Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Coming from map source, I find Basecamp difficult to use, as it pertains to routing. In map source, you could click and lay down some waypoints between your start point and end point. Then, if you wanted to change any portion of the route, between waypoints, you could easily grab and drag the route line to wherever you wanted it.

With Basecamp, you enter the beginning and ending waypoints and then drag those into the auto routing box. I have no problem with that. For simple a to b routing its fine. However, the problem is that, even if you added multiple waypoints between A and B, you can't just drag and change the route for a particular section, without having the auto route change the rest of the route.

It's very frustrating. Perhaps I just don't know how to do it.... Any comments or advice?
Why not use Google Maps to do the heavy lifting then drag and customize your route from there.. you can then convert it to gpx and use BC to export it to the device.
I'm assuming you're using a Garmin since you're using Basecamp.

Custom routing (dragging the route line around) doesnt work too well on offroad maps in GM since it needs existing/mapped roads to work from. Forest service roads are usually charted in GM but lots of the spur and connector roads are not.
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
Why not use Google Maps to do the heavy lifting then drag and customize your route from there.. you can then convert it to gpx and use BC to export it to the device.
Because the conversion to gpx is a pia...and...it never converts perfectly. Has to be recalculated and tweaked .
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Because the conversion to gpx is a pia...and...it never converts perfectly. Has to be recalculated and tweaked .
I don't advocate using Google Maps "instead of" BaseCamp but I do use GM on occasion. It is easier these days to transfer GM data to BaseCamp. Just open your "My Places" and select your route. There should be an option to save it as a KML file.

BaseCamp can import KML/KMZ files as TRACKS. If you think they follow roads that are on your installed map, you can create a Route from the Track with two clicks. Not such a PIA....

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Coming from map source, I find Basecamp difficult to use, as it pertains to routing. In map source, you could click and lay down some waypoints between your start point and end point. Then, if you wanted to change any portion of the route, between waypoints, you could easily grab and drag the route line to wherever you wanted it.

With Basecamp, you enter the beginning and ending waypoints and then drag those into the auto routing box. I have no problem with that. For simple a to b routing its fine. However, the problem is that, even if you added multiple waypoints between A and B, you can't just drag and change the route for a particular section, without having the auto route change the rest of the route.

It's very frustrating. Perhaps I just don't know how to do it.... Any comments or advice?
Once you figure out where the route modify tool bar is and how to use it, base camp routes and modifies routes very similarly to Mapsource. Better in some ways and not quite as nice others ways.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
I do tracks with BaseCamp, no routes yet. I've found advantages, and real dangers with BC.

An advantage is the ability to toggle instantly between different tracks across the same area to compare them; or to compare tracks that have been edited down with the original.

If I understand correctly how BC works, it is a database, and the data seems to be shared among relevant tracks. A danger lies in making a change to a specific track that unintentionally takes effect globally, in every track that shares the same data.

One has to be careful in assuring that changes are done solely to the track they're supposed to occur in. Even just changing the name of a track can have consequences that ripple through other "lists," as BC calls them.

I think.
You can choose to delete or edit waypoints, tracks and routes globally or only the list you are working on... There is a British sounding guy on YouTube that has some good tutorials.