Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
New Basecamp Import problem

I had to use Basecamp for something yesterday and ended up installing the new version.

I hadn't used it in a few months and wanted to import some gdb files I had created in Mapsource.

Every time I tried the import, Basecamp put the new files in the wrong directory. At first I thought I was doind something wrong.

I selected the folder I wanted, selected Import to "folder", selected the file and Basecamp seemed to be importing it. But it never showed up in the directory I selected.

This happened about 4 times.

After searching around I found that all the files had been placed in the last folder in my folder list.

Now that I know what is going on I can handle it.

I did a brief search of the long new Basecamp thread but did not see anyone else having this problem.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Same here - almost

I am new to Basecamp and I see almost the same thing. (Latest version of Basecamp (4.2.1), Windows 7)

If I remember correctly it is creating a new List in my Collection and directing the imported files there. I then move the files to the List originally intended, and delete the newly created List.

I guess this is not exactly accurate, since the files are not actually located in said Folder/List, but actually in a database.

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175

DabsAlot screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 11:44 AM
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
At least you can import. The Import option in the File dropdown doesn't work at all for me.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin74Q View Post
At least you can import. The Import option in the File dropdown doesn't work at all for me.
I found I had to Select a folder first to get the File menu to ungray the Import command. Of course as I noted it placed the file in the wrong folder.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I found I had to Select a folder first to get the File menu to ungray the Import command. Of course as I noted it placed the file in the wrong folder.
I also had a similar thing happen except I'm running Basecamp version 4.2.2. On several occasions it created a new list with the identical name as the list I was attempting to import into, similar to what the OP reported. It attached the new list at the root level. See photo for clarification. I'm referring to the list named "Europe 2013 temp" list. The GPX file I imported is contained in the second list.

Moreover, several files won't import no matter what I do. I tried both GDB and GPX files and got the same results. All the files I've used open normally inside of Mapsource.

Has anybody else seen this behavior or know of a fix?

AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDave View Post
I also had a similar thing happen except I'm running Basecamp version 4.2.2. On several occasions it created a new list with the identical name as the list I was attempting to import into, similar to what the OP reported. It attached the new list at the root level. See photo for clarification. I'm referring to the list named "Europe 2013 temp" list. The GPX file I imported is contained in the second list.

Moreover, several files won't import no matter what I do. I tried both GDB and GPX files and got the same results. All the files I've used open normally inside of Mapsource.

Has anybody else seen this behavior or know of a fix?

Note: I just learned that Garmin is aware of this problem, that it's been around for several s/w releases and that it's slated to be fixed in Basecamp 4.3, whenever that is released.

My respect for the Garmin software team has dropped another notch from an already low level with this latest fiasco. Whatever can they be thinking when they leave somethingl ike this hang around through two releases?
AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Note: I just learned that Garmin is aware of this problem, that it's been around for several s/w releases and that it's slated to be fixed in Basecamp 4.3, whenever that is released.

My respect for the Garmin software team has dropped another notch from an already low level with this latest fiasco. Whatever can they be thinking when they leave somethingl ike this hang around through two releases?
thanks for the info on the fix. I too also have the problem with 4.2.2. I thought it was such an obvious problem that it would be fixed in 4.2.2.

FWIW as a software engineer I believe BaseCamp for the PC needs to be completely redesigned using modern design principles. It has all the feel of code that has just been thrown together with no consideration for performance.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,131
If you had a Mac you wouldn't have THAT problem - we don't get to direct our Imports. They go where Garmin wants them to go - a separate "Recently Imported from xxxxxx.gpx" List in My Collection.

I haven't decided yet if I like this or hate this. I guess that would mean I don't have an opinion...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you had a Mac you wouldn't have THAT problem - we don't get to direct our Imports. They go where Garmin wants them to go - a separate "Recently Imported from xxxxxx.gpx" List in My Collection.

I haven't decided yet if I like this or hate this. I guess that would mean I don't have an opinion...
Doesn't bother me, once I import it, I edit it the way I want it, rename it then drag it into the list folder I want it in.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Sounds like Garmin might have really been trying to implement that on the PC version.

Another thing that doesn't work is the Send To function for lists. If I try to send the mispositioned list directly to the folder I want. I get a message asking what list I want to send this list to.

I haven't tried selecting one. I just give up and drag it. But my folder hierarchy is pretty big, so dragging can often be tedious.

After playing around with Send To I found I could enter a new list name and Basecamp would make a copy of the imported list in the List Folder I wanted. I deleted the original after the copy. I tried a Cut and Paste, but Basecamp still made me enter a new List name.

wbbnm screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 03:55 PM
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Norwood
2WBMW

Oddometer: 107
Reading this thread reminded me or an error I experienced...on my part..

If you Filter at the very bottom left corner is marked for Routes...you will only see the routes in the data window... likewise if clicked on Waypoints you will not see routes, only waypoints...in the data window...

Make use the "select all data" icon is clicked to show all the data.

Hope this helps!
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
I ran out of notches on the low end a long time ago! I had to change the scale to read from zero to zero, now they never dissapoint. Hardware is fantastic. Wish it was open system like PC and cell phones, bet the free market could develop some fantastic Firmware overnight.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I ran out of notches on the low end a long time ago! I had to change the scale to read from zero to zero, now they never dissapoint. Hardware is fantastic. Wish it was open system like PC and cell phones, bet the free market could develop some fantastic Firmware overnight.
If you want to see what the "free market could develop", buy an android phone/tablet and install OsmAnd. It is an open source navigation app running on an open source OS using open source map data. If you don't like what you see or you want to make something better, you can write the code to change it and submit it to the ORG.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote