ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 885
2011 Ural Patrol Value?

I have found a 2011 Patrol for sale locally. 3k "miles" (not sure if he did the conversion or is just reading the odo). Blue/white and looks to be in good condition. Original owner, claims dealer-serviced.

What is it worth?

KBB shows the following:
Trade: $6900
Retail: $9800

He wants significantly more than that. Generally I like to be about halfway between the trade and retail value when buying motorcycles from private parties. I NEVER like to spend over retail, God forbid something happen to the bike (accident/theft/etc) where an insurance claim is made. I'd INSTANTLY lose the value I "overpaid" on the settlement.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
CCjon
HighHorse Rider
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Under the Texas Sun
Oddometer: 534
What's it worth?

There are several questions to ask:

1. Does he have the service records from the dealer?
2. Are there any add-ons, of value?
3. When does the warranty run out? VIP question.
4. What mods or upgrades if any, has he done?
5. Any extra parts, tires, filters, plugs, etc with it?


If you are not familiar with Urals, try to find someone in your area to take a look at it with you. Ask here or on Soviet Steeds.

Good luck. THere are bargains and there are overpriced used rigs out there. Look at each one individually.
__________________
C2C US50 - Cross Country Ural Ride
http://ccjon.blogspot.com

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer
 
tattoogunman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I have found a 2011 Patrol for sale locally. 3k "miles" (not sure if he did the conversion or is just reading the odo). Blue/white and looks to be in good condition. Original owner, claims dealer-serviced.

What is it worth?

KBB shows the following:
Trade: $6900
Retail: $9800

He wants significantly more than that. Generally I like to be about halfway between the trade and retail value when buying motorcycles from private parties. I NEVER like to spend over retail, God forbid something happen to the bike (accident/theft/etc) where an insurance claim is made. I'd INSTANTLY lose the value I "overpaid" on the settlement.

ac
I looked at Urals for years before I finally found me. One thing that was very readily apparent from the beginning was that they were either really cheap or the person selling it wanted near new money for a used rig. I saw people selling 99-2002 models for close to $10K and then someone s8000 - prices are all over the place. With their increased popularity, I've seen used prices tick up a bit.

I've had people tell me that an unofficial guide to use for these bikes is to subtract $1000 from the year of the bike - so a 2011 should probably be no more than about $10K. I picked up my 08 Gear Up with a TON of extras (two complete sets of tubes and tires, fairing, owner manual, service manual, yellow book, three different tonneu covers, helmet, and a bunch of extra odds and ins) for $7500 and it had around 7500km on it.

Here's my two cents worth and that's about it - what was said above is important to make sure it has been taken care of. A well sorted and cared for rig is worth more than the one someone parked in their backyard for the last few years. I think $10K is probably the most I would have paid for a used one, regardless of year. You can get a new one for that price and for a few more you can get a new Gear Up, Patrol, etc. It's also whatever you feel it is worth and what you feel comfortable with. It's also recommended to try and go with an 07 or higher due to the upgrades.

For what it's worth
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 885
Here is the link to the for sale ad.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/3891172255.html

I've spoken to the seller a bit. I made him an offer that I knew was too low in his opinion, but it was a starting point I was willing to spend.

I've seen deals pop up here and there, but none have been close to home. With a newborn, fly and ride just isn't practical for me. It is easier for me to just keep waiting. I don't NEED the Ural right now.

The seller says he has dealer maintenance records. I assume from Xtreme Machines. I see no accessories, mods or spare parts listed. Not sure about the warranty. I thought they were 2 years? So at 2011, if there is any left it won't be much.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer
 
tattoogunman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Here is the link to the for sale ad.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/3891172255.html

I've spoken to the seller a bit. I made him an offer that I knew was too low in his opinion, but it was a starting point I was willing to spend.

I've seen deals pop up here and there, but none have been close to home. With a newborn, fly and ride just isn't practical for me. It is easier for me to just keep waiting. I don't NEED the Ural right now.

The seller says he has dealer maintenance records. I assume from Xtreme Machines. I see no accessories, mods or spare parts listed. Not sure about the warranty. I thought they were 2 years? So at 2011, if there is any left it won't be much.

ac
Ah, that was the exact same one I had tried to buy a while back and looked at it several times at my dealer. That one was around $15K new (or at least that was what my dealer was selling it for). I'd say for a 2011 with that paint job, $10,9K isn't too bad since it's only two years old, but you can find a better deal on an older bike. I also had the same problem you did - every time I would find one in my price range, it would be in Paraguay or something
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
Ah, that was the exact same one I had tried to buy a while back and looked at it several times at my dealer. That one was around $15K new (or at least that was what my dealer was selling it for). I'd say for a 2011 with that paint job, $10,9K isn't too bad since it's only two years old, but you can find a better deal on an older bike. I also had the same problem you did - every time I would find one in my price range, it would be in Paraguay or something
What I find online shows that bike should have been ~$13.5k new in 2011. I realize there is tax, but I will have to pay that on the used bike. I assume there are setup fees and other paperwork BS at the dealers.

The color scheme, although very pretty, isn't exactly what I think of when I think "Ural". I don't really understand this rig. The 2WD screams take me anywhere, splash me through mud and bounce me off rocks. The paint screams polish me, show me off at bike night. It seems conflicted.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,342
Figure out exactly what your budget is and what gizmo's the rig needs to have.

be patient...the rigs will come available.

I was pretty set on a Gear Up and finally found a good deal on a Patrol.

I wish I had bought one years ago

__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
davebig
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,330
I'm always tempted to call such listings and say " I thought you wanted to sell it ?" WTF did you list it for if it's not for sale, and pristine is not a adjective used with Urals.Its a durable utilitarian sidecar rig ! Offer him the most you'd pay and give him your number.DB
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I'm always tempted to call such listings and say " I thought you wanted to sell it ?" WTF did you list it for if it's not for sale, and pristine is not a adjective used with Urals.Its a durable utilitarian sidecar rig ! Offer him the most you'd pay and give him your number.DB
Please call. Maybe you can talk him to reality and help me get my first Ural! LOL

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,684
I've got a buddy who's wife wanted him to get rid of some of his "toys". His solution was to price everything high so it wouldn't sell. The wife was happy it was for sale and he was still using his toys!!!
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
norton(kel)
vintage
 
norton(kel)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: berthoud,colo.
Oddometer: 885
Make an appointment to go see it. Take a big wad of 20's and make sure his wife sees the cash
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Make an appointment to go see it. Take a big wad of 20's and make sure his wife sees the cash
I'm pretty sure after my offer he won't talk to me any more. LOL

My grandmother always told me "Negotiate your first offer, it is usually your best and might be the only one you ever get."

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer
 
tattoogunman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
What I find online shows that bike should have been ~$13.5k new in 2011. I realize there is tax, but I will have to pay that on the used bike. I assume there are setup fees and other paperwork BS at the dealers.

The color scheme, although very pretty, isn't exactly what I think of when I think "Ural". I don't really understand this rig. The 2WD screams take me anywhere, splash me through mud and bounce me off rocks. The paint screams polish me, show me off at bike night. It seems conflicted.

ac
Yeah, I'm with you on the paint scheme. Ural is generally thought of as being dirty and scratched. The blue/white and orange/white ones sort of scream "wash and wax me please"

Just look around, I routinely see them for $8K or thereabouts and those are usually for pretty good ones. It took me a while to find mine, but it turned up eventually. I drove a bit over 500 miles to get it though, it wasn't local. Keep looking
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on the paint scheme. Ural is generally thought of as being dirty and scratched. The blue/white and orange/white ones sort of scream "wash and wax me please"

Just look around, I routinely see them for $8K or thereabouts and those are usually for pretty good ones. It took me a while to find mine, but it turned up eventually. I drove a bit over 500 miles to get it though, it wasn't local. Keep looking
I plan to keep looking. I WANT the next bike I buy to be fly and ride anyway. I just can't do it right now that way.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014