Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #211
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,687
Damn nice work there, I have enjoyed following in your builds and modifications! Enjoy your travels and be careful!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #212
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
It has been a great time to build, plans for the future:

18" rear
Chain guide
Chain guard
HID conversion?
Mosfett rectifier

runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #213
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,687
Don't forget the snorkel!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #214
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Ha! I hit something a little worse than that in VA near King George..... I was super soaked from that as I had to walk it through, was a bit deeper than expected, didn't kill it though but a snorkel would have made me feel better.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #215
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Last thing for now...

Put the Scotts risers and damper on this evening. I have only used push rod style steering dampers in the past so this will be interesting. I like it so far (only drove around the block). Time will tell

Photobucket
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #216
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I cannot believe I rode this long without the Scotts damper! That thing is awesome! This truly locked in the front wheel at highway speeds! I didn't get much over 70mph but it felt sooooooo much better than before with the TKCs on.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #217
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

So I am pretty cheap and wanted some larger footpegs so I made my own
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #218
txtallywhacker
screw schedules

Oddometer: 108
nice

i spend 21 weeks at a composite repair school (free for me, compliments of department of homeland security). everything from pre preg every day paneling to layering repairs on rotor blades in the field to radar absorbing repairs using heat blankets and vacuum motors ran off generators out on the ramp. i gotta say yall do some dang nice work for a couple garage school grads. do either of you orient the weave at all? the strongest is 45 the weave each layer till you get your thickness, then 90 the last two layers. other then that, looking good.
txtallywhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #219
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,921
To anyone that has removed the low front fender on their GS800.......

If you want to sell it, please PM me.....
Old 07-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #220
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtallywhacker View Post
i spend 21 weeks at a composite repair school (free for me, compliments of department of homeland security). everything from pre preg every day paneling to layering repairs on rotor blades in the field to radar absorbing repairs using heat blankets and vacuum motors ran off generators out on the ramp. i gotta say yall do some dang nice work for a couple garage school grads. do either of you orient the weave at all? the strongest is 45 the weave each layer till you get your thickness, then 90 the last two layers. other then that, looking good.
Since I run 2x2 twill I usually run the inner and outer layer oriented to the degree or angle I want then I run everything between altering 45 like you mentioned. I am by far just tooling around, Erling actually did this professionally, and is much more knowledgable.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #221
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Since I run 2x2 twill I usually run the inner and outer layer oriented to the degree or angle I want then I run everything between altering 45 like you mentioned. I am by far just tooling around, Erling actually did this professionally, and is much more knowledgable.
There is no need for any particular fiber orientation in this app. Now if you were making a rear swing arm, or front triple, then we would need to pay attention to not just fiber orientation, but also a mix ow different weaves along with the 2x2. That is not to say you would not achieve about 10-20% more rigidity..... But as I am sure you have noticed, it is plenty stiff, as is....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #222
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I guess I'm one of the few that like the look of the beak, but hate the hugger fender...

I was thinking a few weeks ago about swapping a KTM fender on my bike, but was unsure how I'd like the look of the beak being gone.

Even considered cutting the front of the fender down so I would just have the rear and keeping the beak.

Looking at your pics though, I think it looks pretty damn good. I may just give up the beak after all.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #223
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Check out the build, I relocated the horn and used a piece of plate aluminum to get the KTM 690 fender as high as I could. Also you can use KX250 fork guards with some sheet metal and ingenuity. To fill the void where the beak was you can use a variety of substances. Something flat and strong works fine. Some people have used sheet metal, I just made a carbon fiber sheet. The brake lines are up to you. If you go single rotor you will have increased demand on that system if you ride with a load etc... but with maintenance that is no big deal. So far I have put 6k miles on the system since I completed the build and nothing is showing any fatigue/wear.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #224
txtallywhacker
screw schedules

Oddometer: 108
i cant believe this shit is so strong it could make a swing arm. think about the forces that would exist where the shock mounts when you came down hard and bottomed out. on a rough guess how much would it weigh?
txtallywhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #225
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtallywhacker View Post
i cant believe this shit is so strong it could make a swing arm. think about the forces that would exist where the shock mounts when you came down hard and bottomed out. on a rough guess how much would it weigh?
It would be a special project for sure, but the weight savings would be some where along 50%, when you factor in the alloy bushings at contact points.... etc. Would be very noticeable as you are un-sprinning the motion by said fitty percent. You would need to pay extra attention to fiber selection, epoxy, and it's cure schedule, along with layup patterns,and all that jazz. Could be fun, but take a while..... Doable..... yes.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote