De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Good luck on the ride.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
Gaspesie

Nick's right about riding through the Matapedia Valley.As you carve through the curves on 132 you can watch anglers trying their luck at catching Atlantic salmon in the Matapedia River.You may have a difficult time getting a room from Mont Joli to Campbellton NB, as they get filled up this time of year quite early.There are two Tim Horton's in Campbellton NB and the best place to eat in New Richmond is Le Fin Gourmet.Check out the salmon museum in Cascapedia. Riding through the "Park ", on 299, as the locals refer to it, from Ste. Anne des Monts can be a lonely ride.Do not ride at night! Have fun.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #18
vanislejay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I edited the map a bit to show the two possible routes, one in blue, one in red. I'm a little confused, Nick and Woodgrain you guys seem to be saying opposite things. Unless I am misunderstanding the portion of the routes you are suggesting, or Woodgrain, possibly you looked at the map while I was in the middle of editing it? I messed it up for a little bit, I am still just figuring out how to modify saved maps on google maps.

The old map link still works, but here it is again to make it easier.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...85ab6d10&msa=0

We are actually going to be camping, so I'm not too worried about hotels.
vanislejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislejay View Post
I edited the map a bit to show the two possible routes, one in blue, one in red. I'm a little confused, Nick and Woodgrain you guys seem to be saying opposite things. Unless I am misunderstanding the portion of the routes you are suggesting, or Woodgrain, possibly you looked at the map while I was in the middle of editing it? I messed it up for a little bit, I am still just figuring out how to modify saved maps on google maps.

The old map link still works, but here it is again to make it easier.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...85ab6d10&msa=0

We are actually going to be camping, so I'm not too worried about hotels.
Yep - the red route is the one I meant as the most scenic and least traveled. I think I got the river's names transposed in my head. Good camping in Gaspesie National Park.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Electrics electrics electrics
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
I'll pack 'em, but don't be so sure about that. I limped about 30km home once with a string tied to my right leg at just the right angle to actuate the carb slide. It was a single carb bike though, and obviously not push/pull. If I had lost a clutch cable at the same time I would have looked like lord of the dance.

Yep, I had an opening cable break on my 900 Z-1 Kawasaki while out of state. I pulled the tank of, which on these bikes you can do in about 30 seconds with no tools, and with acsess to the throttle linkage,I took the closeing cable and attached it to the opening side.
I rode into town that way to meet friends and unable to find a new cable I later switched the closing cable to the opening side of the hand throttle. When I did the rig on the side of the road I was opening the throttle by rolling it away from me. Try that sometime for a mind bender.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
I guess it comes down to personal preference. If you're going through the "Park' pack a lunch as they say. If you decide to ride down the Matapedia Valley there are more places for food, gas etc. Either route will be enjoyable.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
More_Miles
über-n00b

Oddometer: 312
A) Do you trust your bike?
B) Do you trust your own ability to cope and improvise?

If the answer to these is yes, then pack and go!

I took my '83 BMW south a couple years ago. Only problem I had was that sickening feeling of a clutch cable breaking 50% of it's strands! Nursed it into a town, found a library and got on here with a shout out for anyone in the area who had or could recommend where to get a spare. Made a couple new friends on that trip. By the way, I started in NB, Canada and at one point ended up in northern Georgia!

I see you're striking out from Montreal. If you want some peace of mind, get the mid level CAA coverage. They will tow a motorcycle up to 200 km. Might not get you home but should get you someplace you can get fixed up or abort and transit home.

And I'll second the Matapedia valley (through Amqui and onto Matapedia) and the 299 through the park. I was up there in April camping on the bike. I didn't much care for running along the coast(s). Unless I can be on the water it holds no lasting interest for me. Riding through the mountains and valleys now, that's something!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #24
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,362
cables are always worth having spare. and you don't need to pack them. Just buy new cables, fit the new cables, but leave the old cables in place, that way they are ready to fit if you have a cable break. cover the ends of the old cables with some cloth, and tape them up to keep the dirt out.
This way you only have to reconnect the cable, if you have a break
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I bought one bike that was almost new, and used it myself for about 20 years. Now unregistered, it is being used off road. The other bikes I have owned have all been several years old, but all have been OK for long trips.

I wouldn't do a long trip on an old bike just after i have bought it. It is better to use them for a bit, and get anything that might be dodgy put right. After that it is just a matter of keeping up the routine maintenance, and doing any preventative or remedial work as needs arise. Thus I feel confident in the bike for any journey.

Before a long trip I'll do an oil change, and give the bike a general once over.... get anything that might need attention sorted, and the bike is good to go.

For myself, I don't plan too much. I just have a few objectives (not too many), then head off to see what the adventure brings. I travel daily light, with just basic tools and a puncture repair outfit, rain gear, and a couple or three changes of clothes. Don't burden yourself down with spares you are unlikely to need. Any other gear depends on the nature and purpose of the trip, but in essence "less is more".
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #26
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,992
Old bikes can be just as reliable if you go through it and check out wear items. They do have weak charging systems, so make sure they are up to snuff. I'd apply die-electric grease to every contact to seal out water at the connections. Have a safe trip. Check out Anna's RR.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I bought my 1982 Suzuki GS850G two years ago last February with the intention of taking it loon long trips. It was my first bike after a 20 year absence and nostalgia got the better of my good sense. I can safely say that theirs nary a screw, bolt or nut on this bike that hasn't been touched by me at this point including a complete engine tear down. Seriously a mechanical restoration, I quit keeping track of the finances early on and am afraid to look. But I now have a very sweet ride that I can and do take anywhere I please in total confidence.

That's the great part about doing the work yourself, intimate knowledge of your ride. Along with a few additionts to the basic tool kit plus a pocket multi tool, a Qtip, paper clitp and duct tape I can pretty much fix anything that would strand me. I do carry an extra throttle and clutch cable, a spare headlight and tire pump and plugs.

There's something about taking an old bike on the road. People love to talk about them and there a great conversation starter. Been on several 1000 plus rides on the "Zook" already and planning one to Tyler TX from my home in PHX in October.

It certainly isn't as comfy a ride as the Beemer but when I get on it I'm thirty years younger......

1982 Suzuki GS850G The "Zook"
2000 BMW R1100RT
bbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Eh?

Looks like others have already told you what you need to know; proper maintenance before the trip, design flaws ( if any) worked out ahead of time...
Bring essential spares, inner tubes, ignition coil, capacitor (condenser), points...

I've been taking a 500-1000 mile annual trip for 8 years now, along with two good friends on our 1950's and 60's BMW's, and while there have been a few issues (never with mine, knock on wood), we've almost always got them home under thier own power. (Backup plan is a good idea)

(And the two real faiures were preventable had we brought the proper spares alomg in the first place; lessoms learned!)

caponerd screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 09:34 PM
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
vanislejay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I've been out of town a lot since I started this post, but I am planning on leaving next Sunday and I am going to get the electrics etc. sorted out this weekend. Also I am going to try to fit my hard bags from by Guzzi onto it. I have a bunch of good 1"x1/4" steel bar to make brackets from so it should work out. I am getting a fresh set of tires on Monday so I should be able to have close to 200km on them to get rid of that slippery coating before leaving on the trip.

The bike has been running great so I am pretty confident overall, and even my wife has said she doesn't care if the bike brakes down. Although she has plenty of experience with waiting at the roadside while I Macguyver/fix things.

I am starting to get really excited.
vanislejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
I've been out of town a lot since I started this post, but I am planning on leaving next Sunday and I am going to get the electrics etc. sorted out this weekend. Also I am going to try to fit my hard bags from by Guzzi onto it. I have a bunch of good 1"x1/4" steel bar to make brackets from so it should work out. I am getting a fresh set of tires on Monday so I should be able to have close to 200km on them to get rid of that slippery coating before leaving on the trip.

The bike has been running great so I am pretty confident overall, and even my wife has said she doesn't care if the bike brakes down. Although she has plenty of experience with waiting at the roadside while I Macguyver/fix things.

I am starting to get really excited.
Suggestions:
a) loctite the fasteners for your bags
b) every time you stop, check for vibration damage of the brackets
c) take a few good, strong, zip ties - its amazing what you can fix with those, but mostly,
d) have a great time!
e) let us know how it goes....

Nick

PS - it's 'breaks' down, not 'brakes' down (those are on your bike)!
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote