Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #76
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I don't know, google maps (bicycle) gave me three routes from my home city to Yosemite national park (220, 222 and 223 miles)...seems do-able, that's what, at least a long day's ride. Then re-google from Yosemite to next leg on a trip...and so on and on....run a cross country in "stages".
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #77
Underboning
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Google Maps will route you just about anywhere, avoiding any interstate highways. Go to Google Maps, click "Get Directions", put in your starting point and destination, click "Show Options" (just below where you type your destination), check the "Avoid Highways" box and then click "Get Directions". If you can get there without taking an Interstate Highway, our overlords in Mountain View will lead the way!

For example, here is how to get from Chandler, AZ to Key West, FL without taking an Interstate. http://goo.gl/maps/T0Hry

This is how we made it from Portland, OR to Sneads Ferry, NC, to Kinsman, OH, and finally to Toronto all without taking any interstate highways. It's really easy. It just usually adds a few miles.

Bike routes may or may not work. When we looked at a few, they involved things like going the wrong way down one-way streets and riding on dedicated bike paths. Obviously a no-go on our Symbas.

Routing is easy, so get out there and ride!!
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #78
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
I don't know, google maps (bicycle) gave me three routes from my home city to Yosemite national park (220, 222 and 223 miles)...seems do-able, that's what, at least a long day's ride. Then re-google from Yosemite to next leg on a trip...and so on and on....run a cross country in "stages".
Example: I can't go to Los Vegas directly from my home city, but I can go to yosimite, yosimite to san diego, san diego to vegas...see, "stages"
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #79
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
Google Maps will route you just about anywhere, avoiding any interstate highways. Go to Google Maps, click "Get Directions", put in your starting point and destination, click "Show Options" (just below where you type your destination), check the "Avoid Highways" box and then click "Get Directions". If you can get there without taking an Interstate Highway, our overlords in Mountain View will lead the way!

For example, here is how to get from Chandler, AZ to Key West, FL without taking an Interstate. http://goo.gl/maps/T0Hry

This is how we made it from Portland, OR to Sneads Ferry, NC, to Kinsman, OH, and finally to Toronto all without taking any interstate highways. It's really easy. It just usually adds a few miles.

Bike routes may or may not work. When we looked at a few, they involved things like going the wrong way down one-way streets and riding on dedicated bike paths. Obviously a no-go on our Symbas.

I'd listen to him...he takes good cheesecake pictures!

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #80
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
I've ridden from San Diego to Houston and the only time I was on the freeway was when I detoured up to Flagstaff to have lunch with a friend and decided to make up some time by riding 120 miles or so east on I-40. I didn't have to take I-40 and hadn't originally planned to do so but since I decided to go through Sedona and take the canyon up to Flagstaff it seemed like a good idea to make up a little of the lost time. I've ridden from Breckenridge, CO to Houston, TX without setting even a tire on any interstate. From Houston to Washington DC and back without the need for interstate travel. I did occasionally jump on one when I needed to make time such as after a 2 hour delay due to a logging truck/minivan accident closed US 50 in West Virginia but I didn't have to do so. Found lots of really pretty state roads not to mention Natchez Trace and Blue Ridge Parkway. Another trip was Breckenridge to Lake Geneva, WI, around the southern part of Lake Michigan taking the Lake Express Ferry back to WI. That trip saw Rocky Mountain National Park, Crazy Horse Monument, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Badlands, Walls Drug, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. No interstate required though I'll admit that parts of the Dakotas, Nebraska and Iowa were, well pretty boring but easily doable on a 125-150cc scoot. Though you might want to carry some spare gas. Cross Nevada on US 50 or 6 and you better carry a couple of gallons of spare gas - yeah, did that too from San Luis Obispo through Monterey over through Yosemite. Crossing Nevada on a small scoot is quite possible but there are a few hundred miles of the same type view without any place to stop for food or gas unless you brought it with you then it would be on the side of the road somewhere. There are a few abandoned business/ghost towns with places you can safely get off the road for a break with those consumables you carry. Heck, most of the time you could stop in the middle of the road and have your snack/add gas without anyone appearing before you are finished.

I use Google Maps - avoid highways option to set my basic routes but I'm usually flexible enough that I'll make changes on the fly as appropriate. When time is no issue I've often just set a general direction route on state highways and adjusted as necessary along the way.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #81
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post

That looks like a good one. Might give it a try. (when it is cooler). I have found ways to get to a number of places in AZ by going the long way around, sometimes almost doubling the mileage. (not a problem, it's supposed to be a trip) but some of them still put you on the freeway for a short distance. For example, I couldn't find a way from Chandler to Yuma without getting on the freeway for 11 miles east of Quartzite. But I think my Zuma 125 may be freeway legal in AZ. It has more than 5 hp.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #82
Underboning
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That looks like a good one. Might give it a try. (when it is cooler). I have found ways to get to a number of places in AZ by going the long way around, sometimes almost doubling the mileage. (not a problem, it's supposed to be a trip) but some of them still put you on the freeway for a short distance. For example, I couldn't find a way from Chandler to Yuma without getting on the freeway for 11 miles east of Quartzite. But I think my Zuma 125 may be freeway legal in AZ. It has more than 5 hp.
Google Maps to the rescue! Chandler to Yuma with no Interstate, and 3 routes to choose from. Of course, it adds 95 miles (at least) to the trip! http://goo.gl/maps/8RcnF

One route even goes through Mexico!
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #83
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
"Google is your friend"

Thanks, UB. Methinks "paralysis by analysis" was setting in here.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #84
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Yes, thanks indeed. I think I am beginning to get the hang of this. I have never done it before. Most of my miles up until recently were on freeways.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #85
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251907#

My main claim to scooter touring experience. Please note in 1981 there was a national 55 mph speed limit so a P200 could keep up more or less, though freeways weren't much fun. I have ambitions to repeat the trip or something similar but this was my first motorcycle tour where I went light and planned very little.
My advice remains to travel light, enjoy riding and talk about it after you've done it, not before. Don't over think and ride more.
Cheers.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #86
ScooterDogMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeemer View Post
When I was 16 I rode a Lambretta 2 stroke, 3 (4?) speed handlebar shift, pedal rear brake scooter from Norfolk, VA, to Siren WI (just east of Minneapolis, MN). I rode due west to Indianapolis, then north. It was the adventure of my young life. This was in 1959, so there wasn't much of an Interstate, mostly 2 lane roads the whole way. Good thing too because that Lambretta had a high speed of maybe 55 going downhill with wind at my back.

I loved that old scooter, my brother inherited it when I went into the Navy; then the baby brother got it after that.

This was my 2nd bike, the 1st being a 50 cc moped. After that I went through a couple Hondas, then settled on BMW boxers. Have done a lot of cross country on the beemers, but the Lambretta tour remains the high point of my touring memories.

Now, at 70, I'm going back full circle, back to a scooter again.
Awesome story! What direction is your riding going to take now?
2010 Honda Elite 110
ScooterDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #87
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I still believe long distance touring on a modern small scooter is possible. They seem to have one major weak point, and that is the belt. Choose a quality scooter with a belt that can be fairly easily replaced beside the road, and the tools to do it with. Everything else should be almost completely reliable. There is nothing quite like that sinking feeling when you are cruising along in the middle of nowhere, and the engine starts to rev as the scooter slows down. Kind of like a flat tire when you have nothing to fix it with.