Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #17731
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
So how well does it work?
I had already tried buying an aftermarket light but it seemed too small once I had it in hand.
Priced some of the OEM parts new from Triumph and quickly got to $500 +/- so that doesn't seem fiscally sound for an old, retired guy, on a fixed income. Before I spend some of that 'free time' I now have looking for a used one I need to know that it will be a big improvement. Of course anything would be some improvement over a light that is essentially useless for riding at night (i.e. the stock, US Scrambler light).

Bruce

Its a big improvement over the Scrambler light. It lights up the road with a nice wide beam and no more dead-spot in the center of the beam. The high beam is a little odd though, It shoots so high it misses the road completely but does a good job of lighting up the trees.

At first I didnt care for the look of it. It looked huge on the front of the bike but I am getting used to it.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #17732
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,579
I don't right much at night but when I have the Thruxton light is 100% better than the Scrambler light.

The difference is huge !!!

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #17733
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Well the Wilcox alloy tanks are works of art and the prices match. The NormanHyde tanks aren't really worth even those prices for a few tenths of a gallon more...so there is not a reasonable solution to a larger Bonnie tank out there. I guess you can always carry an extra gallon or two or three with an auxiliary tank. Oh well, thought someone had found a more reasonably priced larger tank out there that I hadn't heard of before.
I suppose I will be stopping every 130-145 miles for fuel as before.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #17734
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmichael View Post
Im also quite curious about this mod. I ride at night alot. The stock headlamp isnt very confidence inspiring.
I installed a Thunderbird headlamp from a wrecker. It was an ebay purchase and there was plenty of room for the wire loom and tgere was a big hole with a rubber gasket cut into it from the factory. I too tried the aftermarket seven inch lamp that was recommended in this site, to no avail.
I am pleased as punch with this direction.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #17735
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
What "big gas tank they sell for the bonnies" are you talking about? Is this an imaginary one or one that you've seen somewhere? Where have you seen one? Anyone seen one?
There is no large gas tank sold for the Bonnie or the Scrambler. The tank on the EFI bikes are larger( IMHO, not as attractive)in order to accommodate the in tank electric fuel pump

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #17736
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
There is no large gas tank sold for the Bonnie or the Scrambler.
Do some research before making sweeping statements like that. https://normanhyde.co.uk/hinckley-tr...ntgs-3702.html

Quote:
The NormanHyde tanks aren't really worth even those prices for a few tenths of a gallon more...
4.9 UK gallons. You Yanks have to start realizing that there's a world outside your borders that uses different measurements.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #17737
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Do some research before making sweeping statements like that. https://normanhyde.co.uk/hinckley-tr...ntgs-3702.html

4.9 UK gallons. You Yanks have to start realizing that there's a world outside your borders that uses different measurements.

Metric system....

ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #17738
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
Metric system....

check out the big brain on brad
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #17739
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
I don't right much at night but when I have the Thruxton light is 100% better than the Scrambler light.

The difference is huge !!!

Terry
The Scram Adv would also have side by side big round lights like a Baja racer.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #17740
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
Anybody replaced their fuel system lines lately? I'm well past the mileage recommended for the change but I'm afraid to ask what a few rubber tubes and clamps are going to cost me. Anyone know? Should I really bother if they aren't dried out or hard?

I had some issues riding in rain that I think were caused by vapour lock when the breather line was blocked with moisture so I'm thinking it might be helpful to at least change that line.

Thoughts?
Just shorten and cut your breather line at a 45 degree angle. When that line is subjected to constant water, like in the rain it can suck in water and act like a blocked line. Cutting at an angle makes it harder for the water to get sucked in. Worked well on my Scrambler and never had any issues after doing that.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #17741
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Geez blacktiger, thanks so much for the clarification. So the normanhyde tank holds 4.9 Imperial gal or 5.9 US gal. A little surprising that NH doesn't specify what unit of measurement they are referencing, since they advertise to an international audience. Not sure that another, what 1.3 US gal or 1.1 Imperial gal is worth 775UK w/o vat or 930UK w/ vat for you lucky Brits in the UK (that's only about $1,155 w/o vat plus a small fortune for shipping to us po' ignorant colonials) - WOW!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #17742
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
There is no large gas tank sold for the Bonnie or the Scrambler. The tank on the EFI bikes are larger( IMHO, not as attractive)in order to accommodate the in tank electric fuel pump
That is what I thought too, BUT, I guess as blacktiger informs us, there is one from normanhyde, it holds another 1.3 US gallons for a mere $1,155 plus shipping. Quite the bargain! See the NH reference in blacktiger's previous posting above.

grebmrof screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #17743
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Geez blacktiger, thanks so much for the clarification. So the normanhyde tank holds 4.9 Imperial gal or 5.9 US gal. A little surprising that NH doesn't specify what unit of measurement they are referencing, since they advertise to an international audience. Not sure that another, what 1.3 US gal or 1.1 Imperial gal is worth 775UK w/o vat or 930UK w/ vat for you lucky Brits in the UK (that's only about $1,155 w/o vat plus a small fortune for shipping to us po' ignorant colonials) - WOW!
Since the US is the only country in the world to use US gallons, I'd say it's incumbent upon Americans to understand everyone else uses different units. All of the British Commonwealth countries (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa etc, etc) used Imperial Gallons before switching to Metric.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #17744
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
Since the US is the only country in the world to use US gallons, I'd say it's incumbent upon Americans to understand everyone else uses different units. All of the British Commonwealth countries (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa etc, etc) used Imperial Gallons before switching to Metric.
Geez a big thanks to our northern neighbor, a former part of the kingdom!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #17745
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Geez a big thanks to our northern neighbor, a former part of the kingdom!
Canada is still part of the "kingdom". Queen Elizabeth II is queen of Canada represented by Governor General David Johnston. A largely ceremonial arrangement, but constitutionally that is the reality.

You probably haven't noticed, but Canada has a Prime Minister like the UK, not a President like the US.

Thread hijack over.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote