuckles (left hand), left forearm and the backside of my frontside. I was probably doing just a tad over 20 at the time.

MrsK7 is gonna throw a fit when I try to ride on Sunday.

k7 screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 06:55 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #29726
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Two events I forgot to mention from the 4th.
First as I was up on the top of the levee I came across a face planted rider/group. They were organized with a guy waving people around and others on cell phones. The guy on the ground had his helmet off and another was holding his head and he was shaded. I could see the fire truck on the road up ahead, no way was he fitting there, but the huge medic truck did just get there as I continued. I got to the underpass as the big ambulance turned onto the trail. The guy and vehicles were gone when I came back by later.
No idea what happened, but by the kit the group were wearing I'd guess a half-wheel incident. Straight flat and dry with good sight lines but narrow so could have had an issue if not anticipating that.

The second event/sighting was of a FWD recombant, and how poorly they turn. On my way back I saw him stopped waiting at a small bridge, he crossed ahead of me and at the far end you have to make a sharp 90 on wood down a ramp. Making that turn and pedaling at the same time looked very awkward. He quickly wound it up to 23 mph, and I spun by in the middle ring. And we both noted the cop car coming down the path on the other side of the channel. We'd just past a ranger's pick-up about a mile back.
I thought there were a lot of cops out but, then remembered it was the 4th and the migration of large people wobbling along with all manner of gear to the beach for the much later in the day fireworks, or parties.

Oh, there was a third thing... When I stopped to recover at the last park before the six mile slog home; I lean my bike against the rail fence, (no racks of any sort around) and got water, got rid of water, dumped water over my head and body to cool off, I spied as my eyes could focus and adjusted to the shade; on the ground wrappers. Those damned GU pack wrappers several of them. Within thirty feet there are a choice of two directions to walk and leave these in trash cans.
What sort of self-important fluffer figures this is OK? In what world is this OK? The only people stupid enough to buy and eat this crap at about the price of a Big Mac are supposedly health conscience folks who one might think prefer running/riding through areas not trashed? Yet here is evidence to the contrary.
I first noticed these wrappers on the trail after there was a staged event for runners. At that time I rode down the trail to the beach and saw on my way out and coming back probably a hundred packet wrappers, small juice containers and such strewn along the route. I never saw anybody from the organization out there cleaning up afterward. Though I was not monitoring the entire route all the time, I only rode through so I may have come through on a way of sorts.
As far as I'm concerned if you are not in a closed event you don't drop anything but spit and sweat on the road.
You may puke on the side of the road.
I use pre-packaged energy products. I also keep the wrapper if I'm not able to toss it in a garbage can. Those Chunks I remove from their impossible to open foil and kevlar bags and put them in zip-lock snack bags. I only eat when stopped. I see no reason to eat on the ride. I'm not in a big peleton racing or training or pretending I'm racing. I had enough eating in motion when I raced. I can afford to stop and grab a couple of Chunks. I also carry three or so NUUN tablets in the same sort of snack bag. Volume efficient. The Gu packs I squeeze out every atom of that crap. Then wash my mouth out with about a half bottle of water. I try to drink the remaining half and re-fill the bottle before I leave the stop. At what, $2.50 a pack I am going to eat all of it and I can just stand it if I'm pretty sure I'm going to die if I don't eat it.
That packet gets flattened, rolled and stowed in a pocket if I'm not at a trash can. But, I usually am. I figure if a forgetful old man can do this so can the rest of the STRAVA studs. See Rule #5.

OK, that's enough. Need to pack up here and head out into traffic. Then a nice little ride on the pushbike is in order.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #29727
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
...Hurting today. Wasn't paying attention to my angle of attack relative to the highway and caught my front tire in a groove. Went down on my left side
Oww. You have my complete sympathy, I wore out my helmet doing that about 3 weeks ago, my right thumb which got stabbed into the pavement somehow is still sore, and not quite back to full use.

I hope you'll be healing up better than me, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #29728
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Oww. You have my complete sympathy, I wore out my helmet doing that about 3 weeks ago, my right thumb which got stabbed into the pavement somehow is still sore, and not quite back to full use.

I hope you'll be healing up better than me, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Man, I thought I was the only one silly enough to go down like this! Thankfully, it isn't as bad of a fall from a diamond-frame compared to a recumbent. It all happened so quickly.

Hope your recovery accelerates and your thumb heals quickly.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #29729
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Heal fast, k7! I hear that 3M Tegaderm is the ticket for dressing road rash.

+1 on Mr. Head's litter rant. Few things torque me off more than seeing a bunch of gel and bar wrappers on the ground during a group ride. It came out of jersey pocket, it can go back in.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #29730
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

That is the first thing I hope to avoid the rest of my life is road rash.
Heal up, ice and whatever the magic stuff is should do the trick. I generally soak my ice in scotch.

Got out for a short windy ride. Wind blowing up the canyon was tough. At one point I was standing on the pedals doing 12 mph on pretty much flat ground. At that point I was thinking that if this kept up when I got to the bridge back across the river, I was going to call it a very short day and climb back up the hill if I could.

I'm closing in on 800 miles since Starting back riding on my birthday. That should get me close to a grand by the end of next weekend. Then it will be time for hills. I'm kind of looking forward to that.

Yeah I know.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: