Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #16
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,492
well the embarrassment of putting the bike on a trailer and taking it an hour away to a bike mechanic, to fix what you did :-(

i dont think i will get out of this for under 1000 bucks
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able View Post
Not trying to highjack the thread but on autos I always use anti-seize in case I have to pull it apart later and have used it on some bikes. Is that a bad idea on bikes because of the vibrations?
The last place I'd use Loctite is on an exhaust stud! Anti-seize yes.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #18
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
well the embarrassment of putting the bike on a trailer and taking it an hour away to a bike mechanic, to fix what you did :-(

i dont think i will get out of this for under 1000 bucks
Take it to a good machine shop instead. They're used to performing small miracles to save ass. They'll have a tap and get you fixed right up.

Where are you?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
The last place I'd use Loctite is on an exhaust stud! Anti-seize yes.
+1, of course.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

[QUOTE=Benesesso;21815286]Take it to a good machine shop instead. They're used to performing small miracles to save ass. They'll have a tap and get you fixed right up.

Where are you?

the new england table lands. asking around im taking it to inverell motorcycles... somebody called turbo tuner at the bike shop there is apparently knowledgeable on these things...

maybe it will be a case of retaping the exhaust stud. and everything will be fine.

but i think if i put the original exhaust back on with its silly catalytic converter, with the stain tunes slip on that is. it wont be touched again..
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

pitty its behind the shock and frame, behind here somewhere.. somebody who has a metal shoulder, no nerves or feeling, and very little muscle in my left arm cant do.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Looks like the other one was leaking even more than that one.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able View Post
Looks like the other one was leaking even more than that one.
sure does, that one was worse as i could turn it around, well when i fix it, ill have the original extractors that fit proper, with loctight medium strength on it.. and new bolts and studs.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #25
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Studs are usually an interference fit in the head and thus difficult to install.

Never use a tap to clean threads,there are tools for that job.

I bet if you remove the subframe it will be easier access. And far cheaper than the shop is going to be.

Next time you remove an exhaust nut try dosing it with a good penterating oil for a day or so beforehand. Then the stud will remain where it belongs. I use BG In Force. When reinstalling I always use proper torque spec (corrected for a lubed fastener and typically inch-pounds) on a clean stud coated with anti-seize. Keeps over-tightening from bending the exhaust flange in the first place which is typically the reason for a leak.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

well, my arms was feeling pretty good today and my exhaust studs arrived. so i cleared the thread out with compressed air and then some rp7, double nutted the stud, and it gave me a bit of resistance at first, but then went in pretty smoothly, was being very gentle with it.

so the stud is back in now, just trying to find the torque valuse for it, ive got 12n, for the nut, but i cant find the stud in the manual...
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #27
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,048
I don't think you need to torque the stud. Run it in until it stops and your done.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I don't think you need to torque the stud. Run it in until it stops and your done.
+1 -- there willlikely NOT be a torque value for the stud -- as stated above, it is most likely an interference fit (as in the threads in the head and on the stud not QUITE matching, to prevent the stud from walking out of the head.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
+1 -- there willlikely NOT be a torque value for the stud -- as stated above, it is most likely an interference fit (as in the threads in the head and on the stud not QUITE matching, to prevent the stud from walking out of the head.
i supose it should of stayed in, if it had not been for the rod bending, and the nut on the end freezing on it, when undoing...
Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

well the bikes pretty much back together now. i did pop my shoulder out of its socket while doing the exhaust, u would think taking a bolt out of the pannier bracket, which goes through the exhaust loop, then into the frame would stay fairly still since its attached at a few other points. but nope, had to remove the topbox and pannier brackets, to put the bolt back in, and when your shifting and lifting to line things up, pop, out goes the shoulder. god it hurts so much.

got it all back together, lot of smoke coming off the cat, when you stop the motor still comes out the exhaust maybe a spider nest or something in it contaminating it or something. who knows. i took it off when i got the bike 2 years ago, and put the race headers on, so its just been sitting there...

but rode around teh back yard this arvo. seems to run fine, little ruff from sitting for the past 5 months,

only thing left is to find a bolt to put through the top fo the cat into a bracket, the race headers didnt have this. and put the side fairings back on.