User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Make a Gear security cable step-by-step walk thru

The intent of the thread is to outline a step-by-step fabrication of a security cable which will be used to cable secure the following items to my Vespa GTS 250ie:
1. Operator Armor pant
2. Operator Armor Jacket
3. Operator flip-up helmet
4. Passenger Armor pant
5. Passenger Armor Jacket
6. Passenger flip-up helmet
There have been situations where I would like to leave my scooter outerwear on the scooter, but have been forced to keep the items on person for fear of theft. This mod will allow some sense of security for those items (mine and wifey's) while away from scooter. The goal was to fabricate a custom security cable system with the following features:
1. keyless
2. vinyl coated as to protect the Vespa's finish
3. Easy to use, no hassle to connect/disconnect
4. Small and not take up much space
5. Can be used by single user.
6. Act as a visual deterrent for thievery

cable used, 1/8 inch vinyl coated braded steel core- All items were purchased at Lowe's hardware (except for the footman loops)

cable clip (need 2x)

Ferrule and stop, larger size (3/16) as to accommodate the 1/8 cable sleeve, need 2x of these

marine grade stainless steel footman loop, need 1x of these, need to mount this first

will mount here in pet carrier

the footman loop does not fit the contour of the pet carrier, so need to persuade it a bit

couple whacks

butt's up to the carrier fine now

center, mark and drill

light deburr with csk tool

bolt footman loop on

a 4mm flush head bolt, a protruding head bolt would likely contact the pet carrier sill on installation

need to check length of cable needed, mock up system with string first

connect to footman loop

need to thread on all these items (one side)

thread on armor pant

helmet and jacket

cinch all items up and thread string thru bag carrier

repeat opposite side with wifey's items

check string length needed, 7 foot total tip-to-tip

cut cable to size of 7 ft total, use hack saw and vice

add stopper on end and squeeze in vice or smash with hammer

add anther stopper to keep end connector from sliding down the cable

add a ferrule connector at the 3.5 foot mark (mid-length of cable and splice in a small loop) this will attach to the bag carrier, help in attaching items, keeps the cable visible as a theft deterrent

squeeze ferrule to cable

finished cable

double side velcro

coil cable with velcro

start by attaching center loop to bag carrier

next jacket, back side out, best to thread thru both arms, as shown

then pant, the helmet last, wifey can be working on opposite side while I am on left side

seat shut and locked, no item is touching ground

drape Themoscud scooter skirt over all it, keep items out of rain, Termoscud not inflated

front view with Termoscud attached

cable attaches to footman loop

Observations of security cable:
1. meets the goals as outlined
2. easy to use, store and provides some degree of theft deterrent
3. The cable was pretty easy to saw thru, but then it was mounted in a vise.
4. nice to have wifey thread her items while I thread my items, makes for fast attachments
5. I can also just use as a solo attachment
6. Just not too much slack to keep items off ground
7. A nice addition to the pet carrier!
Enjoy
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
I have played some and made some stuff with the vinyl coated cable, those ferules and such too. Handy stuff. Reasonably priced and comes in different diameters. Even the rather thin stuff that is still coated is very strong. I would not use it on an ATV winch, but even the skinny stuff could be used to secure a jacket and helmet.

Great post.

I have a cable and lock that was store bought that I wind around the back-bracket of one pannier on trips. I have on occasion locked the bike to another bike, a pole, or cabled it up so the wheels would not turn.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I too have played with the vinyl coated cable. That's some nice work there, my only recommendation is to coat the cut cable ends with something, they are quite adept at making little snags and holes in you jacket. Plasti-dip worked for me. The only usable piece I kept from my projects was the custom fit pac-safe knock off I made for the rear rack. In the end, the cable I made for jacket and helmet securing was just not as utilitarian as a double loop ended bicycle cable and a padlock. I can lock up my gear as you have, run it through the wheels, lock it to a stationary object, or all of the above. My idea of bike security was forever changed the day two motivated gentlemen with a van literally picked up a friend's bike and drove off with it.
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Daymien,

Could you share a pic of that packsafe type security net you made sometime?

I can envision how some of that would go, but curious just the same about the many junctions and which hardware to use for them/those/that.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I have played some and made some stuff with the vinyl coated cable, those ferules and such too. Handy stuff. Reasonably priced and comes in different diameters. Even the rather thin stuff that is still coated is very strong. I would not use it on an ATV winch, but even the skinny stuff could be used to secure a jacket and helmet.

Great post.

I have a cable and lock that was store bought that I wind around the back-bracket of one pannier on trips. I have on occasion locked the bike to another bike, a pole, or cabled it up so the wheels would not turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Lee
Clever! That's definitely one way to keep your belongings from "flying away" with the "wind." My only suggestion is that I think the cable may be too thin, I've seen how easy it is to cut those, perhaps a thicker one may make it harder to cut?
Since I had much left over cable from the 50 foot spool, I attempted to cut the braided cable with common garage tools. This would provide some indication as to the effort and tools needed to defeat the cable system.

normal hand held wire cutters, just cuts the vinyl coating, not the wire under the coating.

hack saw, just twists with the translation motion of the blade. It will cut thru if the cable is prevented from rotation, by way of vise.

tin snips, not effective

big ass bolt cutters...well easiely cut the cable.

Observations:
1. more resistant to cutting cable than thought
2. better than nothing, as will act as a visual Durant for the grab and go thief
3. seems to be effective against pocket type tools

Enjoy!
Keithm
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-340...=pd_sbs_auto_2 and lock it via the helmet lock.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Yes this works but only keeps the honest people at bay. If I wanted your gear and that's the cable I was up against, a good pair of linemans pliers or a pair of 10" cable cutters would be all I need. Please don't think that cable is a cure all.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
Yes this works but only keeps the honest people at bay. If I wanted your gear and that's the cable I was up against, a good pair of linemans pliers or a pair of 10" cable cutters would be all I need. Please don't think that cable is a cure all.
A thicker cable would be be more difficult for a thief to cut thru. It is a trade off between cable storage volume, coiled cable size vs. increased level of theft durance. I suspect most folks would steal riding clothes and helmets if opportunity arose while walking by the scooter. Hopefully, viewing the cable would deter that "pick-up and go" crime.
Keithm
Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I've found it's not the cable that is the failure point on something lie that, it is the cable crimps. One good tug on the cable can be all it takes to pull the cable right back out of them.

I'll see if I can dig out the pacsafe thing. It's buried in storage, I generally find it too much trouble to deal with. Constructing it was pretty basic, and cheap. I used a thinner gauge cable than you have there, and a big bag of double crimp connectors(what you've used on your center ring). Lay a bunch of equal length sections of cable out parallel to each other, like so:

I I I I I

then make S shapes, and crimp where they touch each other. The hard part is prethreading all of the lines with the right amount of connectors. Finish each cable segment with a loop, and thread a single cable through all of the loops, and padlock it up.
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

So....I was thinking of more concept projects with the extra cable. This thread outlines the fabrication of a keyless quick on/off helmet lock. The locking restraint is provided by the seat latch lock on one side and the handlebar lock on the opposite side.

excess cable, about 20 foot used of the 50 foot spool

make a small loop that fits over the bar grip

thread cable thru ferrule end

squish ferrule in vise

size length of cable and make a small loop on opposite end

attach small end to pet carrier footman loop

thread thru helmet

thread loop end to right handle bar

turn handle bar to full left and lock handle bar with key

not enough slack to slide back over handle bar end, if steering lock is engaged.

pet carrier cable projects
1. Left = riding clothes cable
2. center = scooter tether cable
3. Right = operator quick helmet cable

enjoy!
keithm
Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Since I had excess cable, I am putting it to good use by fabricating a 10 foot tether type looped cable.

on hand materials

thread cable thru ferrule

make a loop

compress in vise or hit with hammer

after compression

size check

spool out 10 feet

attach end to fixed object

thru front, rear wheel, and/or Thermoscud

attach to under-seat footman loop

cable ends under seat or...

loop cable thru riding gear cable

riding gear connection to grocery hook modified to:
1. raise connect point
2. quick buckle connect
Grocery hook would sometime snap open when threading riding clothes, this eliminates the need to use the grocery hook loop

left cable, scooter lock, right cable riding clothes lock,

cables coiled in pet carrier

Note: the tether cable supplements a disc lock and steering lock. A comprise between lock/cable size and theft resistance
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
The last post reminds me of Pee Wee's big adventure when he wraps his bike in 500' of plastic chain
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

All very well concocted. Superb shop therapy project too.

I want you guys on my side when the zombies come.

Thanks to those that may have responded to my otherwise earlier request for, uhh, pics n such..
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
The last post reminds me of Pee Wee's big adventure when he wraps his bike in 500' of plastic chain