Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #36421
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Sounds good to me. Next time I'm using SKF seals. It seems a lot of people recommend them and the seals I have in there now, are not doing the job..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #36422
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Doesn't anyone make side case covers for the WRR? Any good do it yourself solutions out there? I've searched but haven't seen anything. I'm going to have to quit falling over or get some better side protection, the moose plastic skid plate doesn't cover the side very well. Here's a picture of my little scratch covered up with JB weld. I might just get a flat plate & silicone it to the side.

Try a flatland skid plate. I think the ears come out farther. I have had to bend mine back with a large hammer to make them look good again.
But they do their job..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #36423
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
I have this rack (and seat) from seat concepts as well. Just to add, the rack I have is slightly different than the one pictured. The holes are countersunk, so the bolt heads lie flat. There is also only one set of pre-drilled holes for the rotopax mount, which align vertically, if that matters to anyone.

TexaNate, looks like a fun ride. Wish I owned a MC back when I lived in PA. The only thing I don't miss is the rain!
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #36424
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Remember those old photonegative film strips you'd get when
you had pictures developed? They make great fork seal cleaners
if you have any around and don't mind using them.
scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #36425
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Sounds good to me. Next time I'm using SKF seals. It seems a lot of people recommend them and the seals I have in there now, are not doing the job..
I've also heard good things about the SKF seals. They're supposed to last long and offer very low "stiction". The Pivot Works pack comes with a lifetime warranty against normal wear and tear - pretty nice if you find yourself blowing through seals a lot.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #36426
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I'm upgrading my travel tool kit so I won't have to raid my shop tools when out on a trip.
I normally carry 3-4-5 mm hex wrenches, any other sizes needed?

3 mm for the fuel pump
4 mm for the left mirror mount
5 mm for the side covers/exhaust shield

Anything else?
6mm for the shifter
Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #36427
Wieb27
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Had a great ride in Wabeno on Sunday and Monday. Met up with 2 others who also had the mighty WRr/x... technically I had the only R... Much thanks to ADWrider, and his bro Wieb27. My Bro-in-law and I met up with these guys on the slab, and pictured is the bikes where we first stopped to meet and greet.

rode most of the day with these guys back to the MX track South of Wabeno. Had some great fun with them along the way... Mud, woods and a bit of mis-direction along the way... more narrative...

I let some "jolly rogers" pass then I noticed 2 more bikes coming in the review. I notified my bro-in-law on his new (never used prior) blue-tooth com thingys that 2 dudes on Dualsports were approaching, we slowed, let them by and (eventually) they stopped where pictured. Chatted for a bit (I knew they were on ADV immediately when I saw them in the review) and rode the rest of the day.... (More or Less) and did some awesome riding through, well, basically every type of terrain.

Lessons of the trip.. Those blue-tooth things kick ass. No question now, (although I thought they were a bit girly prior to use) the other I already knew. If you see others on DS bikes in a known DS area, chances are they are on ADV (the 3rd largest special interest forum in the world) Stop and make a real world connection. Will you ever see them or ride with them again? Chances say no, but who cares, you have that moment to ride!

Hey, I sent you a PM shortly after. You must have missed it. I was one of the WR's that rode with you. I had the Warp9 18/21 set up on my X.

Was a great ride and we even found a little "moisture" which is always fun. Keep in touch!
Wieb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #36428
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,480
Nice write up Tejas Nate!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #36429
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
>"Next time I'm using SKF seals"

SKF bearings = good stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #36430
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,379
Grassman Dual Sport Ride video

Just trying to represent us blue guys in a sea of orange...of course not doing a very good job of it. :(

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #36431
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Alright, thanks for the noob questions. You guys are really helping.

Slowly working a deal on this bike.. $4K, and he'll remove the exhaust/header, and put the stock back on. I keep the exhaust/header for resale. Looks like I can run the programmer on a stock exhaust. Anybody running that? Any issues with that setup or should I also pull the programmer? I wasn't looking for a project. Am I opening a can of worms?

This bike, that is only about 40 miles away, is looking better and better.

Thanks for all the help.
Sent you a PM levain...
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #36432
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
6mm for the shifter
Thanks!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #36433
juun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Anyway, to business -

Before my trip I wanted to carry some some extra fuel. I ride my bike in the icky steep tight slippery stuff a lot so I really didn't want to add too much bulk with the IMS or Safari offerings and they're just too rich for my blood anyhow. I'm a cheap son of a gun with an unhealthy penchant for experimentation so I picked up this $69 rear rack from Seat Concepts. Any reason why nobody else has it? I tried searching. It's really solid, and I like it if you're looking for a cheap rear mounting solution.

Unless you have the same two bros exhaust... that's my bike! The rack came from nomadic racks but it looks like they might be the same company now. The original rack was steel but the new one is powder coated aluminum. The extra bolt holes are supposed to integrate with Rotopax fuel packs but I have not tested it yet. Great price on a rack and has held up to the ocean weather of SoCal.
juun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #36434
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
rear indicator lights

I broke one of the tabs on the rear indicators and I am not sure if I need to replace the whole thing yet.

Is it easy to unplug the rear indicator? Where is the other end of the connector? Under the fender?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #36435
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Way to go Indy Great job on a really tuff SOB course. I have lots of respect for a guy that's not afraid to show his down side as well as his up side This gives new meaning to the term Barkbusters
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote