User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Ranger Ron OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Russell Day Long Recycle

This post isn't really a "how-to". It just shows the way I recycled a Russell Day Long seat from a V-Strom to a KLR.

Russell doesn't really make a completely new seat when you send yours in for a remake. They have an inventory of pre-made "Russell" inserts. These are the readily identifiable "Russell" tractor seat shaped seat sections with the wings. To make the RDL, a section is cut out of your seat and the Russell insert is grafted in. I imagine they have different sizes of inserts (small, medium, large?) for different sized posteriors.

When I sold my V-Strom, I kept the seat specifically for this project. Here's the seat originally on the V-Strom:

I cut the "Russell" section out of the seat. For this picture I set it back in place on the V-Strom pan.

I took the foam off of the KLR seat pan and set it aside. The next step was to locate the RDL insert on the KLR pan. You can see that here.

Probably the hardest part of the project (at least the most meticulous) was the forward foam section. This section had to match both the angle of the tongue on the RDL insert and the distance to the insert. Here's a (bad) pic of the front section glued to the pan. It's hard to see the black seat pan in the picture. The foam has been cut to fit the RDL insert. The insert fits on the foam piece where the two angles intersect about 2" down on the cut. The extra foam, both on the top and the sides of the section will be cut away and shaped to match the front of the insert.

That's been done. The seat is now ready for covering.

The V-Strom seat is larger than the KLR seat. Consequently, the seat cover is not an exact fit on the KLR, but still it came out reasonably well. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished project.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,202
Congratulations! It looks better on the KLR than it did on the Strom!
How's it work/feel?
HapHazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
ManiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
That is a phenomenal job right there. Well done!
ManiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Nice job.
And here i thought my RDL seat was made "special" for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Ranger Ron OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
HapHazard:
I just finished the job a couple of days ago and haven't ridden it enough to report much. I do know that the fore and aft position is good. What I'm not sure of yet is if the tilt (front/back) is optimal. I think it is, but only a number of hours in the seat will tell.

Ron
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Really nice looking job. I am glad you were able to recycle. The RDL can be pretty spendy and it is good to know that it's possible to move the seat to a new bike.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,435
Sweet, nice job!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,239
That turned out much better than I pictured it would.

Seeing the Russell torn apart was surprising. I expected something different. It looks like they just modeled an old tractor seat into foam, then when they get your seat they cut a chunk of foam out and glue their seat in. It works, I was just expecting more considering the price point. Even still though I love my russell. Wish I could afford to put one on every bike I own.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
I'm having a Russell built for me next month. After seeing this I'm a little less impressed with Russell. I though for sure it was a totally custom job. Not just throwing a prefabricated seat into the cut out foam of your current seat. No wonder Russell makes you send in your seat pan. But after the negative thoughts and all they must still do something right cause you never hear anyone complain about their seats. I'm still going to have mine built. I've owned Corbins, Sargents, Mayers and always wanted to try a Russell so I'm gonna do it. Maybe I will be their first dissatisfied customer. But for some reason I don't think I will be disappointed..
lacofdfireman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

^

Mine is stupidly comfortable, but I thought the same thing you did when I saw this thread.

Do me a favor if you don't mind and let us know what you think. I want to get a Rick Mayer on my V-strom, mainly because it's cheaper and doesn't have the wings. I'm curious how it feels compared to a Russell. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Ranger Ron OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
^

Mine is stupidly comfortable, but I thought the same thing you did when I saw this thread.

Do me a favor if you don't mind and let us know what you think. I want to get a Rick Mayer on my V-strom, mainly because it's cheaper and doesn't have the wings. I'm curious how it feels compared to a Russell. Thanks.
I'm not lacofdfireman, but I'll comment anyway.

I had a Rocky Mayer on my 2001 KLR. It was smaller than a
Russell and didn't have the springs (neither does a Rick mayer). It had other issues, but still was pretty comfortable. Maybe not as much as a Russell, but what is?

I put a Rick Mayer on a 2004 Concours. It was worse for me than the oem seat. I sold it with the bike.

Both Mayers and Russell all use the same construction system. They patch pre-formed modules into your seat frame.

Ron
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks ranger ron.

I'm not in a big hurry right now. It's been too cold for a long day, so I'm not positive how the stock seat really is at the end of the day. Plus it probably feels harder from the cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I take it that yours did not come with the spring that they have for heavier riders? Wonder how that is made into the seat. You know seeing this gives me some ideas.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Ranger Ron OP
Studly Adventurer

It has the spring. Here is the bottom of the insert looking from the rear.

You can see the spring peeking out under the burlap and sheet metal cover.

You can also see where I had to remove some foam for clearance of some of the KLR seat pan protrusions.

Ron