Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #331
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
That's me. After living with a very reliable old school BMW shaft for 150,000 miles, then going back to a chain on the Vee, well..... that's a big part of why I bought my Stelvio.

If Suzuki had added shaft drive to the new Vee I would have seriously condidered it. I truly believe they should put a shaft on the Vee and leave a chain on the Wee. Suzuki knows how to build a good shaft drive.

Simply having to think about a chain on a long trip isn't where I'm at. And late model BMWs are pretty much the only bikes with shaft drive problems. There is a very long list of shaft drive bikes without any problems.
I used to be in that camp, but then I decided to try a modern chain drive bike, an FZ6. Since then I have had a DL1000 and now I am on a DL650. The chain has not been a problem. At this point I see advantages to a chain. It reduces cost, weight, complexity, and allows for gearing changes. They require very little maintenance. don't fear the chain!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #332
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I used to be in that camp, but then I decided to try a modern chain drive bike, an FZ6. Since then I have had a DL1000 and now I am on a DL650. The chain has not been a problem. At this point I see advantages to a chain. It reduces cost, weight, complexity, and allows for gearing changes. They require very little maintenance. don't fear the chain!
I understand chains very well. I have a DL1000, KLR650, DRZ400... all with modern o-ring chains. No they are not a "problem" per se. Yes they have become very reliable with a typical lifespan of 20-25k miles. Yes, they have some advantages of which easy gearing changes is one of the best.

I don't fear the chain, I just prefer to change the oil at 25k than spend $300 to replace the chain & sprockets and muck about with the lube/mess in between.

I think there appear to be 2 main camps, chain & shaft, plus the belt drive cruiser guys. It's good to have the option to get what you want.

It will be interesting to see how well the updated Vee will be received. It would be interesting to record viewer's comments with the bike on display at a major motorcycle show.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #333
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I'd just hate to hear you pass on a fantastic bike just because of chain drive. My new 2013 Multistrada might go on the chopping block if Suzuki brings the right bike to the market.....never know... Yea..I fear the new DL1000 will be uglier than previous especially if that concept thing makes it to the market...ohh gawd!

spin and spray ...spin and spray ...

Quote:
I understand chains very well. I have a DL1000, KLR650, DRZ400... all with modern o-ring chains. No they are not a "problem" per se. Yes they have become very reliable with a typical lifespan of 20-25k miles. Yes, they have some advantages of which easy gearing changes is one of the best.

I don't fear the chain, I just prefer to change the oil at 25k than spend $300 to replace the chain & sprockets and muck about with the lube/mess in between.

I think there appear to be 2 main camps, chain & shaft, plus the belt drive cruiser guys. It's good to have the option to get what you want.

It will be interesting to see how well the updated Vee will be received. It would be interesting to record viewer's comments with the bike on display at a major motorcycle show.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #334
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:

Probably four words: too little, too late..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #335
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
I'd just hate to hear you pass on a fantastic bike just because of chain drive.
Already did, I'm loving my 2013 Stelvio NTX.

I test rode the 2013 Multistrada, it's a nice bike with an amazing engine. If I wanted a sport bike with upright ergos & luggage that would be my pick.

I hope Suzuki sells a lot of the revamped Vee, it will help the market and prompt Suzuki to keep at it. I have enjoyed my Vee, chain and all.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #336
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
I'd just hate to hear you pass on a fantastic bike just because of chain drive.
Everyone passes on a fantastic bike for one reason or another. Chain drive, can bus, perceived reliability, fuel range, fuel economy, dealer network, aftermarket support, wheel size etc. Different strokes for different folks. They don't like a chain, whatever reasons they present will not change their mind.

I'd rather not have a bike with can bus or a final drive. Yet there are plenty of people who will defend them tooth and nail. I don't care what they say.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #337
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
from
http://suzuki-vstrom.com/
bike not in red.
never thought red did it justice.
i like it in white

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 11:29 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #338
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
from this video above the designer wanted to reduce weight as much as possible. chain & sprockets weigh less than shaft.

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 11:29 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #339
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
I hope those sidecases really attach as close to the sub frame, as in that drawing. Making it ridiculously wide, like before, serves no purpose.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #340
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Seems they want to address the touring crowd here, which the designer states he is part of. Anybody else notice he considers a good day 250 miles?? (400km). Not a bad afternoon ride but we might have a different idea of the bikes intended use

Brakes should be excellent and if they get the ABS and traction control correct this could be interesting. Really, really curious to see what they did with the motor. If they make a significant increase I could see trading in my current Strom. Maybe a Jap version of the Explorer?

I've only owned three bikes with a shaft, and the first two you KNEW it was a shaft everytime you rode it. My Tenere has minimized the shaft effect so much that I'll take the low maintenance anyday. Not that a chain would scare me off, but a shaft done right seems like a good selling point on a bike like this.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #341
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Of the larger ADV tourers, it seems that the new Capo has the edge on pricing.

This new Strom is hideous, to my eyes at least.

The only way it will compete is on cheap finance, if Suzuki can swing it. Pre-2008 that seems to be what sold Suzukis.

Of all the marques, Suzuki seemed to only value one of their lines (the GSX-R bikes) and the arse fell out of the rest of the range when no-one could finance a bike.

I'm not sure they have truly learned anything.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #342
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
As I read this thread I can't help but wonder how many BMW rear drives really fail, how many people really change there gearing and finally how many people really put in a 400+ mile day. Just wondering, not trying to fight.
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #343
MXG
Adventurer

Crap!!! "Their" gearing. Oops.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #344
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
As I read this thread I can't help but wonder how many BMW rear drives really fail, how many people really change there gearing and finally how many people really put in a 400+ mile day. Just wondering, not trying to fight.
Never had a BMW final drive fail, but mine is the one of the kind that you never read about failing. 39 years old and only a reseal. But I do have to pull the transmission every year to lube the input splines because it's common to strip them on my particular bike.

I've changed the gearing on my Strom, though I went back to stock. Up a tooth on the front sprocket really killed acceleration for me. Suzuki pretty much nailed it for the wee Strom.

Changed the gearing on my KLR, but hat was so long ago I can't remember whether I kept it or not.

Changed the gearing on my Transalp. I would go 1 to the down on the front when I was planning to ride mostly offroad.

Changed gearing on my 640 Adventure. Keep it stock most of the time, but will go one tooth up or down on the counter sprocket if I'm planing on mostly road or mostly offroad.

Changed gearing on my CB350 to fight vibes at cruise. Up a tooth on the cs.

I've also changed the gearing on my BMW. I threw a different ratio final drive on there to lower RPMs at cruise.

400 mile days are not uncommon, though I'd say 300-350 are more common.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #345
MXG
Adventurer

Let me qualify that musing I had. Change the gearing on a street bike, most pure off road bikes get the gearing ratios changed.