User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,660
Used Ural or hack what I have?

Never rode a bike with a sidecar, don't know squat about how they handle or any thing. I read most everything I can find, read about Urals, read every home built thread I can find too... so there's the extent of my knowledge, just what I can find online. But, one thing is certain, since I was a little kid I have thought hacks are the coolest things on wheels. I've lain awake at night thinking about how to build what I want, but haven't had the resources ($$) to do anything. But hey! I graduated, have a new job and things are looking promising! Time to get serious!

I have a pair of Ninja 500's. One daily rider and the other a lonesome, beat on Mad Max refugee. I think the lonesome one would make a good candidate for a tug... six speeds, plenty of power for what it is... and the whole Mad Max thing... I have an idea of bringing that aspect into a full on, post apocalyptic sorta' rig. Just something different and cool to me.

On the other hand, there's a Ural. Ready to go, plenty of people who know the bikes inside and out and they are just flat out cool. (I'm not scared of wrenching in the least, I actually like it.) The biggest downsides I can see to a Ural are the fuel economy and the low top speed. I don't ride the freeway very often, but I'm not keen on having something that won't do it when needed.

Er, anyway... So for a newb... build or buy? It would be fun to build one, but it could just as easily turn into a huge headache and never get completed. Is the top speed and economy of a Ural and issue really?

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,930
The FIRST thing you want to do is actually ride one and see if you like it. It ain't for everybody.

Urals have that cool factor right out of the box. No doubt about it.
You mentioned low speeds and low gas mileage, but you can expect an increase in fuel consumption when you put a chair on anything.

Your Ninja 500 can get about 60 mpg, IIRC, based on the one my GF has. But here's where you'll run into problems with adding a chair to it. It's about the torque. A Ural puts out about 10% more torque than your little ninja, and it does it at half the rpm. You got no power before 4000 rpm, and a Ural hits it's peak at around 3500. Off the line, your Ninja will struggle with the extra weight unless you drastically reduce the gearing. Then it's going to have a lower top speed, and at speed you'll have much more wind resistance. It might have a similar top speed, or a little better, but it won't top out at a hundred like it does now!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
The FIRST thing you want to do is actually ride one and see if you like it. It ain't for everybody.
By far the best advice, but it's been my understanding you wonder why you ever thought this was a good idea !
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
At least one inmate has a sidecar on a Ninja 500 as we made mounts for it using my EX500 which other then having a drum rear brake is pretty much the same bike. I would go for it. The 500 is a great bike, Our Kenna would work well as would a used Velorex or Spirit Eagle. Small sidecar bikes can be a lot of fun.
I have thought about running a sidecar on my own EX500 but as it is my only 2 wheeled bike and I have other sidecar bikes it has not happened.
Take a sidecar class, bikes are provided.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
supermotosean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Here's the one Jay built the mounts for in it's various configurations:

Obviously I vote for the 500, makes for a great smaller hack. I wanted a Ural but building this was cheaper than finding a reliable Ural where I'm at. I still kinda want one, but now I'm almost afraid I'll be disappointed . This gets low 40's for mileage, has all the storage I'll ever need, and reproducing it could be done for under 2K. If you can fabricate drop the price considerably, but I can't so it cost me a bit (still cheaper than a Ural and typical Japanese reliability). HTH
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Go Ural...

I say go with Ural rig.
You can find a used one reasonably priced.
I say this because the Ural already has the proper trail for handling a sidecar, the leading link front end and as mentioned above, more torque off the line.
Also, a Ural is off-road capable if you decide to explore some dirt whereas the Ninja is definitely NOT.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,930
DAMN! Between you and Jay...now I want one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post

Obviously I vote for the 500, makes for a great smaller hack. I wanted a Ural but building this was cheaper than finding a reliable Ural where I'm at. I still kinda want one, but now I'm almost afraid I'll be disappointed . This gets low 40's for mileage, has all the storage I'll ever need, and reproducing it could be done for under 2K. If you can fabricate drop the price considerably, but I can't so it cost me a bit (still cheaper than a Ural and typical Japanese reliability). HTH
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Wingincamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I would recommend taking a sidecar class to learn proper techniques. Some of them even supply the sidecar if you don't have one.
I took my class with Adventure Sidecar in Oregon.
http://adventuresidecar.com/

I just checked their site, they are not offering a beginner's class this year. There are some other classes you might be interested in.

Focus your eyes to where you want to be,
Not to where you are afraid of falling to....

http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/
Wingincamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post

You know, I've had pics of that bike hanging on my toolbox for a long while now. Not just one pic either!

Ugh, I have the bike(s), I have the welder, I have SOME of the parts I need, I'm earning enough now to take on a project like this... I just need the metal and a good tube bender and a few more bits like a swingarm and wheel.

Build.

Screw riding one first! If I don't like it I'll sell the whole rig and buy a Versys.

Yeah, that did help. I can't let having a real job could my miserly, conniving ways. I'll build on the second Ninja as a test mule as was my original plan. If I don't like it I'll pass it along.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 776
Like what has already been said, riding with a sidecar isn't for everyone.

I think trying one before you buy or make one is a very good idea. Not only can you feel what it's like to ride or drive one but it also will give you an idea of how it's supposed to handle.

There are instructions out there that will help you put one on but I have yet to come across anything that will give instructions on how to build one. That said, by owning and driving several outfits, I learned enough to even make a few.

Setting up a bike and sidecar isn't always easy but it sure gets the creative juices running. If and when you are at the point of mounting a sidecar, don't imagine so much just getting it on, imagine putting it on then taking it off at the side of the road and putting it back on again. This is why the idea of a subframe is so important, to keep the mounts on the bike from waundering when it's time to put the sidecar back on. I have had the misfortune of having to pull the engine of my bike in a stranger's garage as well as a campground and I have to tell you, it's really important to be able to just bolt the sidecar back on without having to re-allign it every time. Here's a little story about one unfortunete event that made me have to remove the sidecar and pull the motor while on the road. http://pokiespages.com/firstBMW.htm
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
supermotosean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
You know, I've had pics of that bike hanging on my toolbox for a long while now. Not just one pic either!

Ugh, I have the bike(s), I have the welder, I have SOME of the parts I need, I'm earning enough now to take on a project like this... I just need the metal and a good tube bender and a few more bits like a swingarm and wheel.

Build.

Screw riding one first! If I don't like it I'll sell the whole rig and buy a Versys.

Yeah, that did help. I can't let having a real job could my miserly, conniving ways. I'll build on the second Ninja as a test mule as was my original plan. If I don't like it I'll pass it along.

Last time you posted about this you disappeared for a bit. Not this time pal, the small(ish) hack gods demand semi-once-in-a-while build updates with pictures! (Someone has to have a smaller hack other than Leaf, DB and myself, us little guys gotta stick together )
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote