ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Catchinup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Garmin GPSMAPS 62sc v Montana

I am looking at buying a GPS for my bike. I like the ruggedised look of the 62sc but the montana I could use in my 4wd as well. You guys have any preferences.
Catchinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Micl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Gps

Hi guys

I was using the 62 for a number of years and it works well. The issue I find with the small GPS units is its hard to plan. If you hit a locked gate and need a plan b it is really hard to plan a different route. If you zoom out enough to get the big picture of where you are going the tracks disappear. If you are on a view where you can see tracks it's hard to scroll and see where the tracks go to any distance.

My eye site is also not getting any better making it hard to see the small screen.

I have a new idea, would be interested to see if anyone else has tried. Plan is to use my iPad with hema maps or mud maps. I have it in a griffin defender case and it seems to be pretty solid. I use it for MTB coaching for doing video etc so it spends a lot of time being bashed around and has coped well. Plan is to get a RAM mount that will hold it in the case( they are available) and it more or less fits behind the screen of the 640adv. Wouldn't be keen to use it if really pissing down but can always put it in my bag or hide in my tent if that happens ;) should handle general dust and splashes ok... This means I can actually see the map and can use the iTunes screen to play music etc back through the headset and of course check ADV forum when stopped

Any one else tried this...

Mic
Micl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
GazzaFish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Never used the montana but had a 62sc for a couple years before it got stolen. I loved it. really felt like it was the right tool for the job. I used to plan my route on google maps and then upload it to the GPS. Worked perfectly and was even good to read in direct sunlight. I loved it. Recommended
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
I went from a 60 csx to a Montana last Christmas. Won't go back. The Montana isn't much bigger physically, but because its touch screen, is a much bigger display, and its brighter and can be read in all light conditions. And you loose very little detail when zooming out. The only negative is that its ultimately less durable because of the touch screen, but allied with a rugged mount on the bike, or windscreen mount for the car with Basecamp and Aus NZ Topo v4 its a terrific combination, recommended.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Catchinup OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. Didn't realise this forum was here. Got a lot of reading to do. I originally started looking at $100 dollar GPSs I am now considering a $700 package. How did this happen?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Light reading and links to more here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775
Old 06-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
Haven't had a 60 series - but have used a 72C in Asia, and the Montana. First Montana lasted a day and a half on Cape York... got several months out of the second one.... have only used the third for a few days and can't find it now. The touch screen isn't exactly a strong point.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Catchinup OP
Adventurer

Decided to go with the Garmin 62sc. It seemed tougher than the Montana. Hopefully it will last. Fitted it to my KLRs handle bars using Ram mounts. Its pretty solid.
Attached Images

Catchinup screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 12:33 AM
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Adenco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Catchinup,

Where did you get the ram mount from? Googled it and found the same one but they don't have the same bar clamp as yours in their pics.
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
ausguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post
Catchinup,

Where did you get the ram mount from? Googled it and found the same one but they don't have the same bar clamp as yours in their pics.
got mine on fleabay
ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Catchinup OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post
Catchinup,

Mate got the GPS and mounts from Johny Appleseed in Annerley Brisbane. Had everything in stock. They were great to deal with. Even matched the internet price from a rival Ryda.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Adenco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thanks for the info. Checked out the JA site.
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote